Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #16  
Workin' It

I love the Stonefield Farms yogurts, and the Rachel's. Lately I've been getting the Archer Farms (Target) brand. They don't have any artificial sweeteners. Don't know about the total sugar content though, haven't looked at that.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Thanks everyone! I looked at my supermarket and settled on one carton of Stonyfield (lemon), two cartons of Wallaby (raspberry and orange passion fruit), and one carton of Fage (with peach on the side). The Fage was the only Greek yogurt I could find, so I'm giving it a try!
I'm thinking of slowly trying to wean myself onto just plain yogurt and sweetening it myself, but for now I'm trying these three brands out, which, at the very least, seem a lot more healthy than Yoplait. The Fage with peach label looks best, with only 16g of sugar and no claims of "low fat" (I don't like low fat foods), compared to the other ones, which had similar sugar contents to Yoplait (but in general had healthier ingredients).
^o^ YAY YOGUR

Last edited by megwini; 07-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #18  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You know, Stonyfield's vanilla contains 33 g sugar, and most of the fruit flavors are in the mid twenties. One must keep in mind of the natural lactose in milk, which is a sugar. Plain yogurt has about 14-16 grams per cup, and Greek has 8-10 grams per cup. So the sugar added isn't actually as much as it seems.

I also must add that even if you buy plain and sweeten it yourself, even with honey, agave, or fruit, you are adding sugar. Yes, you monitor how much, but still.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 07-19-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

I like Fage 0% Greek yogurt and I like it plain, I may add fruit sometimes but I don't need any other sugar. I also like it for recipes, it's great for dressings, soups...Even for potato salad it is a better substitute for mayo.

Nothing artificial in it, just skim milk and the cultures. Excellent source of protein.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #20  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess View Post
I also must add that even if you buy plain and sweeten it yourself, even with honey, agave, or fruit, you are adding sugar.
However, agave and fruit are lower on the Glycemic Index so they do not elevate a persons blood sugar as refined sugar and (yes) honey do.

I started adding a green food into my smoothie over a year ago. I had been adding yogurt, previously, but the green food has all the probotics in it. I asked my nutritionist if I could omit the yogurt and got the ok. I now only use plain yogurt as a substitute for oil in baking.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #21  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by megwini View Post
Thanks everyone! I looked at my supermarket and settled on one carton of Stonyfield (lemon), two cartons of Wallaby (raspberry and orange passion fruit), and one carton of Fage (with peach on the side). The Fage was the only Greek yogurt I could find, so I'm giving it a try!
I'm thinking of slowly trying to wean myself onto just plain yogurt and sweetening it myself, but for now I'm trying these three brands out, which, at the very least, seem a lot more healthy than Yoplait. The Fage with peach label looks best, with only 16g of sugar and no claims of "low fat" (I don't like low fat foods), compared to the other ones, which had similar sugar contents to Yoplait (but in general had healthier ingredients).
^o^ YAY YOGUR
I really like the Wallaby yogurt, though it is a runnier variety. Our grocery stores rarely have any kind of Greek yogurt, and when they do it's very expensive.

My DH eats Mountain High Original Style (full fat) Vanilla. It is delicious, and I often take a spoonful and mix into my cottage cheese, or ff yogurt - very tasty that way.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #22  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Guess I am just wierd I like yougrt Plain. In our market area I buy Dannon Non fat 110 cal 1 cup 16 carbs 11 protien no fat. I just eat the fruit with it or cut it up. Also I use yogrt for my salad dressing I just mix spices and hebs in with it that way I get no fats save on extra sodium and get protien.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renacer View Post
I like Fage 0% Greek yogurt and I like it plain, I may add fruit sometimes but I don't need any other sugar. I also like it for recipes, it's great for dressings, soups...Even for potato salad it is a better substitute for mayo.

Nothing artificial in it, just skim milk and the cultures. Excellent source of protein.
This, although I usually get the Chobani brand 0% (they sell it in huge containers at our BJ's, making it more cost effective). I get the plain and mix in about 1/2 cup of berries and no other sweetener. A serving (which is bigger than the blended yogurts, by the way) has 100 calories, something like 18 grams of protein, and 7 grams of carbs. With the berries mixed in, it's not too much more. Because it's so thick and has so much protein in it, it really fills me up.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 184/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I eat Fage (whole) almost everyday for breakfast....add in a little stevia to sweeten, top with some homemade granola, and berries....so good it almost tastes like dessert and it keeps me full until lunch! I've cut 95% of frakenfoods out of my diet and do not buy into low-fat being better for us so this works for me .
firefliesandpixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #25  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I love Stonefield Organic and add fresh fruit to it. Yummmy
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote