Old 01-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #16  

but i am eating approx 10 eggs a day with 5 yolks or sometimes even 10 yolks in a day . when i eat more yolks approx 10 i feel pain in mine head (may be headache)after 4-5 hours or sometimes after 2-3 hours
if i dont eat yolks i cant sallow whites as it dont tastes good
i do exercise for 2 hours daily for 6 days a week (heavy weight training and cardio)

Last edited by AKS020; 01-21-2012 at 03:03 AM.
AKS020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #17  

2 eggs should be fine

Remember it is not so important how high your total cholesterol level is, what is important is how high your ldl cholesterol -bad cholesterol - is you want to keep this level down.
einszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #18  

Height: I'm really short!

I wouldn't eat more than 2 eggs a day, your body already makes cholesterol
If I haven't had eggs in a week, 4 eggs that one day I would think it's okay unless I ate something else high in cholesterol

Like someone else said, eggs whites; I put 1 whole egg (with yolk) and in with 3 additional egg WHITES
Jan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #19  

Egg whites!! If you really like/need to eat the yolk, keep it to one whole egg, and add two to three servings of egg whites...it's the protein from eggs that's important, and the protein is found in the whites, not the yolks. Personally, I only like the yolks if I'm eating a whole egg cooked over easy/medium. So if I'm making scrambled eggs or an omelet, I actually prefer the whites, as I don't like the taste of fully cooked yolks.
monstermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I thought it was now proven that there is no link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. Meaning you can eat all the eggs you want. Apparently, people on Atkins do and it doesn't affect their cholesterol.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #21  
Erin

S/C/G: 210/172/145

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the egg whites if you can stand it. If not, maybe make one whole egg with an egg white added. I've heard of a lot of people doing that who love their eggs!

I had high cholesterol at a dr's check up once when I was living a pretty unhealthy lifestyle and it only took a couple months to turn around with diet and exercise. I'm only 22 though so that might not be the case for all!
ErBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan2012 View Post
I wouldn't eat more than 2 eggs a day, your body already makes cholesterol
If I haven't had eggs in a week, 4 eggs that one day I would think it's okay unless I ate something else high in cholesterol

Like someone else said, eggs whites; I put 1 whole egg (with yolk) and in with 3 additional egg WHITES
I thought that its mostly the cholesterol that your body already makes that affects the cholesterol levels, not the dietary cholesterol (those two don't add up together). All the articles I read just say that the dietary cholesterol from eggs "may" lead to high cholesterol-and "to be safe" eat 1-2 max a day. they did 1 study with women, but the women wouldn't eat more than 1 egg a day (grrr if they only they ate more so we'd have more statistical evidence) and their levels were fine, hence the 1 egg a day is ok rule, but I eat more than that lol.
I love eggs, they fill me up. I did the whole egg white thing-bought cartons (tried getting organic, but they prob mistreat those chickens-and the texture is strange), separated the eggs (annoying and a waste, the farmer's eggs are $$). So now I just eat the egg, egg whites alone make me hungrier.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #23  
threenorns

i have VERY VERY low cholesterol - low enough that i always get a kick out of a dr's reaction on seeing the results for the first time (and more than once, they've reordered the test to confirm) - and i have always eaten butter, dairy, cheese, etc, like it's going out of style. i ate red meat daily.

the only reason i don't now is because of my low calorie allowance but you can bet your booties as soon as i've got caloric wiggle room, the first thing back on my menu is steak!

the trick to lowering your cholesterol as fast as possible is to force it to do its job: make bile. eat lots of oatmeal - minimum 2c/day - doesn't matter what kind, even the packet crap is okay. if you want major bang for your healthy buck, use steel-cut oats, add psyllium, maybe a bit of quinoa, and 3 dried fruits such as cranberries, cherries, and blueberries. 2c/day - but not at once, eat 1c morning and 1c evening. the inulin in the oatmeal and psyllium binds with bile and carries it out of your system. your system must then make more and to do that, it pulls cholesterol out of your bloodstream.

and violins!: lower cholesterol!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopdoop View Post
Can anyone tell me whether or not it is actually harmful to consume that much dietary cholesterol every day? I've heard a lot of back and forth talk about whether it's actually an issue or not for people without heart disease.

Some background on me:
I'm young, early 20s
Workout 5+ times a week
Don't consume a significant amount of cholesterol from any other foods
On a low-cal diet
You could use one whole egg and several egg whites or more to make your omelets. There is no cholesterol or Fat in the whites and they contain most of the protein. Some say, egg whites are the perfect protein and I live by it and I only eat meat for protein when I'm out of egg whites.

1 Egg white = 17 calories, 0g carbohydrates, 0g fat, 4g protein
1 Egg yolk = 58 calories, 1g carbohydrate, 5g Fat, 2g protein

Egg White Conversion Chart

3 tbsp. = about 1 large egg white
1/3 cup = about 2 large egg whites
3/4 cup = about 4 large egg whites
1 cup = about 8 large egg whites

Article

Eggs and Heart Disease

LINK

"Recent research has shown that moderate egg consumption—up to one a day—does not increase heart disease risk in healthy individuals (1, 2) and can be part of a healthy diet. (Make sure to store eggs in the fridge and cook them until the whites and yolks are firm, to prevent food-borne illness."

JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #25  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I had high cholesterol as a kid when I wasn't eating eggs. I ate cheerios every day. I was also pretty darn obese, so that might have had more to do with it.

I don't know how things are, but it's one of the things I'm concerned about now since I eat eggs all the time because of their protein content. In May I'll finally have health insurance again, so I plan to get a bunch of things done.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #26  
too big to fail

I have been troubled by the serum cholesterol / egg intake quagmire for various reasons. There is certainly a conflict in the literature based upon the fact that some people appear to have an increase in serum cholesterol based upon dietary intake and others do not. Depending on which patients are ruled out because of adjustments for lifestyle seems to sway the results of the studies more than anything. Since this appears to be the case I would recommend that you do a study for yourself: eat your regular diet including two eggs per day for eight weeks. Get a cholesterol screen at the doctor. If your numbers are within the optimal range you have your answer.

P.S.- I am not an expert so please ask your doctor's opinion first.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 04-09-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #27  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

The more eggs I eat, the more my Cholesterol goes DOWN... so who knows. I don't personally see a link between healthy natural sources of cholesterol and my blood serum, other than in the opposite way 'they' say it should show.

Last edited by ValRock; 04-09-2012 at 01:46 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopdoop View Post
Can anyone tell me whether or not it is actually harmful to consume that much dietary cholesterol every day? I've heard a lot of back and forth talk about whether it's actually an issue or not for people without heart disease.

Some background on me:
I'm young, early 20s
Workout 5+ times a week
Don't consume a significant amount of cholesterol from any other foods
On a low-cal diet
The Mayo Clinic

Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol?
Are chicken eggs good or bad for my cholesterol?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

By Thomas Behrenbeck, M.D., Ph.D.

“When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.

• If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.

One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites.”

JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #29  

Height: I'm really short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelllate View Post
I thought that its mostly the cholesterol that your body already makes that affects the cholesterol levels, not the dietary cholesterol (those two don't add up together). All the articles I read just say that the dietary cholesterol from eggs "may" lead to high cholesterol-and "to be safe" eat 1-2 max a day. they did 1 study with women, but the women wouldn't eat more than 1 egg a day (grrr if they only they ate more so we'd have more statistical evidence) and their levels were fine, hence the 1 egg a day is ok rule, but I eat more than that lol.
I love eggs, they fill me up. I did the whole egg white thing-bought cartons (tried getting organic, but they prob mistreat those chickens-and the texture is strange), separated the eggs (annoying and a waste, the farmer's eggs are $$). So now I just eat the egg, egg whites alone make me hungrier.
This is not from me, but what I learned in class, it's a Pharmacology class
Your body makes most of the cholesterol needed, but, intake (dietary) cholesterol coming from eggs, meat, and other saturated fat sources can lead to higher cholesterol in your blood. There is influence either small or significant, but it largely depends on how your own body works, if you're healthy, are you predisposed to a condition etc. that is why doctors advice low consumption for the general population, to prevent complications. If you know your body well, some people can eat a lot of cholesterol and have low cholesterol in the blood! That's crazy!

Last edited by Jan2012; 05-04-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Jan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 161/143/130

Height: 5'5

Dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol despite misleading names.
Saturated fat =/= increased risk for heart disease or higher cholesterol.
Papers/publications/people still say otherwise b.c. it's what they've always heard, but there are more recent studies that prove it wrong.
So two eggs a day should be fine!
Elsewhere is Fine is offline   Reply With Quote