Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #136  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie View Post
Are you feeling like a real athlete yet? Your speed is fantastic--you're going to feel like such a rock star when you meet your next goal of 3 miles. I think the personal challenge of C25K is the most rewarding part.
Thanks!

So, I did it today-- I made it to 3 miles. Well, more like 3.1 miles because I was running 6.2 mph (9:40 mile) for 30 minutes. On my last run, I did 2 straight, walked, then ran another. My goal for tonight was 2.5, but when I got there, I felt like I could keep going, so I did!

I don't think it hurt that I promised to buy myself a new pair of nike + shoes to hold my little ipod chip (I'm really liking the graph and stats and stuff that it gives me). With about 3 minutes left, I could really start to feel it, but I made it.

I was shocked because I also lifted weights with my legs tonight, and they felt icky before I started. When I first ramped up to 6.2, I thought there was something wrong with my treadmill because it felt slower, but after a few minutes I just realized it was easier for me. I did a solid mile before I started to feel much of anything. That is so amazing to me because I've always hated running simply because it always made me feel like I was going to die or throw up or something. Maybe people really can get to the point where it doesn't feel too bad-- I had a glimmer of that tonight, but I never would have believed it.

I have NEVER been able to even run one mile before. I'm so proud of myself. The feeling of accomplishment is addictive. I'm going to try to repeat this for my next two runs this week, and then I think my plan will be to work up to four miles straight, and then I will start increasing my speed in small amounts.

How's everyone else doing?
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #137  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Awesome work! I'm still in amazment over my running. I've never, ever been a runner, so it's so cool to me. Friday is my 20 min run, but I signed for the 5k on Saturday. I think I'm going to let my body rest tomorrow and just get out and run on Saturday. I really think two hard running days back to back would do more harm than good. Of course, I'm really skipping ahead in the program anyway. I'm only at the end of week 5.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 238.5/155.5/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtara84 View Post
Thanks!

So, I did it today-- I made it to 3 miles. Well, more like 3.1 miles because I was running 6.2 mph (9:40 mile) for 30 minutes. On my last run, I did 2 straight, walked, then ran another. My goal for tonight was 2.5, but when I got there, I felt like I could keep going, so I did!

I don't think it hurt that I promised to buy myself a new pair of nike + shoes to hold my little ipod chip (I'm really liking the graph and stats and stuff that it gives me). With about 3 minutes left, I could really start to feel it, but I made it.

I was shocked because I also lifted weights with my legs tonight, and they felt icky before I started. When I first ramped up to 6.2, I thought there was something wrong with my treadmill because it felt slower, but after a few minutes I just realized it was easier for me. I did a solid mile before I started to feel much of anything. That is so amazing to me because I've always hated running simply because it always made me feel like I was going to die or throw up or something. Maybe people really can get to the point where it doesn't feel too bad-- I had a glimmer of that tonight, but I never would have believed it.

I have NEVER been able to even run one mile before. I'm so proud of myself. The feeling of accomplishment is addictive. I'm going to try to repeat this for my next two runs this week, and then I think my plan will be to work up to four miles straight, and then I will start increasing my speed in small amounts.

How's everyone else doing?
That's so awesome!! You're addicted now! I used to feel that runner's high when I ran years ago. I was only doing 3 miles then but I ran outside and that's more difficult. Haven't reached that point yet this time on the treadmill although I'm only doing the 25min. so far. Next week is 28min. then on to the 3 miles.
KeepinOnandOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #139  
Gina

Default I Did It!!

I did my first 5k today & I completed the WHOLE THING - running!! I was on day 3 of the 5th week - the 20 minute run. While I was out there running thinking it was not possible, I really focused on not stopping until the 20 min mark - which was what I would have had to do on the training program anyway. Anything after that, I figured would just be bonus time. Well, I got distracted on the 5th lap (8 needed for the 5k) & didn't look at the time. I didn't want to stop not knowing how many minutes I ran since I'm so goal orientated. I got distracted again and by the time I was rounding into the 8th lap, I knew there was no way I was quitting after getting that far. Laps 6 & 7 were pretty slow running, but half way through 8 I hit a spurt and just started full out sprinting. It was AWESOME! I finished the 5k in 35 min and 51 seconds. Not bad for the first one. I still can't believe I ran almost 36 minutes without stopping, especially considering my longest run without a walk up to this point was 8 minutes!!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #140  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

WOW!! You ladies are kicking butt out there! I'm so proud of you all! I haven't gone back in three weeks now and keep telling myself that I'll get back in there and I just haven't done it. I'm afraid it will be like starting all over. I have to jump back in!

I just wanted to say congrats to all the great achievements!
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #141  
Gina

Hi Rocki - I was wondering where you have been. I'm glad you checked in - you started this group - hang in there - you can do it!!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #142  
Started Precon 6/29/11

Congratulations ShineOn!! That's awesome. I think a huge part of this is mental strength.

I have now run 4 miles two workouts in a row. The first time I did four miles at 6.2 mph, and the last time I did it at 6.3 mph. I'd like to increase my speed, so I think for each run I'm just going to add .1 in mph until I get up to about 7 mph or so. Then I'll reevaluate again, I guess.

I'm loving the new nike+ chip that works with the ipod nano-- is anyone else using it? It's like having a treadmill computer that you can take outside. Of course, I don't run outside, lol, but it's fun to see the graphs and join the running challenges on the nike website. My next run is tomorrow, so here's hoping I can make it through 4 miles at 6.4 mph!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #143  
Started Precon 6/29/11

OH, and I thought I'd add...sadly, I am GAINING weight. I have been OP, but the scale just isn't budging (or if it does, it's going the wrong way!). My trainer does the body fat analysis thing each week (using a tanita, just like MRC), and I lost 1.5% or the equivalent of 2.5 lbs. but the scale showed a loss of only 1 lb. (on his, not on MRC-- there it was the same). He says I'm building muscle, but I didn't think it happened that fast. I'm lifting weights, too, but are any of you having similar problems possibly caused from workouts or something? I just can't figure it out. I'm almost to stabilization (end of Feb.), but I'm not *quite* where I want to be yet. I assume I'll continue to lose anyway, albeit slower, if I keep working out like I have been.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #144  
Gina

tkdtara84 - Wow! Your speed is amazing!! You are doing really good. I have the nike+ chip. I was using it last fall when I tried to run and quit. I haven't started using it since I've been running on a treadmil. I set the pace wrong when I was programming the chip. I keep forgetting to put it in and reprogram on the treadmill. I need to get on that though - I plan on running outside when the weather gets better.

I'm plateauing too - but I know I'm not being perfect on plan either. The running is making me hungry and a little cocky & my blt's are getting out of hand. Today is my first perfect OP run day & I'm hanging in there!! The last time I got to start stabilization (they want me to lose an additional 5 lbs this time), I had stopped the exercising completely. I was losing muscle tone but dropping the weight really fast. I'm trying not to get too fixated on the weight, but it is a little discouraging. Since I've started running a more intense schedule, I can really feel the muscles building. I know, in the long run, the muscle will burn fat at a faster rate and help me keep the weight off. But it is satisifying to see the scale move too. I'm just not willing to give up the running and they're certainly not asking me too.

I don't know how helpful or encouraging that is. But I think you are doing great!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #145  
Started Precon 6/29/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineOn View Post
tkdtara84 - Wow! Your speed is amazing!! You are doing really good. I have the nike+ chip. I was using it last fall when I tried to run and quit. I haven't started using it since I've been running on a treadmil. I set the pace wrong when I was programming the chip. I keep forgetting to put it in and reprogram on the treadmill. I need to get on that though - I plan on running outside when the weather gets better.

I'm plateauing too - but I know I'm not being perfect on plan either. The running is making me hungry and a little cocky & my blt's are getting out of hand. Today is my first perfect OP run day & I'm hanging in there!! The last time I got to start stabilization (they want me to lose an additional 5 lbs this time), I had stopped the exercising completely. I was losing muscle tone but dropping the weight really fast. I'm trying not to get too fixated on the weight, but it is a little discouraging. Since I've started running a more intense schedule, I can really feel the muscles building. I know, in the long run, the muscle will burn fat at a faster rate and help me keep the weight off. But it is satisifying to see the scale move too. I'm just not willing to give up the running and they're certainly not asking me too.

I don't know how helpful or encouraging that is. But I think you are doing great!
It is a little discouraging not to see the scale move. Like you, I've gotten overconfident, too, because now I'm actually pretty happy with the way I look/feel. I would like to lose about 15 more lbs., but if I get stuck here, it won't be so bad. I am at a healthy BMI as it is (barely, but I am!).

I have also been cheating a bit here and there-- adding light cool whip to my MRC pudding, dinner out with friends, eating a few peanuts here and there, applesauce instead of the veggies I hate....nothing too huge, but it all adds up to something bigger.

Anyway, something you (I think it was you) posted on the stabilization thread (I checked it out since I'm headed there in a couple weeks and wanted to see what it was all about) really helped me out. You said that like Finz, doing it the second time around was easier because you didn't fight the process, and I really think that's what I've been doing. It's not that difficult to eat spinach or brocolli instead of my applesauce (after all, I did all that almost 100% of the time in the beginning). I only have a couple weeks left before I start to add stuff back in anyway, so why am I doing this to myself?

I keep thinking I know how to do it better or that since I'm working out so hard, I "deserve" more calories. I do legitimately get hungrier when I work out, but most of the time when I cave it's not because I'm hungry-- if I had to eat veggies to satisfy the hunger, I wouldn't eat, so that's why I think it's more of a mental thing. Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks-- I've been 100% OP this week, and I really think reading about that is what helped push me over the edge in my determination to finish strong.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #146  

How's everyone doing on their runs this week? I've done 2 runs for 28 minutes and they've gone fine. I've increased my speed a little. I ran at 5.5 for 26 minutes and then sprinted at 6.3 for the last 2 minutes. I haven't felt exhausted yet so I guess I'm on track for doing the full 30 minutes next week. I'm having a little pain in my right calf but it kind of went away while I was running. I'm going to try stretching it everyday to see if that helps. Hopefully it won't develop into anything worse.

Great job at the run last week, ShineOn! Did it feel harder running on a track instead of the treadmill? I'm a little worried about my body once I start running outside. Guess I'll find out when I get to it if my 41 year old body can take it :0)
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #147  

Just finished my first full 30 minute run!! It went great and I didn't even feel tired. I'm pretty sure I could have kept going for quite a bit longer. Maybe I had more energy because of my 2 day weekend break.....who knows but I'm glad I'm on the final week. I think I'll just work on building up speed for a while before I increase my distance anymore. I'll have to think about that. Anyone else still running??
Old 02-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #148  
Started Precon 6/29/11

My last run (Friday) was 4 miles at 6.5 mph. I'm shooting for 4 miles at 6.6mph tonight. I had a minor injury-- pulled/strained hamstring-- (I think from lifting weights, not from running), so I had to lay out for two days last week. I'm doing okay now, though, so hopefully I don't do something to it again tonight when I lift weights.

On the bright side, my scale is finally moving again! (or at least, it's moving in the right direction now!) I lost 2.5 over the weekend, and that's .5 below where I was at my lowest before the muscle gain. So, that's good. My exercise is on target, but it seems like when either eating or exercise goes well, the other falls behind. I need to work on getting 100% back OP. I keep sneaking in extra calories. I'm glad stabilization is coming up for me, even if I'm not exactly at my goal yet because I really think I need more calories than I'm getting now. That might prevent me from going on the wild munchie binges when I get so hungry I can't take it anymore.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocki View Post
Okay, so I think I'm on week 4. I started back last week (after almost a month off). I ran one day on my Thanksgiving week cruise and that was on the treadmill in the ship gym and I was wobbling all over that thing b/c the seas were so rough, but looking out the front of the ship while running was AWESOME!

I ran last week just once and this week I've run 3 days in a row and am loving it.

Monday I ran this schedule:
Walk 5, run 3, walk 2 run 3, walk 2, run 4 and walk 2 run 6. That way I got the 16 minutes in that week 4 calls for.

Tuesday I ran the correct C25K schedule: 5 Minute warm up..then this:
* Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
* Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
* Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
* Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
* Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
* Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
* Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

I do all my running/walking on a treadmill in the gym. I don't like the concrete, I can't run the neighborhood with a water bottle and don't like being without one and I just don't have any good places to run that are easy to get to (other than the gym).

Today I ran this just to see what I could do.

Walked about 12.5 minutes (I was on the phone and didn't get off when the 5 minute mark rolled around).

Ran until I couldn't go anymore just to see how long I could go.

I RAN 15 MINUTES!!!! WOOHOO!! That was encouraging.

Then I walked 3 more and ran 5 more and then walked 3 more. I ended up being on the treadmill for 43:13 minutes! That's more than normal for me.

I walk @ 3.7 mph and I run @ 4.9 mph. I listen to music and keep my towel, water and inhaler handy.

Okay, so that's my info. Post away. I'd love to here info, advice, tips from anyone.
Wow Rocki,
That's Awesome! I know the couch to 5 k plan works, one of my best friends did it 2 years ago and did great in her run. That is very inspiring as I've always wanted to run - people always look so free as they fly by. Hopefully one day soon I'll join in but for now, "baby steps", walking first :0).
Karen
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #150  
Started Precon 6/29/11

I think I've reached the threshold for my speed. I've done two runs at 6.6 mph for four miles, but I can't get past a mile or so at 6.7 before I have to take a walking break. I'm going to try for 4 miles at 6.6 again tonight, and then I'll give the 6.7 a shot again on Thursday.

On a side note--I have blisters! They're killing me. Not to mention I'm picky about how my feet look, and I don't really want a bunch of icky calluses.