Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 11-04-2016, 04:34 AM   #1  

Default Top Foods to Cure Depression

What type of foods would you recommend for depression.
Ghibli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #2  

Hi Ghibli, I don't know if any food can cure depression, which comes in many forms and underlying causes. What I've noticed for myself is that complex carbs help my mood a lot. Low carb dieting, although it curbs my appetite, is not so good for my mood. Avoiding fast carbs like sweets, chips, junk foods in general also makes a huge difference for me.

There was a book some time ago, I think called the Potato Diet. It sounded like a fad, but it was designed to help depression by supplying food that helps the body to make serotonin, which helps to regulate mood. What I remember, and have found helpful, is to eat a potato a couple of hours before bedtime. The idea is to time it so it's available at the time the body's internal rhythm will be making serotonin. I try to eat a few ounces of yams in the evening or at bedtime and have found it that it helps. Probably other carbs would work too, as long as they are complex. The goal is to have them move into the bloodstream in a gradual & steady way, not with spikes and dips--hope that makes sense

I have both chronic & seasonal depression--getting outside in wintertime helps a lot. I've also used light therapy in winter, and that too helps.

Wishing you the best in finding your groove with this issue. It's a lot of trial and error--be patient with yourself.

Last edited by Sundove; 11-04-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #3  

I usually melt dark chocolate in a bain marie and pour it over some fresh strawberries so I can get some serotonin from the chocolate without affecting my glycemic outcome. Also, I find cold/frozen foods help a lot like ice cream or a cold mocha frappe from McDonald's. But I only have these treats on my cheat days. In addition, hot tea is a great relaxant especially kava tea or any spice tea.

Last edited by Jaguar89; 03-27-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Jaguar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #4  

Just doing a simple Google search I found that the top 3 depression curing foods are dark nutrient-dense greens such as spinach, kale or swiss chard, then walnuts and avocado. I would suggest trying them out along with some yoga to help relax and center you. Good luck!
triddler80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #5  

Although I don't eat much of it, I believe chocolate, in any state, is the best anti-depressant ever!
Danny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #6  

thanks
xxioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #7  

here are several healthy options that can be used as a guide. One that comes up again and again is the Mediterranean diet. Another wonderful resource for folks is the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health website with an introductory guide to healthy diet.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-17-2019 at 01:17 PM.
amzounslide95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:36 AM   #8  

I think some chips maybe))
Or baked potato...
Will be good with ranch sauce
Yammy!!)
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny21 View Post
Although I don't eat much of it, I believe chocolate, in any state, is the best anti-depressant ever!
Yes, chocolate is the best antidepressant. I agree.
usherstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #10  

I agree chocolate too, but i would do dark chocolate in small quantities
kesinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/286/150

Height: 5'9"

If you mean clinical depression I don't think there is a cure as simple as food unfortunately, at least nothing with large scale reliable scientific studies- or I would have certainly been eating it for a while. On the other hand- highly processed foods have been found to be associated with depression- so going to a diet that is more raw may help.
As for general sadness I typically eat whatever makes me feel nostalgic, like all those happy celebrations with cake and pizza, although unfortunately that's typically not the healthiest foods.

If you are looking for something outside of medication though- regular exercise and going outside have been known to significantly improve mood in the long term because of the chemicals that go to the brain. Some people are also helped my Meditation/Mindfullness practices- and there are plenty of websites/apps that can help you learn more about that.
Bluesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:38 AM   #12  

Default Foods to Cure Depression

I would say the best thing to do is to eat high vibrational foods that will maintain an alkaline diet. When you eat a lot of processed foods it can definitely have an impact on your mood.
lyric1277 is offline   Reply With Quote