Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/178.4/165

Height: 5'10"

Default Optavia coach

I have a problem and Im hoping Ive found a solution in this forum. Ive read through a few posts and everyone seems really nice.

I just started Optavia. Im okay with Optavia. Im down 22 pounds since I started. But Im having second thoughts about my coach. She was recommended by a family member so I don't feel like I can ask for another coach. My problem is that we have absolutely nothing in common. Shes a lot younger has kids and is very religious. Im older and I have no kids.

She wants me to "share" all my issues on their FB group. Im sorry but Im just not comfortable posting all my private bizness on FB. I don't mind posting a recipe or sharing a cat video or two. Some of the things people are posting make me go WOW. Way too much TMI.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/130/130

Height: 5'3"

I wouldn't like that either. That's odd that she wants people to do that. Does she communicate privately with you or does she just want to "coach" on one big page.
Old Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #3  

Good questions. I had to think about that. When I think about it yes she does seem to want to coach on the page. She posts about all her peoples starting with their decision to join, then their first day and each pound they lose. Lots of Gifs etc. Also posts about their trials and victories and more Gifs etc.

She called me to join then I called her to give progress reports on my pounds lost. We have talked privately but I don't think we communicated much. I haven't called her in a while. She usually doesn't call me.

I just realized something. Shes liked a few posts I made about recipes but shes never posted anything about my status. No WOOHOO. No nothin. Now Im getting a complex. LOL
Old 01-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #4  

I wouldn't like that public posting stuff. It seems like she's being lazy in her coaching and just being a cheerleader to a mass group. Blech.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #5  

Me neither. Im an old Biddy too. In my oldness Ive learned its not wise to post your foibles in print. It can come back to haunt you later. LOL.

Im not sure if shes being lazy. I just think we are different. This group seems to be made up of younger extroverted oversharers. Im an introvert. I don't share well in public.

Last edited by Phaedra; 01-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #6  

Ah, the extrovert oversharer. That's not me, either.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/194/145

I'm on my 5th coach in 6 years. 3 were great, 3 were salespeople who didn't care 1 ioda about my progress. 2 great ones just lost interest in being coaches and Medifast in general (they loved it while they lost weight on it then lost interest, like most people would). 1 great one had personal issues and became unavailable. All that history is to prove I'm not crazy and flip flop coaches every other month.

First, the process of changing coaches is unbelievably easy. If you find a new coach, they can direct you on how to submit a change of coach form to Optavia. Or, I'm sure you could log into your account and find a link for the form.

Second, it's crazy to think every coach is right for every person. What you said here is perfectly fine to express to anyone, no filter or fibs needed. You don't enjoy the social media aspect of her coaching, don't get much out of it and cannot relate to other members in the group. That's not rude or mean and if you can't say that to your friend who referred you, well...

Third is just my encouragement to change coaches. When you find the right person, it's amazing the difference it makes. You'll feel newly inspired and refreshed. I love clicking with a new coach.

Just Do It.
dweedledee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #8  

I know. I need to change coaches. Im working up to it. I havent called her and she hasn't called me in a long while. Im a late night person and she is not. So I think I will use that as my excuse. Usually I would have no problem dumping her but this could involve explanations to a family member/inlaw not a friend. I hate drama. Sigh.

What was I thinking. I knew as soon as I signed up with this one that it was a bad idea. Even if things were different I still wouldn't be comfortable sharing things since she is a friend of a family member. I don't think it would be wise to share with her that the inlaws and the husband are some of main reason Ive gotten this way. Oh and that if things don't change they both will be ex.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #9  

Well I guess I wont be changing coaches. Evidently Optavia wants you have to have an actual new coach in mind to change. Oh and you have to know their coach number too. Since I don't know any other coaches or their numbers that kinda puts the kazoo on that.

I probably don't really even need a coach. Its just the principle of it all. Id like somebody who is actually doing the job to get the 15 percent commission on my orders. Retired Engineer here. Its my nature to pick things apart to figure how they work. Been doing a lot of research on my own. And a few emails to [email protected]. They get enough of my money. They can answer a few questions.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #10  

That's odd, Phaedra. I'd sure have questions as well. If a person is going to get that commission then they need to coach. Perhaps your current coach would be willing to do a private and personalized coaching system with you rather than her group thing.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #11  

Nope already tried that. Shes all talk and no listening. If you try to ask her about any of the mechanics of the plan she shuts you down and tells you to drink more water. So I started researching on my own. And emailing nutrition support. Im over it. Im moving on one way or the other.

Like when I told her my hours made my fuelings too far apart so I was hungry a lot of the time. Her solution drink more water. I researched and came up with my own. Split the L&G for more meals more often. I probably understand the mechanics of the plan better than her now.

I just ordered a new box. So I figure I have a month to find a new coach on my own. Im monitoring some other FB groups to see how those coaches interact.

Or I may quit and transition early. I will have to transition sooner or later anyway. According to the maintenance guide to maintain my goal weight of 150 pounds I should be eating 1500 calories. I plan on sticking with the 5 &1 plan of 800 to 1,000 calories per day and 80-100 grams of carbohydrates. The calorie deficit and the 6+ meals are why Im losing.

If I find I cant do it on my own I will contact Optavia direct. I found out that when you sign up direct they assign you a random coach. You never know I might get a good one this next time.

https://www.medifastmedia.com/med/do...ance_guide.pdf
Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #12  

I do wish the Optavia meals were available without a coach. After the coaching fiasco I had, I don't want another one.

I have to laugh each time I pronounce Optavia in my head. I study Latin and pronounce it as Opt-AY-vee-ah. The company pronounces it Opta-VEE-ah.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #13  

I agree. I found out it costs you $199.00 to become a coach. JMO. That's to prevent us malcontents from signing up to be a our own coach and keeping that commission for ourselves.

FYI. When I was rummaging around on FB I found FB groups that buy sell trade.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #14  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

It helps that I know my coach; she's a personal friend.

I asked her for minimal coaching and no public posts about my joining or my progress, and she has pretty much agreed to let me run my own program. She did tell me to drink a lot of water (of course) and to call her if I need anything. She sent me a ton of digital materials to read. Most of it is stuff I already know but I will read it anyway to get the hidden gems I need from it.

I did tell her that when I get close to goal she can post my before and after pics and I will tell my story.

I will probably need more help when I get to maintenance. I know WHAT to do, I just need help DOING IT.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote