Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #1  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Default One Year of Better Eating - Exceeded Goal

A year ago I decided to start eating better. I wanted to get healthier and lose weight. My walking partner had been unable to continue walking a year and a half earlier and thirty pounds had crept on . I wanted to set an achievable goal. I was 53 at the time and from what I'd read, I felt 1/2 pound a week was achievable. It may not sound like much to folks who are trying to lose 10 pounds a month, but I wanted to be sure I could reach it.

So I started WW myself. That worked for me for several months. I lost 14 pounds, got into Onederland and stopped tracking. Surprise, I stopped losing. I did get out of Women's sizes and back into normal sizes. I managed to keep the 14 pound loss for several months. I got some bad blood results and followed my doctor's eating guidelines: nothing fried, more vegetables, red meat once a month, limited alcohol, and exercise. Like I said, I followed her eating guidelines. I got a little more exercise, but not much. I lost a pound or two, and my blood test results got worse and way worse.

Then my husband's doctor told him to start South Beach. We started that day. I lost 8 pounds in the first two weeks, and then steadily lost weight, until a 6 week stall from mid-February until this past week. I gained and lost the same 3 pounds, but maintained my 30 pound total loss. Now I've lost a few more pounds for a grand total of 34 pounds. That exceeds my goal of 26 pounds in the first year. I've been tracking what I'm eating, exercising and weighing in Fitday. At first it was just to get an idea of where I stood. Now I'd say I'm more of a calorie counter than a South Beacher. But it's all based on better choices.

So I'm starting Year 2 of better eating today. I'm getting some exercise in, but that's where my major improvement needs to be in this year. My goal is to keep the 34 pounds off and continue losing 1/2 pound a week.

Although I joined this group in October, I really started visiting mid-January. I've learned a lot from everyone and gotten a lot of encouragement from the posts, successes and struggles I've read. Thanks everyone at 3FC.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

One whole year! That's phenomenal! I'm coming up on my one year anniversary, so I know just how you feel

to you!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/247/210

Height: 5'8

Hi,
I have just started Metabolic Research Center and I am in preconditioning until Fridays food class. How do I find others that are posting under that specific diet so we can work together?
Thanks!
tennisheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

You want this thread, Tennisheather:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139002
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Congrats Webrover

I recognized your username and I just had to get my in as well.

I know how important it is to make any change and then to do it for a long time (well longer than a New York minute).

I too am in my mid 50s and I have been able to lose enough weight where I am at a weight that I haven't been or seen since 1985.

I started slowly like you and decided to pick up the pace about six months ago and then really pick up the pace since the beginning of this year.

We are all very proud of your efforts, Webrover, give yourself a large from us all.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #6  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks Faerie and pamatga. You are both doing awesome. I'm sure once I really start getting some exercise in that I can pick up the pace. But I'm happy to be losing at my current weight. I was afraid if I set too aggressive a goal that I would get discouraged if I couldn't keep up with it.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote