Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Ideas for great mini goals - what worked for you?

First of all, congratulations to all of you posting on this board! You've done such a great job!

I am just starting with weight loss and have a lot (165) to lose. I'm very focused on my ultimate goal, but I want to set several mini-goals so I can have things to celebrate along the way. What have been some great mini goals for you? I'm interested in anything from weight increments to...anything!!

Thank you!
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #2  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

For me it's been a combination of weight increments (20, 40, 60, etc.), percentages (% of starting weight), and momentous weights (graduation, trip, pre-baby, etc). These keep my mini-goals pretty frequent which in turn keeps me motivated because there is never a goal that is too far out of reach.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #3  
GoingForGold

S/C/G: 177/152/130

I am a vacation-minded person, so I say for your halfway goal (which is about 82 pounds for you) - you go on a weekend trip to wherever you find the cheapest airline tickets. Or...if with kids it would be too much, priceline a hotel nearby.

In fact, I hate shopping (except for Gold, jewelry, and perfume), so I'd much rather just go on a day trip every time I reached my goal to show off my new body. But if you like shopping, you can combine a trip with a new outfit :-)

Some other suggestions - new haircut, spa treatment, over the top date-night or going out with friends in nearest city. Maybe once you reach a certain weight, treat yourself to a one month membership with a gym that has classes you know you'll like or a personal trainer to give you a push along the journey.

Good luck Rebecca8 - you can get where you're going! And you have such a wonderful support system on this forum.
GoingForGold82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 132/130/112

Height: 5'2

I had gained several pounds after my wedding and my favorite pants didn't fit well anymore. So I was so excited that after a week I could fit in them again. Small goals like that help a lot because even though the scale didn't show a big change, those pants fitting agai did and it keeps me motivated. I have found that although I miss my junk food I am so less bloating eating healthier and I don't get heart burn or upset stomach at night anymore. Sometimes writing some of this down helps. I hadn't set it as a mini goal but what a great accomplishment after the fact. Best of luck to you! Hope you hit one of your goals soon! And make sure you reward yourself, either take yourself and a friend to the movies, get a tattoo you always wanted, or those cute shoes you saw online!
sunshine326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Thank you! I set weight-increment goals of ten pounds. Since I have so much to lose 5-pound increments just seemed too much, lol. I will also reward myself "big" for every 1/4 of weight lost. Then, I set some "I Can't Wait to Sees" for things like seeing my feet, getting into the 100s, etc. Thank you all so much for the ideas!
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 177.7/150.8/132

I'm doing percentages... waiting for 5% down on initial weight *ALMOST THERE*

I also set that when I lose those 5% I would buy myself some new things.

I've just lost 4.2% but I ordered the stuff online yesterday because I had to buy news pants last week because my old ones (US size 14) weren't fitting properly anymore. So I thought: Just go for it and be at 5% before you receive the stuff!!!

It'll take over a week for the stuff I ordered to get here, also, I ordered ONE SIZE DOWN, size 12! I think I'll need to lose 7% before those pants will actually fit me, as right now I'm half way between 14 and 12 I think. It's just extra motivation. I've found that along with losing weight, having a goal item to wear is nice (not something too small though, I like my mini goals to be monthly...)

Last edited by nevaeh1984; 10-25-2011 at 01:05 AM.
nevaeh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/265/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambiechop View Post
For me it's been a combination of weight increments (20, 40, 60, etc.), percentages (% of starting weight), and momentous weights (graduation, trip, pre-baby, etc). These keep my mini-goals pretty frequent which in turn keeps me motivated because there is never a goal that is too far out of reach.
Me too! (Bar pre-baby weight... I don't have any kids! )

My weight increments are usually half a stone (7lbs). Small enough to concentrate on, but 2 of them are big enough to make a difference.

At the moment, I'm aiming to get below 18 stone by Christmas. There are 8 and a bit weeks until Christmas, and I have about 5 lbs to lose to make that goal. (Whoops... to those who don't know, a stone is 14lbs.) It may not be a gargantuan weight to lose in that time, but I feel it's achievable.

I also aim to get into certain pieces of clothing.
Last month, I was going through my wardrobe and found a t-shirt that I hadn't worn for ages because I'd grown out of it. It now fits.
Now, my current clothes goal is to get into my black trousers the size down from what I'm wearing. I have them in my wardrobe, and tried them on a while ago; I could *just* about squeeze into them. Now that my current black trousers are getting baggy, I want to get into my smaller black trousers. The thighs have gone down well, it's just the stomach that's getting in the way!

Last edited by treasureBelle; 10-25-2011 at 07:29 AM.
treasureBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

I have a large amount to lose and I can get completely overwhelmed thinking about the end number so I break it down by 5 lb increments. I don't have to lose 150 pounds - I just have to lose five. I can lose five pounds - that's easy enough to do. Then, I do it again and again.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #9  
Candi

S/C/G: 307/304/200

Height: 6'0"

I am new here as well I decided to set mini goals like exiting the 300 then bye bye to the 290s ect... Good Luck to you
Candi44 is offline   Reply With Quote