Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Height: 5'6"

Default just landed

hi all,
not sure if i'm doing this right as i have never posted to a forum before, so i hope this ends up in the right place .
i have battled with an eating disorder practically my whole life and now it has really come to a head. for the first time i am reaching out for help-outside of my friends-from people who can RELATE.
i am looking into possibly joining an OA group, but was wondering what people who have been or go to OA think of it.
it's not enough to be alone and struggling anymore.
thanks for any help!!!
210/205?/160
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi there-
Welcome to the board. Glad you're here.
Through OA I've gained a life that I never dreamed of. OA deals with the whole person not just the weight or the food. We work the 12 steps, and through them, we take a long, hard, honest look at ourselves, why we compulsively eat, what we fear, mistakes we've made, we learn to give control to our higher power, and clean up wreckage of the past. While we're working on all that stuff, we remain abstinent from compulsive eating, enjoy the support and love from other OA members, gain strength at meetings, and learn to trust another person by getting a sponsor.
It's hard work, but the rewards are incredible. I haven't felt alone since I joined OA. I know a group of people who fully understand the crazy compulsive thoughts about food that can take over my mind. They dont' judge me, instead they love me.
OA saved my life. I don't say that lightly. My life was spiriling downward when I finally walked through the doors of OA one year ago. If I hadn't, I would likely be dead.
OA isn't for everyone. Sometimes people just aren't ready for it. I suggest attending a couple of meetings and seeing if it's for you.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Height: 5'6"

HI!
Thanks so much for the reply. I was very interested in what you had to say about OA. It's kind of what I thought from the reading that I have done and other info I have heard from people. There are several meeting groups in my area and I think I will go to a meeting and see. I like the idea that there is a space out there where you are accountable for your actions, but still loved and not judged.
This space is so inspiring. *WOW*
Thanks again!
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/250/145

Height: 5'7

Hi there, glad you are here! I am kinda new myself, but just wanted to let you know...you are not alone!
restlessspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Hello you all -- I've struggled with binging all my adult life -- and part of my childhood, as well. I've often wished for a chapter of OA to open up in my little OK town, but nothing is available around here. HOWEVER -- a new chapter of "Compulsive Eaters Anonymous-HOW" is due to start soon.

Are any of you familiar with it? How does it differ from OA? I need feedback please, so I'll know whether to begin attending (and whether or not to encourage my daughter as well).

Thanks bunches from OK Lizzy
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/227/?

Height: 5'1"

Hi Lizzy - There is a CEA-HOW website that might answer some of your questions. I'm not sure how they differ from OA, but I see they are also based on the 12 steps.

Hi KOKO - I am new to OA so am not particularly wise. I just wanted to say "Welcome" and remind you that you aren't alone.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

I have not attended a HOW meeting, so I cannot speak from personal experience. However, my OA sponsor and one of my sponsees used to attend HOW meetings. From what they told me it's a very strict form of OA. HOW tells you what your abstinence and food plan have to be. There seems to be a good deal of guilt involved when someone breaks their abstinence or food plan.

This program could work well for some people. However, OA is all I know, and these HOW principles go against a great deal of the OA philosphy.

You could always try it and see what you think.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote