Old 03-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 5"

Default First Meeting Stories

Hey everyone! I really want to go to an OA meeting, but am nervous about the first meeting. I was hoping people could tell first meeting experiences. It's such unknown territory for me...I mean you see AA meetings on t.v. and movies, but I have no idea what to expect from an OA meeting. I'm not sure how to prepare myself.

THANKS!!
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #2  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

I have been going to AA since I was 22, but I wasn't sure what to expect from an OA meeting.

It depends if there are a lot of people there or not. Also how they run their meetings. My first meeting was a 12 step meeting. I was identified as a newcomer so they read Step 1 and gave me a newcomer's packet, which is a group of pamphlets. People were very nice. There was not a lot of people there, so there was some quiet times during the meeting. This is really the only meeting I've attended because it is the closest one on the weekend.

But every meeting is different. Go and be open minded. They suggest to try at least 6 meetings before you form an opinion. Also, take what you like and leave the rest.
Good luck.
Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

thanks, amy. this is just the kind of story i need to help me.

there is a meeting at my local hospital on sunday nights and one at a church on tuesday nights. i probably should call the contact person to find out more about attendance and ask her about the first meeting.
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi jerzygirl,
That is the way to start out. Find a meeting, call the contact person and go for it. If you are like the rest of us when you walk in the door you will know you have come home.
Good luck,
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 314/292/150

Height: 5'6"

No preperation needed, just go. Nice people and when I went I did notice I was the second fattest one there. The rest had been going for at least three years and lost their weight. My sponsor was almost three hundred pounds, it took three years to take it off. I thought that was awsome! Slow and healthy is the best way. Oh, well here I go again running my mouth, just go you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck
MiddleSister
MiddleSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #6  

Just went to my first OA meeting yesterday. I was also kind of scared. But the more scary idea was to NOT go. By the way, I found everyone to be absolutely wonderful. Finally found a group of people who understand what I'm going through.

T
tvalle is offline   Reply With Quote