Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/227/?

Height: 5'1"

Default another new member here

Hello all. My name is Beverly, and I'm a compulsive overeater. I am 38, single, no kids, two dogs... I have been overweight since about fourth grade. There have been a few times I have lost a substantial amount of weight and once even went 20 months without sugar. However, because I am an addict who was trying to make it on my own, I am once again out of control.

First, I want to thank you all for being a part of this forum. Though there is not a lot of activity here, I have really enjoyed reading the posts and responses. I really hope to see increased activity here and would also like to know if there are other OA forums on the web.

I am VERY new to OA and even to the 12 step programs yet I know I belong there. I have known for years. In fact, I've looked at the OA website many, many times over the years and looked up the meetings in my area. There have been times that I've called the contact listed and then did nothing more. There have been times that I've driven to the meeting location at the meeting time and then driven away.

Last Tuesday night, I walked in the door. Tonight I will go again. I've been very antsy this week, anxious to "get with the program" but still eating too much. I have read anything and everything I can find online but I think I need to buy some of the literature tonight so I can move forward.

I was a bit disappointed with my local meeting as it was a small group of only 3 members - 2 of whom never needed to lose weight and 1 who needs to lose weight but hasn't (in a year on the program). I had hoped to find people like myself with weightloss success stories. In my heart, though, I know this is what I need and hope to find this little meeting group will support me in my journey.

I have joined an email listserve for newcomers through the Recovery Group website but that has merely wetted my appetite for real conversation that I'm not yet finding. I know it will come. I think that finding a sponsor will greatly aid me with a guide on where to go from here.

Anyway... just wanted to say hello. I look forward to many days of insight and encouragement here.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey Beverly-
Welcome! Getting some OA literature will really give you some mental food to chew on. The OA 12 Steps and Traditions and a book called Abstince are both great. There is a daily meditation book called For Today.

It's wonderful that you have a local meeting, and even better that you had the courage to attend it. There is an ebb and flow to meetings as people come and go. It may grow in size, or not. I've found that the size of the meeting doesn't really matter. If your higher power has something for you to hear or learn, it only takes one person to say it.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/250/145

Height: 5'7

Hi Beverly, I went to my 2nd meeting this week (only one a week). The first time I attended, there were 4 people, including me and my friend who went. The second time I attended (by myself), there were nine. So don't let that discourage you. Just keep going. Even a person who only has one day of abstinence has something worthwhile to share. Just have faith in your HP and you will be just fine.
restlessspirit is offline   Reply With Quote