Old 06-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/314/175

Height: 5ft6inches

Thumbs down Not sure what I would call it

I am new to this site, but guess that I am ready to talk about my problem out loud (well sort of) I am definitely an over-eater, but I don't binge at least not the way I have seen it described. I have recently come to the realization that I have a food addiction and it is triggered multiple times a day by multiple different things, some time good old fashion hunger and I just make the worst choices possible. I can't decide if I need to find an OA meeting in my area and go, or if professional help is really what I need, clearly I can not do anything about my habits and weight all but the thought having to say out loud that I am out of control is scary and frankly sounds a little ridiculous! Any suggestions for those of us just starting out on this crazy adventure would be welcome! and p.s. thanks for taking the time to listen
UnderH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

Have you tried speaking with a doctor? EVen your family doctor might help. Or sit in on a meeting and see if any of it sounds familar to you. Good Luck!!
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

I don't see why you would need professional help. You just need some education and commitment from yourself.

Have a look at what you've been eating and see what you can change. I think 3 easy things you can look at doing is reducing carbs in your diet, eating more protein and watching portion sizes. These things alone will make a difference.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 317/314/175

Height: 5ft6inches

Thank you very much for investing your time in replying, your advice is appreciated
UnderH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #5  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I understand what you mean. Honestly, if there are emotional triggers to your eating maybe counseling will be beneficial. If you talk to a doctor they may be able to rule out any physical causes like hypothyroid or a vitamin deficit. You may alsk want to discuss whether or not you are ok to exercise etc. Emotional triggers have bren the hardest thing for me to overcome on my own. Making small changes every day may be more sustainable. Figure out your basal metabolic rate to see what your body needs to function and work from there on a goal caloric intake.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #6  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

The thing with Compulsive overeaters iis it is not just a food problem but a living problem. By working the steps (which is an ongoing process), you are learning how to deal with life in new ways (without turning to food for comfort, love, etc). If you are not ready to go to a face to face meeting, there are online and telephone meetings you can check out. Hope this helps. Keep coming back. It works if you work it.
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote