Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #1  
pregos

Height: 5'10

Default I need OA

I have been reading your furom and I went to OA.org and I think that OA is the program for me. It fits me to a T. The problem is the nearest meeting is 2 hours away. Is there anything I can do on my own that is similar. I need to get the binges under control. My husband is over weight also and I have never had to hide my eating because he always ate more than me but it has gotten so bad that I have been going to fast food places and ordering 2 meals and hiding it from him. I will go get something to eat on my way home and then eat supper with him. It is getting really bad and I don't know what to do about it.
glasgow314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there and welcome!

I recommend that you attend an OA meeting (even one 2 hours away) at least once a week. You can also attend open AA meetings that are closer to you. The steps are the same, and you can get program help and support just by listening to people in recovery-- no matter what the substance is.

I also recommend that you get a copy of the book "The 12 Steps and Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous". Read the first chapter on step one. You can order it from amazon or oa.org. There's a workbook that goes along with it that I found very, very valuable when working the steps for the first time.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #3  

Welcome and as usual Marny makes very good suggestions.

I attend AA meetings right now as my nearest OA is an hour away. The reason I haven't gone is it's a night meeting and I can't see to drive at night but as soon as the day extends to more light I will be going. AA is good and my meeting all the people support me even through they don't completely understand the food thing.

So if you are able to go I would do that and who knows you might find some people from your own town there and you could start your own, plus I thought I could do this with just God and me and found I couldn't and needed a sponsor so OA meetings are good places to get one.

There's also meetings on line at recovery.com. that are good.

keep posting and you will receive lots of help from those that have gone before.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #4  

Also on the OA website you can look up online and phone meetings...I attend a online meeting every morning and love it!!
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote