Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default Beer (part 2)

Well, beer clearly does not matter when it comes to weight loss. I am hoping to lose 100lbs without giving up a drop, but that seems too easy right now.

So, I'm thinking how about abs with beer? A six pack without giving up a six pack.

Bring it on!

And cheers.

Last edited by IanG; 05-25-2013 at 12:01 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

Hmm since we're talkign about what we're up to... I gave up calorie counting yesterday. Everything I read demands that I eat way more than I am because of my frequency (well, now) in exorcise and to be honest I was doing it out of habit by this point anyway. I am disciplined enough to eat right without having to police myself.

I;m gonna watch myself for a few weeks to make sure I still lose... but only use myfitnesspal to track my cardio and strength training.
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

Sounds good BlueJay.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 309/165/159

I have come to conclusion you have to enjoy a little from time to time. I have learned it is ok to fall off wagon as long as you get back on. I have developed a taste for Guiness after going my whole life not liking any beer. That and now dark chocolate. Course I am down from 11 medications to 1. Maybe my taste buds were affected by the medicine.

Last edited by baltimora; 06-01-2013 at 05:08 PM.
baltimora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

Guiness is really good. So Is Fat Tire but I am cool drinking a Pabst if that's all that's around LOL.
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #6  
Eat
Random Citizen

S/C/G: 254/237/210

I tend to go for the session beers when I'm counting calories as they have less alcohol but still have pretty good flavor. My favorites have been:

Stone Levitation
21st Amendment Bitter American
Goose Island Honker's Ale

Founders All Day IPA was a disappointment as it didn't have much flavor and had a water down feel to it. I may just need to try it again.

Generally, especially when being a little more strict with the fat loss, I go for whiskey as it has good flavor and a lot less calories. Four Roses Single Barrel is my favorite.
Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

Very nice Eat. I'm sipping on a Green Flash Palate Wrecker right now. A big beer.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #8  
Eat
Random Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Very nice Eat. I'm sipping on a Green Flash Palate Wrecker right now. A big beer.
Our local grocery store got some of that in recently and I mentioned to my wife about some of your older posts talking about it. Well, this past Sunday, she surprised me with a four pack of it after I helped a friend move and did some yard work.

Very good beer!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

Glad you enjoyed it. I trust you lost some weight that day?

The Palate Wrecker is seasonal. They also sell West Coast IPA which is 7.3% and year-round. That one is also very nice (most people in fact prefer it). I try to keep both.

Last edited by IanG; 06-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #10  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

You guys are really making me thirsty! It's beer o'clock right?
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #11  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Ian,

You drink beer in lieu of having a solid meal (i.e. protein, veggies, salad, etc.) for dinner, right? If so, then your hypothesis is based upon a fairly unusual condition and, in such case, I don't know if its entirely accurate to say "beer doesn't matter in weight loss." I think what you have proved is that beer does not necessarily matter. But that depends on other factors.

The reason why beer is a problem for many people trying to lose weight is that they drink it in addition to their regular diet. Most people do not give up a traditional dinner in order to enjoy their beer.

I believe you've said in the past that you drink two beers for dinner, @300 calories each. That is in the calorie range of a typical dinner consisting of solid food. So, I wouldn't say that beer doesn't matter. I would say that you have found a way of incorporating something you love(beer) into your diet by sacrificing something that you could take or leave (a solid dinner).

P.S. After posting this I realized that I probably over-analyzed your post, which was meant to be light-heated.

Last edited by joefla70; 06-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

I must admit Joe that I think you are right.

However, there have been those occassions where I have drunk lots and lots and lots, taking me well over 2500 calories in a day when combined with my breakfast and lunch. And the weight still never comes and I continue to drop.

Part of me suspects that alcohol calories are different from food ones, at least in the way my body is able to use/store them. I certainly can't get fat from beer alone.

Which is not surprising really since beer is fat free.

My crazy hunch is that if I drink beer with a meal and go to bed, then my body would burn the beer calories and turn the meal to fat.

But if I go to bed with just beer in the belly, those calories have got nowhere to go, cannot be stored and there is no food to turn to fat. So no effect on weight.

Maybe I'll get to test it one day and just drink an insane amount of calories and not eat. Ouch.

Last edited by IanG; 06-05-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #13  
Eat
Random Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
Ian,

The reason why beer is a problem for many people trying to lose weight is that they drink it in addition to their regular diet. Most people do not give up a traditional dinner in order to enjoy their beer.
That's my problem and why I have to cut way back on beer when trying to lose weight. I've tried not eating and just having a couple of beers, but that ends up making me hungry and I don't make the best food choices then.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

Argh. Then it's not for you.

Beer allows me to deal with hunger better, which is why it works for me.

I know most people are not like that, however.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #15  

I lost 19 lbs in the first six weeks of this current weight loss session.

Myself, I love beer. I used to drink a 12 pack a day using it to chase my fifth of Wild Turkey 101 served mixed half and half with water on the rocks. MMMMMMMMM love that stuff to ( I had learned early on that drinking hard liquor such as whiskey, gin and vodka straight caused throat cancer, and did not want that. Have seen several people who I liked well die from that also) Once in a while I would take a plug out of a bottle that was being passed around to be social but I did not do it often.

I did not weight that much then, but back then I worked my adz off. Weighed around 180. And ate a lot of very hearty food. Needed it to do the hard construction work I did. That changed when I started doing almost all supervisory work rather than the physical end of it.

This last time here losing weight, the first thing I gave up was beer. Drinking a 12 pack a day along with my diet plan of as much of anything I wanted of anything I wanted. When I added the beer to the anything I wanted of anything I wanted my weight shot up. At 279 lbs, my doc said that was enough. My body had already told me that in several ways.

Now, I know it was not the alcohol in the beer that I gained weight on, no, it was the 110 calories of carbs that were in the cans besides the little bit of alcohol. Yeah, I was drinking near beer

Well, I love beer. And whiskey. And vodka. And rum. And wine. And scotch. And tequila. And burgandy. And gin. And women. Oops, how did they get in here? Well, no calories to them anyway Eat all ya want type of thing.

Anyway, now I am a teetotaler. ouch. Hate having to call myself that......... Been one for 21 years. And plan on staying that way. But I drank my share during my time of it.

No calories in beer ya say.......... Well, I was raised on a farm. Dad raised a few thousand acres of cotton, some grains, about 60 head of cattle, and depending on the year from a dozen to a hundred hogs. Mom had chickens, turkeys, ( a few thousand of them ) along with lessor amounts of ducks, guineas etc

When fattening out the hogs, dad fermented shorts, which is a smashed type of grain, placed it in fifty gallon drums and added water allowing to set and ferment for about six days or so. Several drums of feed going at a time. The hogs gobbled it up and got FAT and FATTER and FATTER until ready for market. Fermented grain is about the same thing as beer, except it has all of the grain still in it rather than liquefied carbs and alcohol.

Nobody will ever convince me that beer will not put fat on whatever is taking it in. As noted, my non alcoholic beer was 110 calories a can.

But if you are losing, then you are taking in fewer calories than required to maintain your weight, and that is what really matters.

Good luck for all of ya, hope ya lose all ya want

As for myself, though I love alcoholic beverages, especially beer and fine whiskeys, I have already drank all of my share along with a good portion of yours My liver and heart let me know that I was done with it.

B F R
Big Fat Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote