Old 04-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Is anyone else reading the Big Book AA?

I've been reading the Big Book, and now I have an assignment in it from my sponsor. I do get a lot out of the Big Book, but sometimes I quesiton its validity to my OA program. There is so much information in there that is directly related to alcoholism including the doctor's opinion, that I wonder how I'm supposed to just assume that the same facts can apply to another disease. The only way that I can figure it is if the information is about addiction rather than alcoholism, and therefore can be applied to any addiction. Any thoughts?
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #2  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Default No, but..

I am reading and re-reading the book "Why Can't I Stop Eating" and its such an invaluable resource for me. It references OA a lot and talks a bit about the big book. I haven't gone to an OA meeting yet as I am shy and I was worried about the religious aspect...in the book it says you don't have to be religious to be a member, but they seem to reference religion a lot..

Anyways I just wanted to put the book out there as I am at the end of DAY 4 abstinent from my addictive substances of sugar, flours, caffeine and fatty foods. I never thought it would be this easy. The fog is gone and I finally feel like a person again and not the walking dead..

Tara
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #3  

Yeah Tara!!!!
4 days is awesome! Keep it up. You know, I was concerned about the religious aspect of OA, as I am not "into" organized religion. There is no specific diety mentioned at all. They just think you should believe in a higher power. One of the phrases is along the lines of "God as we know him". There hasn't been any "religion" talk that I've been around. When you feel up to it, try it. It could be a lifesaver. I'm subscribed to the OA Newcomers group from
www.therecoverygroup.org There are lots of different specialized groups there too. Swing by and check it out sometime. The online meetings are great.
Love in recovery,
Jenn
Rosethorrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #4  

Tara,
Rosethorrne is right! You come to believe in a power greater than yourself--God as you know him or define him. No one will judge you, preach to you, or tell you who God is. There's even a chapter in the Big Book of AA that is written specifically to non believers/agnostics to help them understand this aspect of the 12 steps.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #5  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Thanks, guys! That's good to know! I'm on day 6 and feeling good. Tired, but good..i used to drink SOOO much caffeine!
In the book I referred to in my previous post, it even suggested thinking of the OA group, or your support group, or network of friends as your 'higher power' if the religious aspect doesn't do it for you.
I'm just wanting so bad for this to work for life, and I know 29 years of habits and emotional eating will not take overnight to break Just last night I had the munchie thinking, and i think it was the first time EVER I've been able to re-group, and just sip on a cup of sugarplum tea instead (no sugar, it tastes like fruit tea) So, that was a major victory..
thanks girls for your comments and I'm going to check out that link now!
Tara
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #6  

Natalia,

It's wonderful to hear that you are doing great! Reaching out for support is part of the solution. Keep it up!