Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/148/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Worth it to join?

My best friend and I are thinking about joining MRC. I've done some research on it, mostly reading the threads on this site and it sounds like it's been very effective for a lot of people.

What I want to know is, how does MRC compare to recent Diet Crazes like 17 Day Diet, South Beach or simply following a low-glycemic/low carb eating plan? And I hear a lot about high cost....what is it really based on?

I am planning on going to a consultation at least next week.

I have about 30-40 lbs to lose...I weigh around 165 lbs, but I'm only 5'4", but carry the weight well as most people don't say that I'm overweight because I'm very "athletic" looking (that's code for carrying it well I guess). Do they turn people away for not having enough to lose? I think 30 lbs for me is definitely doable even though some of my friends think I'm crazy.

I would love some advice. I don't really want to spend crazy amounts of money, but I understand that you do need to put some $$ into it.

Thanks for the help. I've read through the different programs, but aren't familiar with all of them, but it sounds like there are different ones that are more or less restrictive and will help you lose weight faster, right?

Thanks again.
zeefraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW211(MRC-SW193.6)/182/130

Height: 5'0"

MRC is a low-glycemic/low-carb eating plan. If you can diet successfully on your own, MRC probably isn't worth the money.

However, if you're more like me, and are more successful with accountability, then MRC may be for you.

Really what you're paying for is accountability. Twice a week, I go in, review what I've been eating with someone who's "been there, done that", and then get weighed. Knowing that someone else is going to be looking at what I've been eating, helps keep me on track.

It also makes it harder to lie to myself.

On average, I spend about 40 minutes a week at MRC. I spent about $300 for 16 months of that consultation time. That roughly works out to about $7/hour I'm paying for someone to help "keep me honest". It's worth it for me. Your mileage may vary.
mandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #3  

Do you have to pay each time you go in for a consultation or is that included in your registration fee?

It sounds like you start with a registration fee based on how much you want to lose and then you pay additionally for supplements and other meal replacement things like shakes?

Thanks for your input. Personally I do need the accountability and frankly I'm tired of killing myself exercising AND dieting to lose weight. I don't mean that I don't want to exercise, but I find myself not enjoying the love of activity and movement because it's so focused on, "if I don't go work out, I won't lose weight". I want to just enjoy my exercise rather than focus it on weight loss only.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeefraug View Post
Do you have to pay each time you go in for a consultation or is that included in your registration fee?

It sounds like you start with a registration fee based on how much you want to lose and then you pay additionally for supplements and other meal replacement things like shakes?

Thanks for your input. Personally I do need the accountability and frankly I'm tired of killing myself exercising AND dieting to lose weight. I don't mean that I don't want to exercise, but I find myself not enjoying the love of activity and movement because it's so focused on, "if I don't go work out, I won't lose weight". I want to just enjoy my exercise rather than focus it on weight loss only.
Yes, that's correct. There's a one time fee for a 17 week plan plus a year of a maintenance plan plus support. During those 16 months you can go in as many times as you want for no charge, but they suggest you come in at least twice a week, which is what I do. That's what I used for my $7/hour figure... ($300 one time fee/40 minutes * 2 times per week * 64weeks). There are also cooking and other classes weekly included as well.

Meal replacements aren't really a big part of the plan. They are not required and are actually limited. There are protein supplements that are a very big part of the plan. You take 3 or more protein supplements per day, depending on your plan. I take 3 per day. The protein supplements are only 70 or so calories with 15 grams of protein, so they couldn't really be considered a meal replacement. They're just extras.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #5  

Also, while I do an hour and a half of cardio and strength training 3 to 5 days a week, I agree that it's difficult to lose weight through exercise. Exercise makes you stronger, and makes you feel and look better, but it's really difficult to burn enough calories to make a huge difference in weight loss. I think the most efficient way to lose weight is through diet. Exercise is just a bonus. :-)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I would also add that it's very low calorie - under 1000/day usually. It's a difficult program, to be sure, but I have never had results like it. You have to be prepared to give yourself over to it and follow it to the letter to make the amount of money you're spending worth it. In my opinion, if you're going to follow it kinda half-way, add off plan foods in, and lose only 1lb/week, this may not be the program for you. It's too expensive!

The other thing to consider is moving into stabilization/maintenance. So many people lose the weight quickly, but have a hard time when given the freedoms of maintenance. I have to work pretty much as hard as I did while losing and eat the same kinds of foods to keep it off, just in larger quantities.

I'm not trying to discourage you if you feel like this is right for you. I just want you to know what you're getting in to! I love the program and it worked for me. I'm in my 5th month of maintaining a 72lbs loss.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #7  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Mandiana, I think your responses nail it here.

I love MRC, and it can lead to some quick loss. And for me, the accountability factor was crucial.

Athough I am back at it (put some back on), I lost at about 70 lbs between 8/09 and 1/10, so it really made a nice change for me.

--Joy2MeNu
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #8  

Thanks for the responses.

I'm planning on going in for a consultation next week.

I was under the impression that the plan was a low calorie plan that required you to drink shakes for meal replacements and you only ate one meal per day and very limited at that. I think this refers to the most restrictive plan...the one that uses HCG?

I've done virtually every plan out there...Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, 17 Day Diet....they're all the same really, with just a few things changed here and there. Was just wondering if MRC was really any different other than going in to get weighed and having that accountability. I've done those too....and the thought of going in to be weighed and asked questions why the diet isn't working always made me stick to the diet more!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #9  

The lowest calorie plan they have, at least that I've been on, was about 750 calories. Those 750 calories included 3 70 calorie drinks, but also included 3 meals consisting of actual food (as opposed to meal replacement bars or shakes).
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/207/180

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiana View Post
The lowest calorie plan they have, at least that I've been on, was about 750 calories. Those 750 calories included 3 70 calorie drinks, but also included 3 meals consisting of actual food (as opposed to meal replacement bars or shakes).
Which plan is this - 750 calories?
Do you know how many calories is Meta Slim Plus? I just got started, I'm curious.

Thanks,
carmendmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmendmv View Post
Do you know how many calories is Meta Slim Plus? I just got started, I'm curious.

Thanks,
How are you liking it?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmendmv View Post

Thanks,
It's the plan that must not be mentioned on 3FC. I'm not sure how many calories are on Meta Slim Plus, but I would guess 1100-1200? I've never done Meta Slim Plus, but I've seen the food list for people who are and I feel like that plan was about 200 calories more than the Meta Slim plan that I'm currently doing which usually has me around 900 calories.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeefraug View Post
How are you liking it?
If you're asking how I liked the 750 calorie plan, I actually liked the food plan just fine, but when I figured out what the drops actually were, I stopped taking them. I just couldn't make myself put that stuff in my mouth again.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiana View Post
If you're asking how I liked the 750 calorie plan, I actually liked the food plan just fine, but when I figured out what the drops actually were, I stopped taking them. I just couldn't make myself put that stuff in my mouth again.
Okay...so I'll ask since I don't know...what is in the drops? Or do I not want to know?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

We are actually not allowed to talk about this plan, per 3FC. If you're interested in why, check out the sticky at the top of the Metabolic Research:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/meta...ops-plans.html

Even though many centers continue to offer it, 3FC will shut down threads that mention it.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote