Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #16  

This is a little weird, but I discovered it accidentally going to the salad bar once, and loved it. Hot corn w/ cold cottage cheese. I don't know why, but it is just really good. Not too sure if that helped turn you on to it, though But if anyone out there is adventurous.......
Tonkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:06 AM   #17  

Another way to eat cottage cheese, is to mix onion, celery, peppers, diced carrot and any other veggie you would like. Put lots of pepper on it and stuff it into a half a pita. Really good.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #18  

Well, I don't like cottage cheese either. I have tried to acquire a taste for it, but no go. And I've decided I won't eat foods I don't enjoy. I'm willing to try new things, and sometimes I'm surprised to find that I like them. But there are already lots and lots of healthy foods I DO enjoy, so why punish myself?

It's admirable that you're giving so many new foods a try. And it sounds like you are really liking some of them. Do try the various CC recipes, but I really don't think you should eat foods you genuinely dislike. Diet or no diet, food and eating it should be pleasurable experiences. If you don't like what you're eating, you'll still be hungry for "the good stuff".

That's just my opinion, but...
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #19  
sick and tired no more...

S/C/G: 171.5/see ticker/120

Height: 5ft 1in

Well, thanks to this post, I remembered how much I love cottage cheese and went out and bought three packs of 1%. Personally I love it with the sweet stuff - I take the CC and a bunch of grapes cut in half (or unsweetened peaches) and mix them together - I LOVE it, but it was an acquired taste. I think that you can learn to love new foods over time and I applaud your effort to change your eating habits.
psych_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I make what I call "Ilene's pancake" .... 3 egg whites, !/2 cup of oatmeal in a no stick pan. And then I dip my pancake in a half cup of cottage cheese. So much wonderful protein and no fat!
You could sweeten that with fruit or eat it savory with the onions and stuff. Salsa?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:04 AM   #21  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

i don't really care too much for cottage cheese either. maybe it sounds dorky, but if you combine the old cliche "we are what we eat," with "cottage cheese thighs," then... well, sometimes i think about this when i think about eating cottage chesse. i guess i am a yogurt person.
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #22  
Battling the Inches

S/C/G: 185/162/142

Height: 5'7

You can Always make my special creamed spinach with the cottage cheese :P...

Although I have no measurements, I always EYEball it... this is what I do:

about half a cup of Cottage Cheese (I use the lite kind) (maybe more than that)
Scoop of "Better than Cream Cheese" (I think its soy creamcheese? )
Scoop if "Not butter" MArgrine (lite kind)--this is also optional--only for flavor.
Some Chopper onions, and a little bit of sweet bell pepper (Both fresh).
Of course: Fresh chopped spinach!!

Toss the wet togather in a pot and heat till the "not" creamcheese softens alot. (practically liquid)
Throw in the onions and peppers.... stir......stir......stir......
Then put in the chopped spinach (its easier to eat witht he smaller the choppings).
If it looks too liquidy, add more spinach! Keep stirring--- the spinach will become soft.....and creamy...

Let it cool for a bit... then enjoy!! OMG its to die for (if your into that, but im a spinach freak!!!)
LunaValkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #23  
Nox

What about ricotta cheese - you can get the low fat versions, and it is creamier in texture, and has a nice sweeter taste to it I find. Or Quark, a soft cheese too, and I know it used to be available in Canada in fruit flavours, as a snack item.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #24  

Default good source of protein

Well, i lift weights and its a good source of protein. Someone once called it the food of the Gods well I might add Goddess also. No really its low in fat
( get the small curd kind) and it grows on you after awhile.

flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #25  

Default Pink Fluff makes me love cottage cheese!

I too never like cottage cheese in my life until recently. Now I love it. I do have to admit that it has to be small curd though which I have not seen in fat free. The waY I eat mine is take container of cottage cheese, pour in box of dry sugar free strawberry jello mix, some crushed pineapple, and alittle cool whip. I call this pink fluff......it is delicious!!! Not only are you getting some protein in but alittle fruit too. Make sure you don't eat it all at once!!
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #26  

Small curd is much more typical than large curd, and I have ONLY seen fat-free in the small curd version. I love cottage cheese but I think fat-free tastes pretty bad, so if you're eating low-fat you're probably better off. The calorie difference isn't that great, anyway.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #27  
it's always something

Breakstones makes a good nonfat cottage cheese, though I prefer the low fat varieties. I love to sprinkle cottage cheese with a zesty seasoning, and serve a pickle on the side.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #28  
Work in Progress

I like mine in the morning, mixed with sliced berries, splenda, cinnamon and almond slivers.....yummy

Also tastes good mixed with tomatos, cucumbers, red onion, salt pepper and a splash of O&V

I like it because it is high protein and keeps me going for a while...
Rowan Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #29  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Bailey
Also tastes good mixed with tomatos, cucumbers, red onion, salt pepper and a splash of O&V
that sounds YUMMY!! I'm going to try that!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #30  

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions! I was surprised to see my thread revived. I hope it inspired someone else to try cottage cheese too. You will all be happy to know I am now eating cottage cheese at least 4/5 times per week. I have settled on the no salt, lowfat variety. I add splenda and vanilla and usually strawberries. Last week, I added a box of sugar free chocolate jello and that was great too! I would have never guessed I could make myself like cottage cheese. Who is this new person?!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote