Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Salmon

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Yay! I love this stuff.

Except the smoked salmon (lox). I tried it and didn't like it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

We grilled a salmon steak yesterday. YUM.

And leftovers for dinner tonight!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love lox and raw salmon in general. In fact, I like raw salmon better than cooked salmon (the same goes for tuna). For a long time I didn't like cooked salmon at all, but I've been coming around to it. There is a stand at my farmers market that sells fresh fish and his salmon is unbelievable. So much better than the stuff I get at the grocery store.

Here are a few of my favorite salmon recipes:

Salmon with Fresh Berry Sauce
This recipe is to die for!
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 16 oz salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries

Combine all ingredients except salmon and berries in a bowl. Add salmon, coating on all sides, and marinate for 20 minutes.

Broil salmon until it is done (flakes easily with a fork).

Place marinade in small saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix cornstarch with a small amount of water in a bowl and then add to marinade. Continue cooking until marinade is slightly thickened. Add berries and cook for 1 minute more. Pour sauce over salmon and serve.

The sauce will be very soupy, so you might want to serve this in bowls.

Makes 4 servings at 320 calories each, 10.5g fat (1.5g sat fat), 67g carbs (4g fiber, 62g sugar), 31g protein.

Salmon Shortcakes
This is a quick, easy recipe.
- 12 oz canned salmon
- 1/4 cup egg beaters
- 2 tbsp light mayonaise
- 3/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 thinly sliced scallion
- 4 low fat refrigerated biscuits

Mix all ingredients except bisquits in a bowl and then form into eight patties. Spray a saute pan with cooking spray and saute patties over medium heat until done.

Bake biscuits according to package directions. Split biscuits and top each half with a salmon patty. Top salmon patties with your favorite gourmet mustard or chutney, or you can make a mayo topping out of 1/4 cup light mayonnaise, 1 tbsp fresh dill, and 1 tbsp milk.

Makes for servings (each serving is two patties). Each patty is about 75 calories, so total calories per serving is 150, not including the biscuits and whatever topping you use.

Salmon with Sweet Pea Cream
- 4 thinly sliced scallions
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 half and half (fat free half and half or whole milk is fine)
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 4 salmon fillets

Season salmon with salt and pepper and cook according to your favorite method.

Coat a large non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic and saute for a minute or so. Add peas, broth and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are tender (4 min for fresh peas, less for frozen). Transfer mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. If you want, at this point you can strain the mixture through a sieve to remove the solids, which will give you a very smooth sauce. I never bother with the straining, though. Too much work and I like the peas in the sauce. Stir in the half and half and the chopped dill. Serve over the salmon.

The sauce makes four very generous servings (especially if you don't strain it). If unstrained, the calories in the sauce work out to about 80 per serving, .5g fat (0 sat. fat), 14g carbs (4g fiber, 7g sugar), 5g protein. If you strain the sauce, the calories should be a little lower.

This sauce is also great over chicken.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Yum. I eat salmon at least 3 times a week. It's cheap and really easy to prepare. I buy whole filets and then portion them up into 3oz servings and stick them in the freezer. Usually I'll have a piece of salmon with my lunch salad. It's not fancy, but it is tasty and healthy.

I can't wait til the Copper River Salmon gets here!!! Summer in the NW is treat after treat of different and delicious alaskan salmons. Love it!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I love lox and raw salmon in general. In fact, I like raw salmon better than cooked salmon (the same goes for tuna). For a long time I didn't like cooked salmon at all, but I've been coming around to it. There is a stand at my farmers market that sells fresh fish and his salmon is unbelievable. So much better than the stuff I get at the grocery store.

Here are a few of my favorite salmon recipes:
Oh my gosh, those sound fantastic! Especially the shortcakes. I love making salmon patties and frequently make them for lunch.

Thanks for sharing, I want to try the sweet pea one
Old 05-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

LLV, once again we are on the same exact page with our tastes.

I can't even look at lox. The mere sight of it makes me almost ill. I have never even tasted it. And the rest of my family loves it. I always say why couldn't I feel so strongly about, I don't know - fried foods, cakes or ice cream. Oh well.

I won't eat it raw in sushi. But salmon fillet baked. LOVE IT!!!! I eat it often and like Baffled I package it in 3 oz. slices (which the guy at the fish stores cuts for me) and freeze it. I don't make it very fancy. I squeeze on some fresh lemon juice, smear on some crushed garlic and a few other spices and I'm all set. It's great stuff. Very mild and meat-y. Yummm.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I can't even look at lox. The mere sight of it makes me almost ill. I have never even tasted it. And the rest of my family loves it. I always say why couldn't I feel so strongly about, I don't know - fried foods, cakes or ice cream. Oh well.
I gave it a try because I'll usually try anything once, within reason. So I did it like my friend told me to do it; put it on a bagel with cream cheese. It's funny, I had to take about 3 or 4 bites before deciding if I liked it or not. I was like, "I'm not sure if I like this flavor or not," and after a couple more bites I then said, "Nope, don't like it."

LOL

I wasn't crazy about the texture, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I won't eat it raw in sushi. But salmon fillet baked. LOVE IT!!!! I eat it often and like Baffled I package it in 3 oz. slices (which the guy at the fish stores cuts for me) and freeze it. I don't make it very fancy. I squeeze on some fresh lemon juice, smear on some crushed garlic and a few other spices and I'm all set. It's great stuff. Very mild and meat-y. Yummm.
That's usually how I do mine, just a couple of spices and I'm good to go. But I definitely want to try a couple of Blue's recipes!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

We steam bake it in a foil packet.

Canned diced tomatos
splash of white wine
thinly sliced shallots
Mix and put on top of a single serving peice of salmon in foil. Close it up and bake it for 30 minutes at 400. YUM.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Yum, I love salmon! We grilled a huge salmon yesterday and today I had a salad with red leaf lettuce, salmon, mango salsa and lime vinaigrette. It was soo good!
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 PM   #10  
LLV

Blue, I made your sweet pea cream sauce tonight and it's fantastic! I'm going to have it over salmon tomorrow for lunch.

Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Salmon is the default protein in our house! Of course, it helps to live where DH can go and catch it.

I cooked a whole salmon on Sat, and we've had it every day since for one meal or another (not breakfast yet, though it's excellent in quiche or even just scrambled eggs). I make salmon patties a lot, and use various sauces and spices. I like the sound of the sweet pea sauce, I'll be trying that!

I do like raw salmon and lox. There's a woman at our church who can cut it so thin you can almost see through it, and I'm not sure what she does with it, but it's out of this world. I want to just stand by the plate when she brings it for a dinner.....

You all do know that there is a world of difference between wild salmon and farmed salmon, right? I'm not going to get into the politics of it, but to me the taste of wild is much better.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Blue, I made your sweet pea cream sauce tonight and it's fantastic! I'm going to have it over salmon tomorrow for lunch.

Thank you!!!!!!!
I'm glad you like it. The recipe is courtesy of Martha Stewart. It's funny, my feelings for peas about about the same as your feelings for lox, but add a little scallion, garlic, and half and half, run the whole thing through a food processor, and I love them!

Here's a recipe I invented today that I thought came out great. I've been trying to get a little more protein and little less refined carbs in my diet, so my afternoon snacks have been getting a little inventive (some would say strange) lately.

Salmon and Fruit Salad
- 6 oz can salmon, drained
- 4 oz of your favorite stone fruit or berry. I used mango, but I think you could use strawberries, raspberries, apricots, peaches, whatever you like.
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly
- cilantro, as much or little as you want
- 1 to 2 tbsp of your favorite dijon or gourmet mustard

Mix it all up in a bowl. You can eat it by itself (that's what I did), eat it in a wrap, or eat it over lettuce. It will be dry. If you want it wetter, use more mustard or mix some lemon juice with the mustard.

It makes two servings, at about 140 calories per serving (depending on the kind of fruit you use).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I love salmon!

I like to sear it in my cast-iron skillet and then I make a shallot/balsamic vinegar reduction to go over it. Yummy!

WaterRat~ I agree! Wild is the only way to go for a variety of reasons (taste being a very important one.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I'm glad you like it. The recipe is courtesy of Martha Stewart. It's funny, my feelings for peas about about the same as your feelings for lox, but add a little scallion, garlic, and half and half, run the whole thing through a food processor, and I love them!
It turned out so yummy and I can't wait to eat it with my salmon today

Your other recipe looks pretty good, too. Nothing wrong with finding new ways to fix salmon!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

I had mine with a variation of the pea sauce last night - basically the same but I added some pesto - yum!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote