Old 07-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #1  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Default My Introduction

HI, I'm Kim, compulsive overeater.
You may remember that I posted a few months ago asking if OA was for me. Various things have come together to show me that it is. I've just gotten a sponsor through trg.org, and started attending online meetings. I got a 12&12 and the OA workbook, and have just started reading.
Today is my first day on my food plan, which is what a nutritionist gave me a year or so ago. I already blew my abstinence today though, I had a small handful of cheerios when I was serving my son without even thinking! But I will continue on plan for the rest of the day.
I'd really like to know how other people approach this on a daily basis. I know you plan your food and commit that food to your sponsor and HP - how do you do that? Do you say a prayer or ?
How did you stop eating unconsciously?
Thanks!
Kim
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #2  

Welcome, Kim.

I'm glad you choose OA and it is a wonderful way to live life.

The first thing for me was to ask my HP to make me aware of when I was doing unconsious eating. Let me tell you that prayer was answered quickly, LOL! Then I decided well I asked to become aware so now I'll ask not to continue on that path and that is also answered on a daily basis. It's part of my daily prayer.

I love the fact that you are of new thinking, for me anyway when you talked about blowing your plan and continuing it for the rest of the day. Old diet thinking tells me what the heck I blew it I will start again tomorrow and you didn't do that, that's progress. Our 24 hours can start anytime.

Well, I've over answered your question as usual.

Keep coming back.
hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 355/326/219

Height: 5'10"

Kim,

welcome to OA...welcome home!

Doesn't it feel good to connect with other people who are living their lives with the same hurdles we are...to know we are not alone...so glad you found OA!

I begin my day by saying the Serenity Prayer...ending with "your will not mine be done" and the I ask for the willingness and ability to maintain my abstinence. This didn't happen overnight. It's taken me six months to get through the first 3 steps and I am just now at a place where I can see/feel/know that my prayers are being answered. Don't get me wrong...they were being answered before, I just chose not to hear.

I totally sympathize with your cheerios incident. We are so used to being mindless about eating that it's hard to become mindful. I like to think of it this way: if my mind is full of seeking God's will and actively choosing a path that leads to recovery...I am mindful(l)...there isn't room for anything else in my mind!

For me, the compulsion to eat for eatings sake has left. Now I eat because it is time to eat. I have set times and that's the only time it's okay to put food in mouth. I actually have more time in my life since I am not wasting it on compulsively eating all the time. I still struggle...at meal times if there is more food available I often will want to eat it...just because it's there...so God's not done with me yet!

trg.org is a great place to be when you can't get to a meeting...so is this board. keep coming back-it works if you work it and you're worth it!
junebug69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! It works if you work it.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote