Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #31  
Made of Starstuff

Hello & Good Thursday Morning Flexers

Tonight's my final February weigh-in! Regardless of what the scale says, I'm proud of how "on-track" I've been this week. Healthy foods... scheduled each day down to exactly zero points, except for Tuesday when I only used one FP. And the fact that I exercised EVERY DAY this week. Such a huge thing for me. Weekends are tough to get going, no? Eitherway, I'm feeling good.

Ugh, I went to go get a medium Latté Lite from Dunkin' Donuts this morning... and I must've said Lite a dozen times. I get to work and... *sigh*... yeah it's a regular Latté with full fat milk. I could taste the difference. I just had to throw it away. (I'm not going to drink something because they messed up. I still am in control of what I eat/drink. ) I should learn to taste the darn thing before I leave. I don't want to be a jerk, but I get upset that I ask for things a certain way and then I have re-ask for them that way. But, I've had to learn things the hard way before... I asked for regular coffee once, here I thought "regular" meant no specific flavor/black. Nope! Regular is all cream-filled. Why do things have to be so difficult?

Anyway, *brushes that aside* best to be positive about the rest of today! Thursdays are always fun days! WW meetings, and I've got game tonight. Weeeeee ^^ (The "game" I speak of is a dice roleplaying game similar to Dungeons & Dragons.)

I hope everyone else has a super-swell day

Last edited by Lovely; 02-28-2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Spellin' As usual!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #32  

Height: 5'7"

So, yet another dinner plan messed up by impulse last night... I couldn't muster the energy to cook so we decided to go out. We went to a Thai place and I got chicken and vegetables in brown sauce, and eyeballed about a 1/2c of rice to go with it. I can't tell how that works out, because the brown sauce had little oily spots floating on it, so either it had oil or the chick/veg was cooked in oil or both. The WW companion doesn't have what I had listed under the Thai section -- I wonder if it'd be logical to use the estimates for the closest Chinese approximation (chicken with vegetables, or there's a listing for Chinese brown sauce). Hrm. I had 10 points to spend on dinner and I'm pretty sure I managed that, but I can't be sure....

Anyway, good to see there's a consensus on how the WI thread should go next month, that's what I was leaning towards too. I'll try to find the biggest, ugliest fish I can!

freedom - even if you are heavier by your home scale you know you're actually the same weight Don't stress over it too much. Besides, you can decide which scale to actually go by, since you obviously can't weigh 2 weights at once!! And congrats on avoiding the not-so-great stuff at that event, you made a good decision!

Jane - keep us posted!

Patti - I do that with spinach too! I find spinach has more of a "presence" because it's tastier than just lettuce. I use spinach on burgers, in wraps, in sandwiches, everywhere! I haven't tried either of those Fiber One products but I hear everyone around here talking about them, they must be good!

sonja - there you are! you come back here, you hear? Glad to hear (whoa, too many 'hear/here's) you're doing better. Keep us posted

keli - talking more and chewing less -- good strategy! congrats to your DH on the loss. Funny how we can get surprises like that when we think we've been "bad"

Faerie - I've done one of those points challenges before. It was kind of fun. But I dunno, it didn't keep me on track so much because since we all just updated our own posts I never got the feeling that someone was gonna read through them everyday to find out how everyone was doing. But I'm glad it works for you, and I'm glad to hear you're OP!! Can't wait to see how your WI goes
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #33  

I guess we were posting at the same time, Faerie

Sorry to hear about your DD experience. I often wonder when I drink my lattes if they actually made it with skim like I requested... I also wonder if when I ask for a diet soda I get a diet soda. For some reason I can't taste the difference (maybe because I've developed a tolerance to aspartame?). It sucks when our food is in someone else's control, but you're entirely right, YOU decide what goes in your mouth! I don't blame you one bit for throwing it out.

And good luck with your WI! I will be eagerly anticipating the results
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #34  
Made of Starstuff

Hey Suite Yeah I guess we did!

Yeah, I often wonder if they make things the way that I ask... but it's the risk we all take when going out to eat. Us daredevils!!!

About the Thai, sometimes they have a few listings if you search the WW site. However, I believe the Chinese food approximation is much better than no reference point whatsoever.

Even though you decided to go out, you were still trying for the healthier options

Last edited by Lovely; 02-28-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 247.8/209.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone.

I definitely agree with trying to beat our February goals. One huge ugly fish!!!! I have tried the fiber one caramel cereal. I love it. It is 4 pts with skim milk. I usually add banana to it. Its my evening snack.

I hope you all dont mind me joining in on the conversation....

Suite - what does Thai food taste like? I have never had it before. It sounds interesting.

I think it is great that we have this site to encourage each other and to discuss all sorts of issues.

I had a bad lunch yesterday, we had lunch brought in at work, it was a working lunch/meeting. They had all types of fattening pastas and a salad that had the dressing on it. I dont think I did really bad, but I'm sure I used a few fp's. So, last night, I used the elliptical machine and walked for 20 minutes. Does any one know how much of a work out the elliptical machine gives? I feel more tired when I use it, but wasnt sure if it was just me.

Well, enough of my rambling, Have A Great Day.

Dawn
Old 02-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #36  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Dawn

Thai food is asian fare, but usually with some form of peanuts. (Well, at least in my experience they use peanuts a LOT. Mmm peanut sauces...) Noodles, vegetables, oils, some form of meat. I don't find their food overwhelmingly spicy, but it does often have a "kick". Tasty stuff! If you get the chance to try some, I recommend it. Actually, I used to have Pinneapple Fried Rice whenever I went for Thai... now I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pick something healthier. ; ;

I know that the elliptical machines usually burn a few more calories because they're working the arms as well as having you "run". I don't know the proper comparison, but I can barely do 5 minutes I usually stick with my treadmill on an incline.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #37  

Dawn - Please do jump in! A lot of Thai food is pretty much like Chinese food. They use coconut milk in a lot of their dishes, though, especially curries. It tastes awesome but they're probably the worst points-wise! Pad Thai is a great noodle dish but also points-heavy so it's an occasional treat. Now when I go I get some kind of meat and veg in brown sauce (that's what they call it), it's not too bad. You can usually choose your level of spice. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try, people seem to be afraid of different asian cuisines when they're all basically pretty similar and there are some things that you just can't go wrong with!

You know, I need to stop coming here around 10-11 when I start getting hungry for lunch. It just makes me hungrier. That caramel Fiber 1.... It sounds so good! I better not buy any, though, because if my ill-fated box of graham crackers is any indication, I'll have the whole box gone in two days.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #38  
I will succeed!!!

S/C/G: 277/270/180

Please Jaime dont eat that much...Remember the fiber.... You might be visiting the potty alot if ya do. But it is great, I have portioned out my Fiber One Caramel into snack bags, and late at night I have my treat...
Patti
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #39  

Oh Patti, what a great point!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #40  
Junior Fat Chick

S/C/G: 236/233.5/140

Height: 5'5

Hey ladies,

I just wanted to pop in and say hello.
This morning was my first weigh in and now I am so relieved (sp?) that it is over. I'm down 2.5 and honestly, I didn't know what to expect but I am happy for the loss.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #41  
Made of Starstuff

Hiya Clburchett! I said this on the other area, too, but really, that's just awesome! Way to go on the 2.5 lbs down Great first week!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #42  
Made of Starstuff

Yay! It's Friday, Flexers!!!!

I hope everyone is looking forward to the weekend I know I am. My friends are cooking dinner tomorrow night, and that's a special occassion I've been planning for, so I'll be keeping to 10 points for breakfast/lunch, and then enjoying dinner without counting points.

Okay... so I was very proud of myself this week (exercise each day, getting to zero points left each day, adding in MANY more fruits and veg instead of most processed stuff) and I had a loss of .2 last night. Not really great, but it's down, and I was going to give what I've been doing another week or two before tweaking the formula if it doesn't work so well. Ya know... all the usual advice people get on 3FC. I actually do take it to heart & apply it to my own life! Besides, next week I'll probably drop down a lot... I have cycles like this.

Well, the past couple weeks I just wanted my leader to check my tracker to make sure I'd been writing EVERYTHING down. (One problem I had was I was getting a little lazy in the tracking dept.) She mentioned that I may be eating too many sweet things, and pointed out that I've been eating a WW bar, or Smart Ones dessert once every day this week. It was constructive criticism, and I'm trying to look at it as feedback, but I was just so proud of myself for all those other things I've been doing. I'm far too sensitive about this, I know I know! It's just that, I've been enjoying having a WW bar, or a Smart Ones dessert each night after dinner. It's not much, between 2-4 points. And it's helped me to STOP after dinner and just enjoy what I've had all day. I didn't think there was anything wrong with having a little sweet thing once a day. But, her comments gave me pause. Am I incorrect? It hadn't been stalling me so far... I know of other people who have lost plenty of weight while still having a little treat once a day. BUT, I don't want to just dismiss her comments completely without thoroughly evaluating, I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

I'm just not feeling confident, due to that at the moment. It's like, okay, do I follow what I know about my body? Or do I listen to the sound advice that sweets should always be limited? What do you guys think? (Other than the fact that I'm completely overreacting ) I just need a different opinion. (like a doctor! ^^)

In case you need it here's a pretty typical sample day:

B:Coffee w/Splenda (0), 100% Whole Wheat Thomas' Mini-Bagel (2), 1/4c. 2% cottage cheese to spread on top of bagel (2... and yum!), banana (2). = 6

L: Sandwich w/2 slices fiber one bread and 2 oz deli meat and mustard (5), WW yogurt (1), 1 pc. Mini Babybel Light (1), 1 string cheese (1), orange/apple/or pear (1). = 9

S: Protein bar following work-out (3). = 3

D: Sweet Potato (3), Butter (2), Shredded Chicken (6) w/ketchup (0), heaps of delicious broccoli (0) (probably 1.5 c. or 2) = 11

Dessert: WW bar/Smart Ones Dessert = 3

Total Daily: 32 (exactly my points)

I dunno... maybe I've been going about this all wrong.

Anyway I hope you all have lovely days!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #43  
The Last 10lbs!

Faerie - you've had a fantastic week! I can't believe how dedicated you are to your planning and exercise. That's awesome! So is throwing away that latte. I don't think I would have done that myself. I agree that it can get really frustrating when your order is wrong, especially if it means such a big difference in points. You're so positive. I love your posts!

Regarding your after-dinner sweet treat - I do it too. I find it is a good mind-trigger for me that stops me from eating more (I usually have it about an hour or two after I eat dinner, as like a final food for the day with a cup of tea). In fact, most of my snacks happen to be sort of sweet-related... WW Bars, Special K Chocolate Mini Breaks, etc. I find these are the easiest to throw in my bag for when I am out or at school, since I only like raw vegetables really cold and crisp. I think as long as this is working for you, why change it? The rest of your menu doesn't include such indulgences so it's not like you're heading for "diet disaster" or anything. You could switch it up a bit, maybe find something that you could add honey to that isn't regularly sweet (like, say, a small bowl of oatmeal or a hot drink) and let that trigger the end of the meal. I had oatmeal for dinner last night - I know, that's weird, but I wasn't super hungry and oatmeal is such a comfort food for me now - and I put honey on it, and following that, I wasn't hungry and wasn't inclined to eat anything else. If you find that maybe the processed qualities of these sweet foods might be holding you back, you could try making your own low-fat treats, like small cookies or low-fat brownies or something so you can control exactly what it is you're putting in your mouth. Anyway, that's my thought, and as a fellow evening sweet-eater, if it's something you need to keep from the late night munchies, stick with it! Why fix something that ain't broke?

Suite - I always wonder if I am getting diet coke or regular coke when I go out. I usually get diet coke when we go to the pub or out for lunch, and usually I can taste the difference, but it depends how watered down it is.

Dawn - I think I'm going to have to look for that Fiber One Caramel Cereal. Everyone seems to be talking about it! I bet it's one of those things you can't get in the UK, just like Special K Vanilla Almond, which is soooo tasty!

Clburchett - That's a fantastic first weigh in. Congratulations!

I didn't get to the store as planned today. Argh, it makes me so mad. I have so much work to do in these last few weeks and I'm getting incredibly overwhelmed. I just hope I can manage it all, because at the moment it looks like I'm setting myself up to fail. I have to write four essays before March 14, as I want them done and out of the way before I go home for spring break (three are actually due the day after I get back) as I know I'll be busy and certainly won't want to work. I might get to the store tomorrow to get some more vegetables and meal ideas.

Speaking of going shopping... I have to buy a new bathing suit within the next two weeks. I hate bathing suit shopping! I just hope that now that I have lost some weight it won't be such a confidence-killer as it usually is. I have been looking at some suits online from stores we have nearby and I have found a few I like. I am also willing to spend a bit more on it if I look good in it and feel good in it, and having made this decision is unusual for me - I'm a "thrifty" shopper and in the last year and a half I have bought one pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, a pair of shorts, and four shirts. That's it. I hate bathing suit shopping the most! I don't usually mind wandering around the mall (though I never buy anything) but I'm actually going to have to drag myself down there to do this!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #44  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Hello all!!

I just wanted to pop in and give a congradulations to everyone. You may not have done as good as you'd like this week or you think you've made some bad choices, but owning up to that alone deserves a big Congradulations. That takes alot.

I've been fighting every urge not to binge since I've been extremely stressed out. So far it's working. Let's hope it continues that way.

Three cheers to everyone
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #45  

clburchett, congrats on the WI! That's a great loss.

Faerie, I wouldn't change it if it's working for you. Freedom gave you great advice, that if it's the processed nature of your treats that you or your leader object to, or if it's making you stall, then try out some more natural sweet treats like making and freezing small batches of cookie bites or something. I don't see why she'd single that out as a problem, unless it was because she felt she needed to say something and couldn't otherwise find anything wrong with your food I don't think you should give up the desserts if they help you feel satisfied and curb nighttime snacking cravings, you know?

Don't feel unsure about what you're doing, look at your awesome progress so far! And 0.2 down is still a good, loss, because it's a loss and not a gain. Anything in the downward direction is worthy of celebration! [PS Those Smart Ones desserts are awesome, aren't they?? Brownie sundaes are pretty much my favorite 'indulgence' dessert ever, and now I can occasionally have one for only 4 points ]

Freedom, I feel ya on the school work! I'm sure you'll get through it, though, you sound like you want it bad enough! As for the swimsuit, that's a good way of looking at it -- spend extra money on one you're going to feel comfortable in. I'm like you, I'm currently wearing pants I've owned for 6 years and a jacket I've had for longer (8? 9?). But when it came to buy a bathing suit before I went to Italy, I was prepared to spend money and boy did I, but I found a suit that I *still* love. Don't be too hard on yourself under the ugly department store light, remember all of the fantastic progress you've made!! You're gonna look great

Where's dawn and stephanie? They usually pop by occasionally... And Hi Jane, where ever you may be, you and your husband are in our thoughts!!

---

Well... I can't seem to get the eating thing right this week. I don't know how but a biscotti just hopped from a coffee shop display case and into my mouth yesterday. I went in there for a skim latte and I just couldn't figure out how I walked out of there with a biscotti too! I had 4 points left over for dinner (assuming the biscotti was 8, which I really have no idea about), and I actually did okay with it -- I made an omlette with asparagus and mushrooms and egg beaters, then had a toasted cheese sandwich on WW bread with FF cheese singles. It wasn't too shabby at all for 4 points! Then I realized I was really stressed from work and chased it with a small glass of wine.

Today's the end of my WW week as I WI tomorrow morning. I'm making a couple of commitments for next week to remedy my downfalls of this week. Actually, I think I'll start a thread about it, it'd be an interesting exercise for everyone.

Anybody else realize that if you're on an annual salary schedule, you're not getting paid for working today? Those of you who are working hourly jobs are okay, but for the rest of us, if your salary is calculated annually (e.g. they divide your annual salary by 24 to get your bi-monthly salary) the extra day today is TOTALLY pro bono! Stupid leap year, making me work an extra day with no pay. :/ I generally am hating my job lately so this just makes today a little grumpier for me. Grumble grumble grumble.

Well, have a happy Friday ladies, I'm off to get some work done!
Closed Thread