Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #1  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Talking A totally unexpected benefit...

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but if it isn't, I'm sure the mods will move it!

Allergies are a significant issue for me year round because of dust, and the heating season always means a constant low-grade sinus congestion for me requiring twice daily doses of cortisone nasal spray. It has been this way for me for years.

Two days ago I noticed that one of my meds was needing a refill. I checked to see what else was low, and although the date showed I was due for my allergy nasal spray, I realized I hadn't used it for more than a week, and had been using it sparingly before then, even. "Hmmm, that's an interesting side effect to eating better," I thought. Now, I'm not sure of the link between one and the other, and if anyone knows, I certainly am curious. For now, though, I'll take it, no questions asked!

The list of ways in which I feel better managing my eating and losing weight seems to be never-ending!

Ti'an
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Red face

Hi Ti'an,

Allergies are TOTALLY linked to diet if not totally, then somewhat! My sister had the worst allergies for years, so much so that she actually had to quit school for a semester from the headaches, sinus problems, and sneezing. After going to numerous doctors (even getting an MRI) she finally went to a nutritionist who tested her for food and environmental allergies. Well, turned out she was allergic to ALL animal products and certain veggies and fruits, and allergic to some plants/trees. But the big thing for her was diet. So she was forced to go vegan and has never looked back. She's 100% healthy now!

Now you obviously aren't that bad, but everyone is pretty much allergic to the additives and chemicals in unhealthy foods anyway, so certainly eating better will make your allergies better. You can even take it so far to realize you're allergic to dairy and wheat (which 80% of people are but don't realize it). I myself realized I have a slight wheat allergy and cutting out grains clears up my head and makes my tummy feel less bloated. So, it's whatever your body is sensitive to.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Ti'an, not diet related, but you might consider, sinuses or not, to have your heating ducts cleaned each fall before turning the heat on, or clean electric baseboard heaters really well and give them a test run while it's still warm enough to air out the place when the dust is burning off. I'm allergic to dust myself, and either of these options really helps me avoid problems when the heat comes on for winter.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/190/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default so much is intertwined

I have a lot of allergy issues (although no allergies to stuff they tested for). I have lost my sense of smell on and off for the past 4 years. When I drink enough water and eat right, I have a lot less symptoms. I also think that my sinus issues are tied to emotional junk as well. I can't wait to see how it changes as the weight falls off and I deal with the reason's it's there to begin with
beautypursuer is offline   Reply With Quote