Old 05-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Thumbs up Sushi Sushi Sushi

I LOVE THE STUFF. I could eat it 3 or 4 times a week. I'm averaging about once a week. It can be very high in sodium. Especially when eaten with soy sauce. Even reduced. But...it is somewhat healthy. I am trying to cut back. The rice is not the best thing for me and not the best source grains I could be putting in my diet. I will allow myself sushi 2 times a month maximum from now on. I even like it more than dark chocolate. How sick am I?

Anyone else love it? Like it??? Kinda??
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Me Me Me!!!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #3  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Oooooh, ooooooh, ME TOO ME TOO!!! Another sushi fan here.
I love all kinds of nigiri sushi, not so much the maki rolls, and especially not the "california" style kinds--I like real Japanese sushi (except for natto) I guess you could call me a sushi snob.

Hmmmmm, if it were between sushi and dark chocolate......that'd be a tough one for me as I love both! I guess it would depend on what kind of either is put before me

Hi ValRock, isn't Hawaii great for getting fresh, good, REAL sushi?
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/207.6/135

i love it! i think i'd choose sushi over chocolate any day.
Jordan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:35 AM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka
Hi ValRock, isn't Hawaii great for getting fresh, good, REAL sushi?
OOOHHH yes!!! I'm leaving here in 2 months and I'm going to have major sushi withdrawls!! The grocery across the street from my house makes AWESOME Sushi to order. I'm in there a couple times a week at least but you CAN make it super healthy... My 2 year old will devour a tray of cali rolls before he'll even look at a chicken mcnugget LOL, I'd say it's a LOT healthier than Mcd's . Pass the Ama-ebi, Kani, Maguro, Tako, Unagi...... Please LOL. I just have them put mine on a tiny pat of rice and I don't feel so bad about it! There are definately worse things to eat!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #6  

I'm sort of middle-ground on sushi. But more than chocolate? Come on, people.
Sushi can be healthy sometimes, because it usually comes in little well portioned packs. Bewere however, that the rice is full of sugars (not just from the white carbs, but actual added sugar). It would be healthier to eat just the seafood or imitation crab or whatever it is you like wraped in seaweed.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #7  

i LOVE sushi (mmm. spicy tuna roll, tuna sashimi, eel, mackerel.mmm)with a lil soya and wasabi. yum. i also love seaweed salad. i could eat it ALL THE TIME but can easily spend $75 for a quick dinner out just me and the boy-- so we don't go very often.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #8  
Maintainer

I am spoiled because I have an AWESOME chinese buffet that has all you can eat sushi. They even have unagi, which is my personal favorite. I also love fatty tuna and salmon. California rolls are ok, but my personal favs are the fish, rice and nori. I love the wasabi and ginger too. I try to eat the reduced sodium soy sauce. But I am a huge fan. I know it's not calorie free eating, but it's low in fat, and very lite. A little goes a long way. There are far worse things to put into your body than sushi.

SUSHI FANS UNITE!!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I always get a sashimi plate (just the raw fish, no rice). It lets you eat the good stuff without filling up on rice.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #10  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrigan
I always get a sashimi plate (just the raw fish, no rice). It lets you eat the good stuff without filling up on rice.
I prefer the sashimi also. Our local seafood market will sell sashimi grade salmon, tuna etc. I like it with ginger, wasabi, and also hot vinegar pepper sauce.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 219/207.6/135

when i lived in denver, a friend and i were regulars at this sushi bar close to my work. the sushi chef was always making up little "experiments" for us to try. thanks goodness a lot of it was on the house, or we would have gone broke at that place!
I prefer sashimi. I tend to get full too fast if i go for too much of the stuff with rice.
Jordan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #12  
Maintainer

http://www.eatsushi.com Gives you all the locations of sushi sources all over the US if not the world.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #13  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

What I love about sushi - other than the taste - is that I can have a great meal for just a few hundred calories (even with a bit of the sticky rice). It's a good mix of protein and carbs with very little fat. We eat it at least once a week.

I really like broiled unagi too but it has to be HOT. There is nothing worse than cold or luke warm unagi, in my opinion!

Our sushi bar has a new 'cucumber special'. It has no rice, but the ahi, watercress and 'crab' mix are rolled in a slice of peeled cucumber (like a hollowed out cucumber) and cut into slices like a regular maki roll. It's our favorite and tastes great!

Other favorites are hamachi (like butter!) and albacore with ginger, garlic & ponzu sauce. Also baby raw scallops in spicy sauce. Yum.....I'm getting hungry for sushi now!!!

Last edited by penpal; 05-29-2006 at 12:22 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #14  

Once a month I go here

http://www.yosushi.com/experience.php

It's so fantastic, lots of little plates whizzing by. I get a selection of sushi and sashimi. It's such a great experience, the food is always fresh, and I look forward to it so much!!!

Because your sitting at a train looking at the food preparation area, you can go on your own and not look out of place.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I eat sushi whenever I can. It's the only food I can eat without feeling guilty. Whenever I do a full day of work, I get a tuna and cucumber roll, and it only has 120 calories in it. So I don't feel so bad when I get a small side dish from somewhere else.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote