Old 06-18-2005, 04:50 PM   #1  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Question Calcium

I just got the results of my bone density scan, and my doctor says I have osteopenia. He told me that I should increase my calcium to 1500 mg per day, and my vitamin D to 400 iu per day. The nurse who ran the test also told me to eat calcium rich foods and dairy in addition to the supplements.

I currently take a Caltrate chewable (with D) twice a day, so I will bump that up to three times. The challenge for me will be the food and dairy. It's not that I don't like milk, etc, it's just that it uses up more of my calories than I'm comfortable with, to get what the doctor wants me to get. One can only stand so much skim milk.

I guess my question is this: If I already take supplements, how much additional milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. should I aim for additionally? The doctor wouldn't give me a straight answer.

Last edited by Betani; 06-18-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #2  

hello
just a little tip green leafy vegetables and soy also contain calcium (spinach is a good source and low calorie) here is a link for the infomation http://www.vegsoc.org/info/calcium.html

vitmain D can actually be produced by the interaction of sunlight on the skin (esp. true for lighter skinned people)...its a nice excuse to spend more time outside
yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #3  

Other good sources of Ca: fortified orange juice, some brands of tofu (if made with calcium it would be about 30% of the daily value), sesame seeds, collard greens or kale, almonds, many dried beans (I think pinto and navy are highest).

Check the Vegetarian Resource Group website www.vrg.org for information on how vegans get calcium in their diet.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #4  

I am trying to get my calcium up to "par" and I usually try to consume 1000mg a day. Thats what the FDA recommends for 2000cal. Even though I'm not consuming that many calories, I try to keep my calcium up close to that. It's not that hard for me since I just discovered a love of yogurt (fat free) and string cheese.

One piece of string cheese is 20% of the calcium, one of the yogurts is 25%. So basically, 2 pieces of string cheese and 2 yogurts is 95%. That doesnt count the calcium in some vegetables I eat (broccoli and spinach) and my oatmeal is 10% (more if i make it with milk)

I always buy the type of cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc that has the most calcium. Light n Lively has a LOT more calcium than most brands of cottage cheese for example and for a lot less calories/fat. Most brands one serving is 8% of the recommended and light n lively is 20%. Little changes like that can make a huge difference.

But seriously... string cheese is my latest LOVE. Its easy for me to overeat cheese, but not if its just a piece of string like that. And it takes me longer to eat it by pulling off strands than just a cube of cheese.
teckeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote