Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/245.5/160

Height: 5'7"

Wink Natural Supplements

As mentioned in the January thread, I'm researching natural supplements to assist with my lifestyle change. I didn't search to see if this has been "discussed" already, so my apologies for the repeat, however, I think it is worthy to keep the subject in the forefront - especially when some MRC center counselors try to push their supplements. Arguably, MRC supplements work for some, but my concerns are: 1) I can't find any studies or science to back their claims; 2) I don't want to be dependent on synthetic supplements to lose & maintain weight loss.

The first natural supplement I came across was "L-Carnitine." L-Carnitine is already produced in the body and it's function is to pull fat from your cells to be used as energy. From my understanding, it is especially beneficial to take before working out.

The other supplement I recently "discovered" is Raspberry Ketone (RK). RK is the aromatic compound of the red raspberry and has been proven to assist with fat burning and is also an anti-oxidant.

Lastly, I'm also learning more about the benefits of White Kidney Bean Extract (phaseolus vulgaris extract - PVE). So far, indications are this can be used to regulate insulin & reduce sugar cravings. Also, each 1,000 grams of PVE will block up to 50g of carbs.

By no means do I expect anyone to take MY word. I encourage everyone to look it up and draw your own conclusion.
LeoTheLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #2  

Do you take the white kidney bean extract daily?
jenrummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/215/155

Height: 5'10"

I have had similar concerns regarding the products they push. MRC-6 third ingredient is apple cider vinegar. ACV tabs go for $4/per bottle. I am also concerned that amount of each supplement is taken daily. Your body can only absorb so much of a vitamin daily and you just expel the rest unused. I find it amazing that they say that there is data on their usage of supplements but it is just not available bc it is proprietery. I spoke to some at our local Vitamin Shoppe and he told me to bring in the bottles and that they can match up similar products. We just needed to determine what the supplements main ingredient/benefit was supposed to be. Good luck in your research!
BOBCAT9976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrummie View Post
Do you take the white kidney bean extract daily?
Hi Jenrummi!
No. Currently, I am not taking any supplements. The plan I'm on is so low in carbs, it's not necessary for me to add PVE, however, if for some reason the MRC plan starts to not work as well as it has been, I want to have product info on natural supplements to counter their push for me to buy their supplements.

Luckily (thus far), my center doesn't push as hard as I've "heard" others do.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT9976 View Post
I have had similar concerns regarding the products they push. MRC-6 third ingredient is apple cider vinegar. ACV tabs go for $4/per bottle. I am also concerned that amount of each supplement is taken daily. Your body can only absorb so much of a vitamin daily and you just expel the rest unused. I find it amazing that they say that there is data on their usage of supplements but it is just not available bc it is proprietery. I spoke to some at our local Vitamin Shoppe and he told me to bring in the bottles and that they can match up similar products. We just needed to determine what the supplements main ingredient/benefit was supposed to be. Good luck in your research!
I call B.S. on the "proprietary" explanation! If any company doesn't want me to know the ingredients their using that are going into my body, then I don't trust them or the results of their data - period.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #6  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

when i showed my doctor the plan, she said it's a good plan but if i took the supplements i may lose a little faster but would regain once i stopped taking them. i've had alot of friends that go to a local diet doc that sells them appetite suppresants and B-12 shots - they lose like crazy but once they go off, regain it back and more.

so i did this plan without any supplements but i drink 3-4 HNSs a day (i use my own protein powders) which is comparable to theirs. i take women daily vitamins, fish oil, B-12, B-6 w/ cider vinegar, calcium.

when they pushed the supplements, i would put them off telling them i have a low tolerance to medicine and told them my doctor did not recommend me taking them so they wrote that in the folder to kind of leave me alone. they would bring it up sometimes and i'd say i just love the diet plan and it's working great without all the pills, thank you very much :-)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote