Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Carbs

I know simple carbs are bad, but are ALL carbs bad in high amounts? I've noticed on Fitday that alot of the calories I get are from carbs. I don't eat white flour any. Or if I am, unknowingly, it's not very much. But I wonder if that's a problem for me. So far today it says I've gotten 68% of my daily carbs. And all I've had so far is a protein mix drink and 12 oz of 100% fruit juice. No sugar added. Should I start to watch my carbs or not worry since these aren't simple?

Oh, and on Fitday, where it says Alcohol does it mean booze or sugar?
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #2  

Fruit juice is basically sugar. It's empty calories.

All carbs aren't nutrtionally worthless (vegetables are great), but the carbs you're getting aren't what most of your carbohydrate calories should be coming from.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Not really an answer, but this thread reminded me that this was my yahoo health tip this morning ...
Beware the stealth calories in sugary juices and sodas if you're watching your weight -- they add up fast, and have little nutritional value. Even 100% fruit juice, which is packed with lots of great vitamins and minerals, can give you much more sugar than you bargained for. Choose water, flavored seltzer, vegetable juices and skim milk instead. Save soda for an occasional treat. Choose fresh fruit over high-calorie fruit juice for loads of fiber and much less sugar.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

where it says alcohol it means alcohol, fitday doesnt track sugar unfortunately

fruit-juice is actually a poor source of carbs. Most of the nutrition/fiber of fruit is left behind in the pulp and the juice basically is sugar water. Eat real fruit, drink water. If you really really want juice, start diluting it with water. Eventually you'll be amazed at how your tastebuds change. I find anything stronger than about 20% juice/80% water too sweet. Saves $$ too. It takes me about 2 weeks to use up one container of 100% juice.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #5  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Hm. The carton says no sugar added. That the only sugar in it is what is naturally in the juice itself. I also have some that is unsweetened and not from concentrate. It's cranberry juice.

100% full strength juice.
Serving is 8 fl oz.
60 calories
No fat
15g carbs
8g sugar

This isn't what I've been drinking. I've been drinking Northland 100% Cranberry Raspberry juice. It says no added suagr, but I think it had about 20 or 30 grams of suagr per 8 fl oz.

Any other ideas for stuff to mix my protein powder with? I can't do milk, since my stomach can't tolerate 2% and I haven't tried any other milk yet. I want to stay away from soy, since I'm estrogen dominant at the moment.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Most of the calories in fruits and veggies are carbs -- and with many of the calories in breads, rice, pasta, etc. Fruit contains natural sugars, so while there may not be refined sugars, they are carbs still.

That doesn't mean carbs are bad! IMO, you SHOULD be eating fruits, veggies and the like. Breads, pastas, etc, should also be part of your diet. A lot of people have moved to "whole grain" breads and the like because the "white" versions tend to have been stripped of their naturally nutritive values. Also, many of the whole grain versions may help keep you full longer -- more fiber, for instance.

As for how many carbs to eat, that varies based on your goals. You don't necessarily have to watch them.

As for protein powder, there are lots of things to mix with. Make a smoothie with frozen berries, powder and some water. yummy!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBe View Post
Hm. The carton says no sugar added. That the only sugar in it is what is naturally in the juice itself. I also have some that is unsweetened and not from concentrate. It's cranberry juice.

100% full strength juice.
Serving is 8 fl oz.
60 calories
No fat
15g carbs
8g sugar

This isn't what I've been drinking. I've been drinking Northland 100% Cranberry Raspberry juice. It says no added suagr, but I think it had about 20 or 30 grams of suagr per 8 fl oz.

Any other ideas for stuff to mix my protein powder with? I can't do milk, since my stomach can't tolerate 2% and I haven't tried any other milk yet. I want to stay away from soy, since I'm estrogen dominant at the moment.
Lets clarify the difference between COMPLEX carbs (whole grains, veggies etc.) SIMPLE carbs (sugar of any form naturally occurring such as in fruit and milk OR refined) and REFINED carbs (table sugar, white bread, white pasta etc.) that have been processed.

Just because a juice is 100% juice no sugar added does not make it a good choice. 1 glass of juice takes 4-5 whole fruits, squeezes the water and simple sugar out and throws away all the fiber and good carbs. Is it nutritionally better than 10%juicecocktail...sure, but not by as much as you would think.

If you want to mix protein powder in juice try instead of 12 oz of juice, 3 oz of juice, a banana, a 1/2 cup of frozen berries, and add about 6-8 oz water.

Last edited by ennay; 03-02-2007 at 04:29 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote