Old 12-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #1  

Height: 5'10"

Default What do you do when you are not hungry?

I suppose this a question I would ask my sponser if I had one, but I am in a group with good recovery but alot of new comers so sponsers are rare. Anyway...

What do you do when it comes to a meal time and you are really not at all hungry?

I am eating abstinently, following a sensible, nutritious food plan, eating three meals a day at regular intervals and have been losing weight steadily and sensibly. This week I have had a bad cold/virus (which has led to a slight feeling of nausea) and I have lost my appitite totally. I know it isn't because I have eaten too much the meal before or because there is an emotional desire not to eat... but this last week, I just haven't wanted to eat anything very much and food does not seem romotely appealling. What I have tried to do just eat my meals anyway, albeit planning for meals that are a little bit ligher than usual, but even then some meals I just really haven't felt like eating and have kind of had to force myself because I am worried about my calories dropping too low and I want to remain strong and healthy.

Before I came into OA I was a binge/starve cycler with slightly more emphasis on the binge so I worry not eating at all could push me into a cycle or something even though my head feels like it is in a different place. This lack of appitite is an odd/new feeling for me because I cannot remember a time before when I didn't want to eat even if I was ill! I would have just eaten anyway.

So what do you do? Do you try and eat regardless, because it is time and you need to? Do you allow yourself not to eat or eat very lightly and perhaps eat too few calories or start a cycle of poor eating? What do normal eaters do? I have no idea!

Last edited by Malinki; 12-23-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Malinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there-
I don't know what "normal" eaters do...I don't think I've met one yet!

When I'm sick, and my appetite is low, I stick to my meal times and eat what I can. Maybe it's a few crackers or a little soup. It's important for me to keep my body on its eating schedule. It's also important so that I don't start making excuses later in the day or the week about why I should be able to eat so much then, because I didn't eat before.

Hope you feel better soon.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote