Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #1  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Default What are your food staples?

I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods were on this meal plan. I did the program once before and got within 15 lbs. of my goal weight before stopping because I got pregnant. I know this diet works, so I'm really glad I've signed back up, but preconditioning is causing me to rethink some food choices. When I did it before, I kind of fell into a rut and ate the same few things and because I hate veggies, I would sometimes even skip them toward the end. I've checked out the recipes thread, but I just want to know some mainstays that you guys tend to make over and over.

My mainstays were ground turkey with taco seasoning in half a Joseph's wrap, rotisserie chicken (white meat) on bread or wrap, baked fish with a chili type marinade, and half a sandwich with a lot of deli chicken.

For veggies, I mainly ate green beans. I had a short stint with broccolli but got to a point where I couldn't choke it down anymore. I really miss a little salt! I'm thinking about roasting this time around or grilling (hubby was in Iraq last time, and I had never used a grill before).

What are everyone's favorite things?
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #2  
Started Precon 6-20-11

S/C/G: 196/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I've had a George Foreman grill for over a year and until I started this diet about 10 days ago had never used it. It is very handy for this diet. It's way too much hassle for me to fire up the BBQ to burn something, but the GF grill is a lifesaver!
victorialynn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #3  
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

The MRC recipe for Texas Chili helped me survive the winter here!

I also made buffaloaf (I posted in the recipe thread) a lot, but then got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore.

Chicken (in various forms), tilapia & bison became my biggest mainstays. Salmon & steak became my "reward" dinners.

I mostly leaned on green beans and broccoli, but I'm pretty sick of them right now... Starting in May, I really started eating lots of salads--but I like salads when the weather is warm, not so much in the winter.

I find I have the hardest time getting my veggies in, too, and have an easier time when I can "hide" them in something, like the chili or buffaloaf.
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I also hate veggies and am disappointed to learn that so many that I've taught myself to tolerate over the years aren't on plan! Bye-bye colored peppers, onions, and carrots! I'll see you after I hit goal!

For lunch yesterday I had some snowpeas. They. were. awesome. I honestly enjoyed them. They will definitely become a mainstay for me. Lettuce is innocuous so I can handle that, and I really like tomatoes. Grilling seems to bring out some of the less offensive flavors in asparagus and I plan to try grilling zucchini, squash, and eggplant.

It's really easy for me to get into a protein rut. I found a really awesome apricot-lemon chicken recipie that seems to be totally on plan, ground turkey with taco seasoning is good, and grilling seems to make just about anything taste better! Last night we had chicken kabobs with green pepper and pineapple.
LetHerOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

I keep and eat mainly the basics:

grilled or baked wild caught salmon

eggs

cheddar cheese

cottage cheese

foils of tuna in water

ground beef 8% fat

lettuce

cucumbers

radishes

steamable vegetables, especially broccoli

I haven't been able to eat any chicken except for a chicken enchilada dip recipe. I am so sick of it. So I make chicken breasts once a week and force myself to choke it down.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #6  
Started Precon 6-20-11

Speaking of veggies, is the super veggie drink a substitute for a serving of veggies? I bought some but don't think I can use it until day 11.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #7  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

what is a super veggie drink? Is it something sold at MRC? I would be much better able to drink veggies than eat them, lol. I was thinking about trying gazpacho. I like it okay, the tomatoes aren't cooked, and I think it would even work to make up a big batch and freeze.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

I make turkey meatballs and vacuum seal each serving (the serving size I am allowed) I then am able to grab and go when i don't have anything else. They preserve well and to heat, you just put the whole thing (you don't have to puncture/tear the sealed bag) in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. I love them with mustard.
evinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238.5/198/162

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinsmom View Post
I make turkey meatballs and vacuum seal each serving (the serving size I am allowed) I then am able to grab and go when i don't have anything else. They preserve well and to heat, you just put the whole thing (you don't have to puncture/tear the sealed bag) in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. I love them with mustard.

How do you season your meatballs? That sounds like a good idea.
RaRaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #10  
Started Precon 6-20-11

tkdtara84 Yes, I bought the Super Veggie at MRC and I am pretty sure it's a veggie substitute. I'm not sure if I can use it until I get on the Green Menu. I will ask Monday when I go to the center if you can substitute for veggies. I expect it will have a strong flavor because it has spirulina in it.It's an acquired taste, but I have had green drinks before (other brands) and once I get use to it, I crave it because I get a lot of energy from it. I'm typically low iron and I think it's high in that too.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #11  
Started Precon 6-20-11

I checked the Super Veggie label and it's not high in Iron. I do have a note on it that 2 scoops equals one veggie serving. I believe you can have 1 scoop during the day if you get hungry. I've also read you can't substitute for your veggies more then 3X a week. I haven't tried it yet, but I've read it has a minty flavor. Some people hate it and others like it.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #12  
Started March 26, 2011

S/C/G: 328/228/199

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorialynn2 View Post
I checked the Super Veggie label and it's not high in Iron. I do have a note on it that 2 scoops equals one veggie serving. I believe you can have 1 scoop during the day if you get hungry. I've also read you can't substitute for your veggies more then 3X a week. I haven't tried it yet, but I've read it has a minty flavor. Some people hate it and others like it.
I actually started a thread on this a couple months back. I was using the Super Veggie drink. I didn't follow the rule of just 3x per week. I was using it pretty much everyday for lunch and sometimes dinner. That was about the first 5 weeks of my program. Then the consultant told me I really needed to start cutting back and eating veggies. So, I did. I still drink the veggie drink maybe once or twice a week when I don't feel like cooking a veggie.

The one tip I have is... mix it with only about 2-4 ounces of water and shoot it! I've tried to mix it with HNS and can't stand it but then I'm stuck drinking a whole glass of mess. It also helps if you pinch your nose until you get used to the taste... which I still haven't gotten used to it.

As for my staples... Fish, turkey with taco seasoning and sometimes ranch chicken fingers. Green beans are about the only veggie I can really tolerate and I posted a recipe for Oriental green beans on the Recipe thread. Sometimes I will do broccoli & cauliflower and then put the taco seasoned turkey on top to down out the taste.
Rzrbackcandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/124/115

Height: 5'5.5"

I found this REALLY good low-calorie hot mustard and I put it on celery and eat it as a snack. It is very satisfying and makes celery delicious!

It's Great Value Southwest Spicy mustard if anyone wants to try it. Cheap, too!
laurielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #14  
Started Precon 6-20-11

Elvinsmom, I love your idea about freezing the turkey meatballs! Please share your recipe.

Last night I tried a recipe I found on Whole Foods site for brussels sprouts with a oil/lemon/mustard dressing. It will be a new staple because I love it! Really dresses up the BS. I posted the directions in the recipe thread if you want to try it.

Last edited by victorialynn2; 07-09-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaF View Post
How do you season your meatballs? That sounds like a good idea.
I use ground turkey and season with Mrs. Dash Original Blend and Italian Medley. I use 40 calorie bread as the binder (ground up). Sometimes I will put in chopped green onions. I'm sorry, I don't have exact measurements, I usually just eyeball it. I ball them up and cook them uncovered in a 400degree oven for about 40 minutes. They are delicious.
evinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote