Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #16  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Fresh tuna is a different experience (esp. raw sashimi yum, yum). But cooked it tastes hearty. Tuna and Salmon (and Swordfish) are hearty fish as opposed to, say, tilapia which is less filling. As to whether or not you will like it, all you can do is try it and see. Maybe you can go to a restaurant and try one of these to see if you like it.
IMO, Tuna and Salmon are much better raw (sushi quality), a lot of the flavor is zapped when it is cooked.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #17  
LLV

I love all kinds of fish. Salmon, yes, but I especially love orange roughy, tilapia, Mahi Mahi, shark, catfish, tuna steaks, etc. Normally I bake it, just spritzing it with fat-free butter spray. I prefer it just as is rather than putting a bunch of spices all over it. But I've always loved fried fish as well. So instead of deep-frying it, I oven-fry it. I buy the oven-fry breading for fish (or sometimes use my own with cornmeal and a little bit of flour) and bake it up all nice and crispy.

Tomorrow for my lunch I'm making salmon patties
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #18  

I have not been one to eat fish a lot but I make tilapia atleast once a week. They have a frozen bag of tilapia at Sam's Club and each filet is individally wrapped. I spray a little bit of fat free butter on it and add some lemon pepper seasoning and throw it in the oven. It taste sooo good. My 5 year old even eats it but I don't put the lemon pepper on his.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #19  

Grilled Orange Roughy is my favorite. If I want it seasoned I use either a little bit of lemon pepper or else Lawry's salt. It's great without any seasoning at all, though.
KayElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Ooh, I eat fish 2-3 times a week, except I'm exceedingly lazy! And I don't keep many ingredients in the house as they go bad quick, since I cook for one.

Fish is great for cooking for one, though! I usually cook 2 servings, actually, for leftovers. I use tilapia since that's what there's a lot of at my grocery store. It's a very mild fish. The fillets can be anywhere from 3-5 ounces where I buy it, so I get two. Then I get one of the Golden Dipt brands of sauces. I love the soy-based one, and the teriyaki one. They have between 30 and 60 calories. Anyway, marinade it in a plastic bag for as long as it takes me to exercise. Then preheat the oven to 450, clean the kitchen while it heats, pop it in, take a shower, and I come back and it's done.

I've never tried it on my Foreman grill. It seems like it'd be a little awkward to cook, I don't know, do thin fish fillets like tilapia work? Or do you get a bigger fillet, like an orange roughy or something? Marinade it first? Does it really cook everything if the thinner part of the fillet isn't touching the grill because it's too skinny?

Oh, and one more trick! I love the A Taste of Thai peanut coating! I use it like Shake and Bake, coat the fish in that (no need to dip it in anything, I've found it sticks to fish just fine), toss it in a pan in the oven, and cook as above.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:21 PM   #21  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I love fish too! We eat fish at least 3x a week

Tilapia is a good standby to have on hand as the fillets are just right for a serving and it holds together well (doesn't fall apart when you flip it over - if you are frying it).

I've just discovered an unusal fish that I haven't seen here in the States. Our local grocery stores have started carrying Whiting. It comes as long narrow fillets with very thin skin on one side. I bought a big bag full (frozen) for $3.99 which worked out at about $1 per pound! Whiting is a delicious ocean fish and I just dipped it in egg then a little flour and pan fry it in about a tablespoon of olive oil - yum! It smells a bit "fishy" before it's cooked, but when it's done it is very mild - not "fishy" tasting at all - very much like tilapia or trout. One fillet (about 5 oz.) has only 100 calories. I believe it's in the smelt family.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

That reminds me. Just how many calories ARE in tilapia? I really have no idea.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #23  
Working My Way Back Down

We eat salmon all the time, but then I live in Alaska, and my DH catches it. I love it grilled, sometimes marinated in things similar to those listed here, though I find the barbeque too overpowering. I also like it baked with a sauce made of equal parts lf mayo and lf or ff plain yogurt, and dill. You can also add chopped onions. I use this the first time I cook it, and have also used it on leftover salmon that was cooked plain (i.e. no marinade).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #24  
banned

Location: Connecticut, but next year I plan on going to college in Colorado.....We shall see!!!

Sablefish, Salmon, Scallops and Shrimp (haha all start with S) are my ALL TIME FAVORITE fish!!
(of couse Chilean Seabass rocks as well...but its over fished )
(Swordfish is awsome as well, but that damn mercury!!)
Giasbash6260 is offline   Reply With Quote