Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #1  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

Default Alcohol???

So I started weight watchers flex about 2 weeks ago....and I used to drink alcohol at least every weekend...

Now, I haven't drank alcohol in about 3 weeks....and the last time I drank more than 1 beer was about a month ago

What do you guys think about drinking alcohol?

I know we get 30+ flex points a week, and I haven't ever used any...and I was wondering if I could use some for alcohol or if I should stay away from doing that???
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #2  

I think most successful weight loss people will tell you that those are empty calories and what is more scary is that the effect of the booze makes you way more likely to over indulge. You can experiment of course, but that is what I have seen time and time again.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #3  
keep on truckin'

yeah you guys are right...
I only drank 1 beer last night because I had 3 points left
Old 02-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/227.4/160

Height: 5'4"

Cool alcohol

VDay, I'm so happy you have 'chucked' the alcohol. I find that if I drink it (alcohol), my eating is out of control and i eat too many points for the week. Thus no loss. So I applaud you! I like a beer with pizza but have to exercise the points off.
Lizabeth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

on not giving in and having more than 1!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #6  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

You see, my issue with drinking is that I can't help but want to eat. I like Red Beer, which then has me craving salt, followed by mmm fries and mayo!

A glass of wine, however, doesn't do that to me. A wine spritzer - a bit of wine with club soda, is usually what I aim for.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #7  
keep on truckin'

ooh yeah that wine spritzer sounds good
Old 02-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Mmm, I'm all for a glass of wine with dinner When I have the points, that is, which it doesn't look like I do tonight

Good job only choosing to have one beer, vday, that's what the program's all about -- moderation!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #9  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

As long as you're planning for it and able to control it, having an alcholic drink isn't a bad thing. If it's a trigger "food" then you should avoid it, like any other trigger (i.e. potato chips for me).

They used to recommend that you avoid alcohol when you are starting out, I'm not sure if they still do that. It's a learning process. If you feel you are denying yourself by not having that 1 beer or spritzer then you should have one, because we all know that denying yourself often leads to wanting that item more and then overindulging when we get our little hands on it (i.e. chocolate ).

I'm with Mod on comparing the pts. I do that with lots of stuff, it's a great tool for staying on track.

Best of luck to you!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #10  
Shelly

S/C/G: 124/Check Ticker/110

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I will usually plan on having a couple beers on Fridays and Saturdays if my husband and I go out for dinner. I always plan ahead of time what I am going to eat and how many beers I am able to have to stay within my points. As long as I stick to a couple and have them with dinner, I am not tempted to eat more later.
beachbabe8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #11  
Lynn

S/C/G: 178/178/141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkittn View Post
on not giving in and having more than 1!
Can you help me with posting the ticker and other items?? Do I have to copy these items each time I post a comment -or-- is there some place to put them and occassionally update them?

P.S. I am starting back to WW this coming week --and what an inspiration you are!! I am so tickled to have stubled upon this site
lynn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

I like my beers, and I save my 35 pts for the weekend,WW is about eating what you want, but within your pts, that to me inculdes my beers. But I do tend to set up my meals before I open the can, that way I know I am not going to pig out on anything that I should not be. It's working for me, and I really look forward to my weekends.
Different strokes for different folks.
Mary
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

Red wine is FULL of anti-oxidants. It's also been proven to lower blood pressure.

There was a study last week on The Today Show stating that people who exercise are healthier than people who don't, and people that drink red wine regularly (not to excess) are healthier than people that don't, but people that do BOTH are the healthiest of all. Somehow combining regular exercise with red wine consumption increases the positive aspects of BOTH.

I have a glass of red wine nearly every night. It's a healthy pleasure I simply refuse to give up.
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/250/180

Height: 5'7"

Actually, I quit drinking six years ago, but sometimes I like an Amber O'Douls when I'm out to dinner (regular O'Doul's is is tasteless, IMO). I was pleasantly surprised to see that a 12-oz bottle is only 2 points. It gives me the taste of the beer which I enjoy with certain foods, without the alcohol or guilt. And since I'm drinking it for the taste and not the buzz, one bottle is plenty. More than one and I am too full. Of course, that never bothered me when it was real beer! Alcohol does make you want to eat and lose your control even when you know you've had enough food and/or beer, so sadly, some of your girls will just have to learn to live without it.

One drink a day is just a teaser! What's the point?
Phillygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
Mmm, I'm all for a glass of wine with dinner When I have the points, that is!
Ditto this, but I like to wait until the kids are in bed so I can truly kick back. I do have problems with moderation on occasion, but I'm getting there.

I think the club soda idea is great, I'm going to try that.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote