Old 07-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #1  
Always on a diet

S/C/G: 170/155/140

Height: 5'5''

Default Ketosis

Hi everyone. I am new to the site and fairly new to the diet. I have been on M.R. for about a month and a half. I have not been able to get into Ketosis yet. And my weight loss has slowed down dramatically (1 pound a week). I am on Meta-slim Three Meal Plan. I know about no licks, no caffeine, ect. I am doing 4 HN supps a day. And drinking my water. Anybody else have this problem with Ketosis? Is there any tricks? Like some fruits/veggies are worse to eat on their list than others? I know being in Ketosis is how the weight comes off quickly.

Thank you so much!
sonyaertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome, sonyaertle!

I've been curious about ketosis myself and did a little googling. From what I've learned, ketosis is really hard to measure. Urine sticks are not accurate because all the water we drink can dilute the urine so proteins will not be concentrated enough to change the color of the stick. We also burn ketones (a byproduct of ketosis) through breathing and sweating so we don't know how much is lost that way--especially if you exercise. Also, I know from personal experience that my ketone sticks at home never change color but I've been showing trace to small ketones at the center. This is new for me. Until three to four weeks ago, I never showed ketones at all.

If you are following the diet without cheating then you should be in ketosis. Some people are more carb sensitive as others and I don't think this is really something we find out individually until we enter stabilization.

I'm not sure which vegetables are higher in carbs. Someone else here probably knows this.

As far as your weight loss goes, I too have to remind myself that inches are just as important as numbers on the scale.

The only trick that works for me is increasing my water and even then my loss varies from week to week. Overall consistency is key. And sometimes I'm more active than others.

Good luck to you. I look forward to more of your posts.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

its a bit sciency, but you might find this website useful...

http://www.mynchen.demon.co.uk/Ketog...genic_diet.htm

In terms of veggies I am not sure which ones are on those lists, but I stick mostly to the following for the bulk of my veg and it works for me (though I have to admit to a bit of cheating with red peppers and onions - doesn't seem to affect my ketosis if I don't go overboard)

Celery
Asparagus
Courgettes (Zucchini)
Aubergine
all types lettuce leaves
Cabbage (green)
Spinach
Green Peppers

you do have to make sure that you get the balance of fat right...my diet includes around 2 dessert spoons of a good oil like rapeseed or olive...

But if it's not working and you are using the proscribed sachets, are there other hidden carbs somehwhere that you aren't accounting fo maybe, like milk or fruit?
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #4  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

sonyaertle - From what I've gathered, if you are feeling thirsty, have a slight metallic taste in your mouth and are losing fat not lean mass (check when they weigh you on the Tanita) then you are just in ketosis and that is as far as you need to be. If the ketostiks are showing a bright pink to maroon, you are probably too far in ketosis and burning lean mass as well as fat.

Eating sugars will back you off from ketosis so if you can avoid sugar in your 'cheats' and find other things that you love that don't have HFCS you will be better off. Alcohol is metabolized before foods and will not put you out of ketosis but will get you much drunker than normal so be careful with using that as a 'cheat'.

Little Edie is right - because muscle weighs more than fat, we could be losing fat but the scale reads the same. Have them do the full Tanika readout to check the ratios - you may really be losing fat even if not pounds.

Have a great day, everyone. jeanette
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 AM   #5  

Default Question for jeanette

Hi Jeanette,

I am just wondering, (it took me a while to post, but was mulling it over)
You say that Alcohol won't put you out of ketosis, given the carb content, why do you say this? Any info you can point me towards on this subject matter?

thanks

ellie
Old 07-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #6  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Ellie R,
Check out this site: www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html for info on ketosis.
jeanette
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuselady View Post
Ellie R,
Check out this site: www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html for info on ketosis.
jeanette
Hmm, thanks Jeanette, that's interesting!