Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

Angry New Scale

Rambling ahead....

OK.. as many of you know, I have a scale that I am pretty sure has multiple personalities. I have to step on it at least 5 times to get 2 numbers that are the same. This has been a source of frustration for me. The scale is at least 15 years old if not older. Well tonight I picked up a new one.

Since I always weigh more at the Doc's office than I do at home, I was fully expecting the new scale to weigh me higher than the one with the multiple personalities. For the first time in its life, that scale weighed me the same 5 times in a row! Figures. Anyway - I weighed myself on the old scale and then on the new scale. I wanted to make sure that the amount the old scale said I lost was correct and I would adjust my beginning weight to reflect the difference.

11 lbs different! So, that means I started on this weight loss journey at 262 lbs and not 251! I checked my card from the doctors office from my physical - I keep copies in my files and there was an 11 lb difference on that date to what I weighed at home too.. so, I can assume that the new scale is correct.

<sigh> I guess that this isn't all bad. I still have lost weight. I have still gone down from a size 22 to a size 18. I can't complain really - but is sure was nice to have seen a 218 when I snuck on the scale Friday morning vs. the 229 tonight! Tomorrow is my official weigh in day. So we will see

I adjusted my ticker to reflect my status more accurately and adjusted my excel workbook too.

Last edited by Chey; 07-12-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #2  

You know.. I got to thinking about this. I adjusted my excel sheet to reflect the 11 lb difference each week and that put me at 235 at my weigh in last Sunday. I weighed in TONIGHT, fully clothed, and after we went out to dinner. So, if I do weigh 229 tomorrow morning, that would mean I lost 6 lbs in one week. However, I weigh in pretty much nekkid (nightgown) so my weight could be less than that in the morning.

Ug... I am so messed up.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #3  
3.14.10 Bride to Be

S/C/G: 316.4/311.6/200

Height: 5'7"

I hate that scales weigh differently.

My scale at home weighed in 1lb heavier than the scale at my weight loss challenge meetings. My fiance and I switched where we go to the meetings, and the scale there weighed my fiance 4 lbs less than the scale at home, and me 1lb more than the scale at home. We had nothing to eat/drink on the way to the meeting and we weighed in with the same clothing and didnt use the bathroom... so, I'm confused.
Naytally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #4  

Naytally - I don't feel so bad. I would be totally confused too! I know that if I stepped on the scale slightly different or rocked a little bit, it will be different. That is why I stepped 5 times (usually). LOL.. I only weigh in at home and don't pay too much attention to the doctor's scale as I usually only go twice a year if that.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Hey, at least it didn't mess up how MUCH you've accomplished so far! Who cares where we start, it's the progress that counts, right? That start number is so far behind you, you have a lot to be proud of regardless.

I didn't quite follow your math but i'll keep my fingers crossed for that 6lb loss
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #6  

Yeah, I didn't follow my math either. I realized that when I posted (last night) that I shouldn't have weighed myself at 10:30 at night fully clothed. LOL Especially after we had gone out to dinner!

This morning, when my head was more into it, I re-did my calculations and used a test subject (DH) to determine the differences between the scales. There is a 10 lb difference (consistently) between the two. So, I adjusted up to last week and then used the number I was given today to determine the weight loss for the week. (as close as I can figure). It was 10 lbs. Yeah I know.. strange. But, the previous 2 weeks I lost .5 lbs and the next week I gained 2.5. I wonder if I would have normally been cycling during that time and retaining water. That would make sense as I used to gain at least 7 lbs during my TOM so showing a loss of 10 wouldn't be out of the ordinary considering that.

Next week will be better -or- will show a gain just to keep me confused.

Last edited by Chey; 07-13-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

It's frustrating when the scales are different. Our old scale when I first started WW had me 3.5 lbs less than the meeting scale did. Our new scale was almost the same as the WW scale, and is also almost the same as my parents' scale AND my sister's scale. So even though it's only a 3.5 lbs difference between our old one and the new one, I'm glad we got the new one. It matches everyone else's, which is good.

Our old one was also acting schizophrenic. Different weight everytime I stepped on it AND, it wasn't registering our 12 y/o son's weight (about 102 lbs), much less our 4 y/o daughter's weight (about 32 lbs). I knew something was messed up in it, just from that itself.

I think I need to change out the batteries in the new one, because it' is starting to change the weight a little more if you shift positions on it, which it wasn't really doing when we first got it. Thank goodness the thing only takes AA batteries.

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #8  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

I hate scale woes. LOL It seems that all scales are different. Yeah, how you feel and look is more important, but it is hard to not want to see the number go down, and even if you haven't actually gained any weight, it is hard to see a different scale weigh you higher. Them's the worst! Congrats on the new scale!
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #9  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Chey you've worked SO hard...you ARE making progress and soon the new scale will be right back to saying what the old one did!

I just got a new scale recently too...I feel your pain...I've staying OP and exercising every day this week and FINALLY the new one shows the number I had in my head from the old one

Keep on keeping on!
Manick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #10  

Thanks Manick! I have missed you!

Today I went to the doctor to renew my allergy prescription. I have to do that once a year. Since I know they will weigh me along with all the other stuff, I stepped on the scale in my clothes to see what it said to compare it to what the doctor's scale indicated. I was pleasantly surprised by the the number at home.... and the doctor's scale read the same! In fact, she was very happy with my weight loss. She looked up what I weighed a year a go and I was at 272!!!!! I am so glad I found this place and started WW!!!