Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Default I miss my wine!

I am an everyday-glass-of-wine girl and I am finding it SO hard to break this habit. IF I can get past the first half-hour home and get right to fixing dinner, I can get past it but... not always. And that suggestion of drinking sparkling water out of a nice wineglass does NOT work for me. What does anyone else do?
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #2  
Start IP 4/8/2013

S/C/G: upper 174/163.9/130

Height: 5'4

I know where your coming from... Your just going to have to push thru it. Trust me... I wanted a glass tonight ... It's just my routine in relaxing for the night - your not alone ... Cheers!
Desiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #3  

I'm pushing ... Pushing... Pushing...
Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #4  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

I don't have that issue, but I have others, and yes, you'll just have to keep trying, and it will get easier. Have you tried an HNS concentrate mixed with that sparkling water? I know it won't be the same, but it might get you closer than just sparkling water. You could do the wildberry or the grape maybe.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #5  

Good idea - more interesting than plain water. And would take the edge off hunger before dinner too. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #6  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I know this is a suggestion from left field as I'm not following your diet program...but how much detriment would having that glass of wine slowly dwindle out of your daily life cause to your diet? I'm talking about weening yourself. Have that full glass today, less tomorrow, less the next day, and so on. Or, have the wine with seltzer added to it, and a piece of lemon/lime/orange slice spritzer, and the next day, less wine and more seltzer? Until eventually, the wine is "poof" gone from the equation? It isn't about wanting to stop drinking, its about the wine not fitting into your diet, right?

I don't know if this is a logical approach but its an approach.

I made rice and beans the other night for dinner. The way my day went, I allowed myself a full cup of both rice and beans. I ate it with a salad. When I was done, I wanted another bite. I measured out 1/4 cup rice and 1/4 cup beans. It was done in 3 mouthfuls, it satisfied me to no end, it wasn't the worst thing I could have done to my diet (worst would have been going to the store for a sundae ) and in the end, that extra 1/2 cup total of food didn't make much, if any, difference/impact to my diet.

So, if you think you can have that wine, and ween off of it, better than going cold turkey, with little to no impact...in the long run...on your program, does that sound like a useful suggestion?

Good luck.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 09-23-2011 at 06:40 AM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #7  

Well I had my weigh-in today and LOST NOTHING. She said it takes 7 days to get back in ketosis after having alcohol. Sobering (no pun intended). So weaning off doesn't sound like a good idea for the MRC program. I am just going to have to push through it. I read somewhere that before you eat off program ask yourself, will this help or hinder my progress. Wine obviously hinders...
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

I'd say work it into your daily calories, if you're a calorie counter. I def could not give up wine I have 2 glasses every Thurs night (while watching project runway) and look forward to it all week
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #9  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Yeah, for this to work right, you really need to not cheat. Like I said, I have other issues, and it really does take at least three days for me to start losing again. It might be okay for monthly cheat or something, but any more frequently than that, and you slow things way down. Good luck!
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #10  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

You need to want to lose weight more than to have that glass of wine. You also need to realize that nobody is taking it away from you...if you are choosing this diet, you are choosing to let go of the wine. I am so not trying to be insensitive here....but I have been through a very similar challenge and it was much harder to let go of it when I felt like it was being taken away from me, rather than the other way around We all miss our old ways...but those are what got us here!

Tami

Last edited by Tamikl; 09-24-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Tamikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #11  

I dont think you are being insensitive, Tamikl. You are right. So is tkdtara. I think i am having a hard time getting psyched for the discipline this program requires. I have lost and regained multiple times, and my head isn't in the best place. I do kinda feel sorry for myself, even though I know it was my choices that got me back in this situation. Knowing all this intellectually and accepting it emotionally are two different things, it seems!

next week I am going to the class on emotional eating at my center.

And I have not had any wine in 7 days now. Its getting a little easier.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

camaswa--good for you for not having wine in 7 days! Woo hoo! That really is an achievement when you're used to having it everyday. I agree w/Tamikl....if you are choosing this diet, you are choosing not to have wine. I love to have a glass of wine (or any other alcoholic drink) w/my boyfriend while enjoying the night out on his balcony. I had a grape HNS in a wine glass the other night while he had a rum and coke zero. I will be honest and say I had a small inner pity party but in that moment chose to refocus my thoughts and remind myself that one day I'll be able to enjoy that occasionally and this discipline is a MUST for me in my life right now as I strive to reach my goal. And after I changed my thoughts, I was able to look at that glass and smile at my HNS.....at least I was able to make the "must drink an HNS vs wine" experience a little more "special"

You can do this!! Hang in there.
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #13  

Update- it's getting easier! For one thing,
my energy level is more even and I dont feel I "need" alcohol at the end of the day quite as much. I'm also finding the moment passes. I like Hansons diet ginger ale, so I sit down with that and it's not so bad. I will say I am more or less hibernating - no happy hours, dinners out, meals with friends. I can't do that forever but for now I'm ok with it. Day 14.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/137

Height: 5'6"

Hi Camawasa,
whoa--I totally know where you're coming from--looks like we both live in the wine rich region of the US. I also was used to having a glass (even a small one) after dinner each night.
Giving up the wine WAS my biggest concern--but lo and behold--wow--it turned out it wasn't really that difficult.
I found that wine does tend to make me hungry and I didn't need that, for sure. So that was a big plus.
The sparking water is a fab replacement--there are all kinds of sugarless varieties (no fake sugar either) that I have found that are certainly wonderful to have.
And as one of my counselors told me in the beginning--"hey--this is your 17 weeks to get this off and do the program to it's fullest. Just do it now, do it clean, and get it over with"
shiner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

Yep, wine is an appetite stimulant.....they even give it to patients recovering from severe anorexia to help them with the desire to eat! Congrats to all of us for CHOOSING health and just getting it done
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote