3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Nutrition and Labeling

Old 10-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #31
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
That is exactly what I do. If you read my success story, my main focus was to "eat foods with powerful nutritional benefits and avoid foods with limited/no nutritional benefits." That is my key to success in a nutshell.

For me, corn is a whole grain that has nutritional benefits, it didn't hinder my weight loss or my weight maintenance. I like the taste of it, I think it's good for me. I gave up a lot of stuff - fast food, soda, packaged baked goods, nearly all packaged/processed foods - corn is not a food I am willing to give up (like red wine, or dark chocolate, it has its place in my healthy lifestyle).

Everyone's weight loss is very personal and individual, you have reasons for not eating corn, that's cool, but none of your arguments have been compelling enough for me to limit corn as a whole food choice (I do completely agree with you about corn as an additive, sweetner, factor in processed foods - I really work hard to avoid foods like that).
Fair enough.

Some can handle it and some can not.

And I can understand not giving up dark chocolate and red wine. First thing I will likely do when I get my specially compounded Benedryl is pick up something in dark chocolate. Not suppose to have it but I miss it and I have earned it. Though the quantity will be very small and if I stick with pure Belgian I have less issues with my allergy.

I shouldn't do chocolate but I will pick it up and save it for a day when I am having a reaction already if that makes sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just want to point out that I'm not the only person in the world to think along these lines. Far from it.

Here are a couple pieces of interesting reading:

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Diet-a...-Your-Diet.htm

http://books.google.ca/books?id=PLbM...MWY#PPA105,M1- Please see page 105 for the avoids list.

I will put it here too:

Quote:
O blood type, the big avoids for you are wheat and corn.
A blood type, the big avoids for you are red meat, wheat, and nightshades such as eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and tobacco.
B, your main avoids are chicken, corn, and lentils.
AB, yours are wheat and corn.

Source: The Female Hormone Journey by Pamela Levin
I can list those all day but another one to look at is Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type. For those not wanting to spend the money on it - many public libraries have it, or chapters usually has in store reading areas.

http://www.dadamo.com/typebase4/recipes.htm Here is his site though that is the direct link to recipes... some great ones there.

Another source of information:
http://herbtime.com/InformationPages/blood_type_o.htm
http://herbtime.com/InformationPages/blood_type_b.htm
http://herbtime.com/InformationPages/blood_type_ab.htm
http://herbtime.com/InformationPages/blood_type_a.htm

Some interesting reading in those...

Reality is that everyone will do as they please but some may be having a hard time figuring out why they can't lose and are gaining while they regularly are snacking on popcorn, or baby corn, or a product with a corn ingredient in it.

For those who can eat it... My hat is off to you. I may be allergic to it but my god I loved the taste of corn on the cob... and pops like Cream Soda are like crack in a can! I swear... I still have shaky knees when I smell it.

Nothing changes the fact that it is very horribly wrong for me... And many others out there.

Oh to be a type A with NO allergies for a day... Just one. So I could eat corn. But then I would have to give up my steak, and seafood diet. Tough life but someone has to have it. *chuckle* My mom and sister are type A's

Ok! Straight up... First time through... I lost and then got sick and gained more than I had lost. Second time through I lost, got where I needed to... Enjoyed it. Took prednizone (oh lordy how I hate it) and was creeping back toward my worst.
So let's do this (C is stopping point apparently):
1st: S/C/G: 334/280/200 - 2007-2008
2nd: S/C/G: 369/291.2/200 - 2009-2010
NOW:

2012-For life!
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #32
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Here are a couple pieces of interesting reading:

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Diet-a...-Your-Diet.htm
Just to make sure we're all on the same page...none of the people in this thread have said that High Fructose Corn Syrup is something we lost weight while eating a lot of. We're talking about whole corn - corn as a whole grain. High Fructose Corn Syrup is a processed chemical food additive, which I think most people agree isn't great for you (even if HOW bad they think it is varies). But you're not going to be ingesting HFCS by eating popcorn.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 AM   #33

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Some people find that they have more success avoiding a "weakness" food altogether than trying to eat it in moderation. And there's nothing wrong with that, but I think that moderation should be where we start, and elimination should be a last resort. I think for most people, a diet (as in way of eating) works best if it is the least restrictive possible. Everyone will have to restrict their diet to a different degree, and that's all fine, but by only restricting it as far as we have to and no further, we can experience the least amount of deprivation. That's my theory anyway, and it's been working a lot better for me than when I thought the other way around (and my list of what I "couldn't" eat was longer than the list of things I "could")

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #34
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuter w Curves View Post
First thing I will likely do when I get my specially compounded Benedryl is pick up something in dark chocolate. Not suppose to have it but I miss it and I have earned it.
I don't understand that at all. How have you "earned" something you are allergic to? Why will it be okay to eat one thing you are "allergic" to (chocolate) yet not another (corn)?

Tell me more about the "specially compounded" Benedryl...where do you get it? What is special about it? I am intrigued!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #35
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

One thing I would mention is that Eat right 4 your body type is not something I would reference as a source... The information in that book is psuedo science in twisting studies with minimal conclusions and trying to state them as facts. The author has made lots of money off of it but I wouldn't judge the statements in that book as true based on the sales.

Also, I agree that no one here is saying corn derivatives and processed foods aren't good for you but Corn itself does have benefits. If you have an allergy to corn, that is one thing and feel free to avoid it.

I am all for a diverse diet and I think we should include corn as part of our diet if we enjoy it and don't have any medical reasons for not doing so. I don't care much for corn, I eat it about once or twice a year but I think it is a good addition to some dishes. I enjoy a zucchini/corn/tomato salad as well as beans mixed with corn and diced tomatoes.

My husband on the other hand loves corn and could eat it every day. I try to remember that he likes it so much so I try to buy it (mostly frozen) so that he can have it even if I don't eat it.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #36

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I try to remember that he likes it so much so I try to buy it (mostly frozen) so that he can have it even if I don't eat it.
I was a bit clever this year. While corn was at the peak of its season at the farmer's market, and extra delicious, I bought more ears than we could eat each week and processed the surplus for freezing: I just cut off the kernels and blanched them for 30 seconds or so. I'm pleased: we'll have sweet, peak corn all throughout the winter.

I did the same with zucchini, actually, because shredded zucchini is the most versatile food in the universe.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #37
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
One thing I would mention is that Eat right 4 your body type is not something I would reference as a source... The information in that book is psuedo science in twisting studies with minimal conclusions and trying to state them as facts. The author has made lots of money off of it but I wouldn't judge the statements in that book as true based on the sales.
I was wondering when the "Eat right for your eye/skin/hair color diet" would come out after that one was so popular!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #38

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

This has been a bit of a peeve of mine recently: "Magical thinking" when it comes to weight loss and health advice seems. The less scientifically reasonable the theory, the more weight (pardon the pun) it is given by those who believe it.

If you can chalk ALL of our problems to a single factor (whether it be corn, or aspartame, or high fructose corn syrup, or whatever) then the answer is easy. And who doesn't want an easy answer, but easy answers are usually wrong answers.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #39

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Magical thinking, other peeves, and good reading!

Well said, Colleen, that "all or nothing"..."magical thinking" is more than a pet peeve; that perfection mentality derails so many of us.

I am NOT talking about food allergies, about which I know nothing..

Cuter with Curves, I think you would enjoy the book Nelie mentioned: The Omnivore's Dilemma. Both SO and I are fascinated by it.....nothing is quite as it seems and the food chain/sources is so very complicated...fascinating reading.

I was reading the post about insulin resistance, and I am thankful to say I don't have any experience with that, either, but it might be helpful to pick up a copy of The Zone by Dr. Barry Sears and read it. There are ways to mitigate the quick insulin spike with some protein and high quality fat; I am not saying it is magic or that we have to be as strict as he advocates, but I did feel pretty darned good on the Zone diet, and I will be forever grateful that he got me going on Omega 3s all those years ago. My skin, hair, cholesterol and triglycerides are all enormously improved.

As for corn, can I "get an amen" for Hominy? I LOVE it!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #40
Finding My Bliss

MMM, I used to love grits with (vegan) cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and tomatoes! I need to make that soon.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 AM   #41
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Yeah Corn-on-the-cob

Corn-on-the-cob has been a summer favorite for the 25 months of my journey.

It's been a special joy that I grew to like it cold, without salt, and without butter. Sooooooo good Would NEVER have believed that I'd like corn without butter. I savor the corn-ness taste now. Think I was mostly savoring the butter and salt before.

When I pack an ear of corn with lunch for work, I don't pack bread.

maryblu (and others) - Glad you mentioned The Omnivor's Dilemma. That book helped me become even more determined to avoid processed foods, particularly those with HFCS. Early on I used "Low fat Half-and-Half" in my morning coffee. Thought I was doing good; every little bit helps. But, Geeze louise, it was an HFCS product So, switched back to 2% milk which is the cream in our refrigerator.

XXXXX|| 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 5. 37 to go. Keep going!
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #42
VSG'er 01/08/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I don't understand that at all. How have you "earned" something you are allergic to? Why will it be okay to eat one thing you are "allergic" to (chocolate) yet not another (corn)?

Tell me more about the "specially compounded" Benedryl...where do you get it? What is special about it? I am intrigued!
I am not suppose to have any chocolate. The Coco Glycerides (cocoglycerides) put it on my no go list. I have had some success with chocolate made in Europe but that has to be really, really high end.

If I have already accidentally come into contact with something then I am going to have a reaction. Those are the days where I would allow myself a tiny piece of dark chocolate. One of those... Feel better moments.

But I am waiting on the Benedryl.

The specially compounded Benedryl only contains the following 3 things:

Lactose (filler)
Gelatin Capsules (casing)
Diphenhydramine (actual chemical name of Benydryl)

It is specially compounded for me by a compounding pharmacist. Not other fillers than lactose.

Ok! Straight up... First time through... I lost and then got sick and gained more than I had lost. Second time through I lost, got where I needed to... Enjoyed it. Took prednizone (oh lordy how I hate it) and was creeping back toward my worst.
NOW:

2012-For life!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #43
VSG'er 01/08/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryblu View Post
Cuter with Curves, I think you would enjoy the book Nelie mentioned: The Omnivore's Dilemma. Both SO and I are fascinated by it.....nothing is quite as it seems and the food chain/sources is so very complicated...fascinating reading.
Interesting... I had someone telling me about it a month ago in the context of the over use of corn, etc.

Just haven't gotten around to that one yet.

NOW:

2012-For life!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #44
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Maryblu,

I love hominy! Ok I could eat hominy every day My favorite hominy dish is diced zucchini, chopped onions and hominy braised in water. It is delicious I don't eat hominy very often though.