Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/183/145

Thumbs down Not "obese" anymore, but...

... but I feel "fatter" than ever.

So far, I've lost 32lbs, meaning that I am now in an "overweight" BMI category and not an "obese" one. For some reason, though, I almost feel worse about my weight now than I did when I started! Grr!

I think part of the reason I am not very excited is that it doesn't seem like many people notice I've lost any weight. Oh well, though. Nothing much I can do except keep working at it!
Ruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

a) Congratulations!
b) There is no but! Not obese is a HUGE achievement.
c) Go buy new, tighter clothes and you will feel much better.
d) Keep doing what you are doing cause it's working.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/158/133

Height: 5 foot 6

Hi there! Congratulations! You and I are in almost the same place with our starting weights, goals, and where we are now, and I know exactly what you mean. I was complaining in another thread that I haven't even gone down a clothes size, although my clothes do fit better and I have had to wear a belt with my jeans. Nobody has really noticed my weight loss either and it really does get you down. I've also noticed that quite often the weeks when I feel fatter and think I've put on weight are usually the weeks that I have lost weight. I'm starting to wonder if my brain has noticed a difference in my size but is so used to it being because I put on weight that when there is any change in weight it is only capable of making me feel fatter not thinner!

Focus on the positives - think how much better your health is now! I also had a mini celebration when I changed from an obese BMI to 'just' an overweight one. Congratulations on having such a huge positive impact on your health, and one that will only improve as you lose more weight!

Something that helped me was looking at progress photos. Have you got any photos from before or during your weight loss that you can look at and compare to yourself now? It can be quite surprising and very motivating, especially if you have been exercising and can maybe start to see the beginnings of muscles or definition.

Keep going! You're doing so well!
EskaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #4  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Ruze - I've lost 30ish lbs and the only people who've noticed so far are people who see me in tight clothes. a) my husband b) my trainer c) my rugby team. I was so excited to be wearing an outfit that really showed off my weight loss when I had a meet up with some school mums two days ago. But because of where we ended up going it was cold and I never took off my heavy winter coat and no one said anything. Why would they? I'm wearing the same big down coat I was before. Yeah, it's roomier in there, but I'm still pretty much cuttin' the same silhouette in that thing.

I see you're in Canada. I think when you get into warm weather clothes people will notice.

But also it's a strange psychological effect. We examine ourselves all the time during a weight loss process. We get bummed out by perceived lack of progress. Take time to celebrate what you've achieved already.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #5  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Getting out of "Obese" is actually one of my mini-goals so AWESOME!!!

I couldn't agree more with the suggestion to get some new clothes. I'm willing to bet any amount of money the reason nobody has commented on your weight loss is because your clothes are baggy and making you look bigger than you really are! Well fitting clothes make you look slimmer no matter what size you are.

You deserve to reward yourself, as well! Be proud of what you've accomplished!
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcherella View Post
a) Congratulations!
b) There is no but! Not obese is a HUGE achievement.
c) Go buy new, tighter clothes and you will feel much better.
d) Keep doing what you are doing cause it's working.
This^^
Congrats again!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/234/170

Height: 5'9"

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have seen this happen with a lot of people. My Mom managed to lose 50 lbs a couple years ago, but started getting down on herself because nobody was noticing the weight loss, or commenting. She ended up losing her motivation and gaining back all of the weight.

Just remember, you are NOT losing weight for anybody but yourself. The important thing is that you are healthier. Focus on that, and not who is noticing your weight, and you will do great!

You've already done a fantastic thing for your body!
ForeverVivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #8  

Ok, people won't usually say anything about two topics:

1. People who they think are pregnant. and
2. People who are losing weight.

These are just sensitive topics that people are very worried about offending people about. So, I wouldn't read too much into the fact that people aren't saying anything--they are probably noticing but don't want to say anything because they don't know if you want to talk about it or not. My SIL brought my weight-loss up the other day in front of my whole family and I wanted to smack the daylights out of her--of course she was completely offensive and condescending, perhaps if she was nice about it I would've reacted differently. She's crazy.

Anyway, you know your progress and your success and we know of your progress and success. Be strong and confident and try not to let others control your happiness. :-)

You rock!
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #9  

Congratulations!! You have done amazing!! Summer is coming, people are sure going to notice all of our losses once we shed the winter sweaters and jackets and show off in our new smaller clothes!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #10  

Height: 5"6

Celebrate your success!! You're amazing!!!!! The moment we only think about our goal/finish line, we start to overwhelm ourselves! Take it 1 lb, 1 day at a time and revel in what you've accomplished! I am a few lbs away from this milestone and I am DYING to join you! Live it up, babe!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #11  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Congrats! You sure have hit an amazing milestone. I agree with the others that you are probably "hiding" your hard work under your winter clothing. As soon as you"shed" some outer layers in the warmer weather, people will be saying "WOW!" I recently saw somebody I went to high school with and he walked right up to me and said "Hi, you look just like you did in high school, I recognized you immediately." I couldn't believe it as I still have 20 lbs to go to get to my HS weight and to be honest, I didn't recognize him and he is 4 years younger than me. LOL

I think one of my biggest milestones came a couple weeks ago when I had to throw away several pairs of panties because they were literally falling down and I had pulled them up all day while working and the Sunday of that week when I put on 5 outfits for church because DH said to take off the first 4 as they were falling off me. DH's famous saying is "that looks like a herd of elephants just moved out of the a** of it." Boy, won't that put a smile on your face! LOL
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on getting out of the "obese" category. That is my next goal as I've just left the "morbidly obese" (over 40 BMI) category.

Can't wait to be where you are! Keep it going! When summer comes, buy a new form fitting outfit and wear it out without a jacket, you and others are sure to see the difference!
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote