Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi bigjoe! Welcome! None of us have read the book, so no, you don't need to buy the book for the foods. Here is a Wikipedia article on the Slow Carb Diet that pretty much sums up the foods in a nutshell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow-Carb_Diet. I think you can find out online pretty much everything you might need to know about the diet as it appears in The Four-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. Missy is doing the actual Slow Carb Diet, but I believe the rest of us have modified it in individual ways that we feel works better for us. Whether you follow it to the tee or modify it in some way, do what works best for you, what will help you lose weight successfully, and what you feel you can stick to long-term. I hope this diet turns out to be a good fit for you! I look forward to the updates on your progress after Christmas!

Missy and Rennie, okay, let's all do our best to get back on plan now! Let's get in some really good days before we all have a yummy cheat day at Christmas! Remember, we can have whatever may tempt us ON CHEAT DAY! (I just keeping telling myself that, lol!)

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 12-22-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 315.8/ 311.6/ 200

Thanks Jacqui_D

I am looking at u tube and getting as much info as I can. Like to prepare my menu on paper so I know what my routine will look like. I am not much of a breakfast eater , but I may be able to do the protein drinks....

If u have a menu u like to share please let me know..

Thanks

Current weight 333 lbs - goal weight 200

Last edited by bigjoe; 12-21-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #153  

Bigjoe, I'm not much of a planner so I just kind of wing-it, but I have been posting what I eat each day if you want to see my actual meals. I do a modified version of the diet and here is an overall list of foods I eat. (It's possible I've missed something, but if I have, I'll add it when I think of it. ):

For 6 days of the week, I eat
--meat (and not necessarily lean or organic)
--fish
--legumes
--eggs
--non-potato veggies
--veggie-like fruits (like tomatoes, cucumbers, squash)
--nuts and seeds (no more than a handful at any one time)
--peanut butter (not natural, just regular Jif)
--full fat cottage cheese
--black olives
--condiments (including honey bbq sauce)
--full fat salad dressings (usually ranch)
--butter/margarine for cooking
--a sprinkle of shredded cheese on salad or an omelet
and I drink
--6 8-oz of water a day, often with Mio flavoring
--Diet Dr. Pepper
--Green tea with Splenda

For these 6 days, I avoid
--breads and grains (including corn)
--pasta
--dairy (other than eggs and cottage cheese)
--fruits (except veggie-like fruits)
--potatoes
--sweets

On the 7th day, Cheat Day, I eat anything and everything I want!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 12-21-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #154  

Thanks Jacqui_D
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #155  

You are welcome, Joe.

Okay, so I am back down a half lb to 175.5 today. Let's see how low I can get before Christmas!

Week 21:
2/21: 176
2/22: 175.5
2/23:
2/24:
2/25: Christmas-Cheat Day
2/26:
2/27:

Today's Meals:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a teapot of green tea, Mio water
Lunch: 2 pieces of fish, water
Snack: Diet Dr. Pepper
Dinner: salad with ranch dressing, meatloaf, green beans, a teapot of green tea, water

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 12-22-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #156  

Well my start date will be Sunday Jan 05, 2014.. Right after x-mas and
Saturdays will be my off days....

Last night my wife cooked some meat on the nuwave oven I just bought (First time we use it) .. It was good... I had some pinto beans with it.. Just a short preview....

Thanks for posting your menu as it will give me some ideas...
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #157  

Joe, you're welcome. I have a Flavorwave oven, which is the same as a Nuwave, and they are great!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #158  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

to the thread Joe

Joe I do best when I pre-plan also … "so why haven't I been doing it" you may ask … well I don't know, smh Great meal today

whew you all have been chatty

Jacqui if I could tell myself that, "I can have what I want on cheat day" and stick to it that would be great. But I actually need a closure for the area of my face called a mouth at this point. I have truly slipped up … maybe I should print your list in large font and post it on the pantry, fridge and above the stove … think that'll keep the focus?

I am not doing well at all, lots going on, too many things to focus on and my weight was up to 180.0 this morning.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #159  

Rennie, I'm sure things will get better after Christmas! As you said, so much is going on. And as I've said before, avoiding carbs is not just a willpower thing for those of us who have a carb sensitivity. Quick-burning carbs will trigger us to want more quick-burning carbs. So while one little sweet snack or a few chips or a little bread. pasta, rice, or potato added to a meal may seem harmless because it doesn't have many calories, it really is harmful because it causes us to crave more and we eat and eat. It's a vicious cycle. I don't know if posting the food list all over would help, maybe it would, lol, but I do know that you are going to have to reach a point when you say "no more, my health is too important to keep doing this," and no matter how bad the desire to eat bad carbs gets, you refuse to give in and you take control over your cravings instead of letting them control you. I don't know if right now, with Christmas so close, is the right time, but when you are ready, truly ready, you will do it!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #160  

I am still at 175.5 today. I had hoped my weight would make it back down before the next cheat day, but it seems to be going at its own sweet pace, lol! Hey, maintenance works!

Week 21:
2/23: 175.5
2/24:
2/26:
2/27:

Today's Meals:
Lunch: a handful of walnuts (it was a busy on-the-run day)
Snack: Diet Dr. Pepper
Dinner: Jimmy John's turkey, bacon, tomato, and cucumber unwrap (lettuce wrap), water

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 12-23-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #161  

Merry Christmas Eve Everyone!

I am back down another half-lb to 175! I have a busy day ahead, but I need to try to get in some more water today than I had yesterday.

Week 21:
2/24: 175
2/26:
2/27:

Today's Meals:
Lunch: cottage cheese (another very busy day)
Snack: Diet Dr. pepper
Dinner: ham, cooked carrots, vegetable soup, 2 deviled eggs, ice tea made with Equal

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 12-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #162  

Merry Christmas!

I went over to my brother-in-law's house for Christmas Eve dinner. I did my best to stay on plan, stayed away from the the cream bread, cheese ball and crackers, pies and homemade cookies, but it was impossible not to get some bites of corn and potato in the veggie soup they served. Along with the salt in the soup and ham, it's not surprising that I am up half a lb today! Oh well! I did my best. My hubby and daughter baked 15 dozen cookies and pumpkin bread yesterday and I didn't have a bite of any of it, so I really did try! I wasn't going to turn down my brother-in-law's vegetable soup despite the fact that it had corn and potatoes in it (he would have been offended since he went out of his way to make something healthy) and I ate around those as a best I could. C'est la vie! Today is still going to be a wonderful cheat day, and I won't be listing my foods today, lol! I hope everyone has a fabulous Christmas with friends and family!

Week 21:
2/24: 175
2/25: 175.5 Christmas-Cheat Day
2/26:
2/27:
Old 12-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #163  

Thanks Rennie and nice to meet you... I really want to start Tomorrow but I read it was better to start when you can do a 6 straight, then off day... Saturdays will be my off day since it will be family time.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

Joe
Old 12-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #164  

Joe, you can start whenever you want. The recommendation is just that you should not take a cheat day until you've been following the low-carb part of the plan for 5 days straight. If you start tomorrow, your cheat day would not be this Saturday (the 28th) but would be next Saturday (the 4th).

Oh my, oh my! How I ate and ate and ate today! I did so well at Thanksgiving by comparison. Today, I just pigged out! My downfall was the sweets! We had so many yummy desserts and so many homemade cookies, it was crazy! Normally, I stop eating when I get full, but not today. Everything tasted so good, I kept wanting more, and somehow I always found room for it. Carbs definitely won the battle today! I probably weigh 185.5! But hey, they start losing the war tomorrow, because I'll be right back to low-carb eating! I'd start trying to shed some of the water weight tonight by drinking some hot green tea, but I'm way too stuffed!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #165  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
Rennie, I'm sure things will get better after Christmas! As you said, so much is going on. And as I've said before, avoiding carbs is not just a willpower thing for those of us who have a carb sensitivity. Quick-burning carbs will trigger us to want more quick-burning carbs. So while one little sweet snack or a few chips or a little bread. pasta, rice, or potato added to a meal may seem harmless because it doesn't have many calories, it really is harmful because it causes us to crave more and we eat and eat. It's a vicious cycle. I don't know if posting the food list all over would help, maybe it would, lol, but I do know that you are going to have to reach a point when you say "no more, my health is too important to keep doing this," and no matter how bad the desire to eat bad carbs gets, you refuse to give in and you take control over your cravings instead of letting them control you. I don't know if right now, with Christmas so close, is the right time, but when you are ready, truly ready, you will do it!

Jacqui YOU HIT IT ALL ON THE HEAD tomorrow will be my new start weight. I am going to record it and whatever it is I will get under it and back to my ticker weight before the 1st. Oh I made eggs for the gathering yesterday and it seems that when I prepare the eggs ahead of time, I don't get that egg burp so maybe I can prepare them ahead of time and eat them that way. I'll let you know. I also made a ham in the crock pot yesterday, it came out pretty well. My Mom usually prepares the ham so I have never had to do it. My daughter wanted some vegetable stew so I made that for her. The calories aren't bad in it at all. Jacqui drinking the tea hot helps better than room temperature? It takes me awhile to finish sometimes. You won't gain 10lbs over night but trust me when I say I know I'm probably up to at least 183, smh. I'm starting over with you tomorrow

Joe, I hope whatever you decided that your day went well
Closed Thread