Old 01-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Question How do you deal with socializing?

Hello all!

Last time I did Medifast, years ago, I didn't really have to deal with many dinner party temptations. I lived alone and would meet friends either out for coffee or at restaurants where I knew I could get a good Lean & Green meal.

I am now engaged to an Italian man who is wonderful and I have moved across the country from Massachusetts to California, to San Francisco. He has many friends who love to cook and have us over. I think this is great, but 3-4 times a month, we are invited over to homes with a lot of wine being poured and carbs being served.

So I first faced this on this past Saturday night and I completely blew it only 1 day after starting, when the host offered me a glass of Prosecco at arrival at 6 PM. I think that right there was the start of my downfall, ALCOHOL. After that, more Prosecco, with 2 and a half hours of occasional top-offs, but no food during that time. Uh oh. By the time dinner was served, with red wine, at 8:30 PM, I was starving and dug into the salad, roasted chicken, potatoes, bleu cheese on bread squares, and at the end, several hazelnut cookies with vanilla ice cream

Somehow after that big meal, I was glad to see on the scale the next morning that I didn't gain anything, but I definitely didn't lose anything either

I think my future plan should be:
1) Eat a MF meal just before leaving house
2) Don't drink ANY booze
3) Fill up on Lean & Green-friendly foods, like salad and chicken
4) Stay away from potatoes, cheeses, bread, and certainly cookies and ice cream!

One thing I worry about is how to manage friends' dinner parties and not come off like a high-maintenance pain in the butt. Do you ask about the menu before you accept? What if the main food was something like risotto; would you bring your own food?

Do you have any other battle-won tips you would like to share? Please do! Thank you!

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 01-18-2016 at 04:34 PM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #2  

Well from my experience this past year you are definitely in a tough spot. I think 4 item plan is a great goal. I can only share my experience.
I started MF at the end of March and last summer I was invited about 1-2 a month to the beach/lake for the weekend... Chips, bbq, cookies and beer. I had to make a decision right then and there what weekends I was going to go off plan and what weekends I was going to stick with it.
This can be done. It is so cliche how people say "If I can do it...." It is true. You have to ask yourself how bad do you want to lose 73 more lbs? Cut alcohol would be #1 no if ands or buts about it.
Your husband should be very supportive of you on your journey. This is temporary passing on the stuff that got you to where you currently are.
You should not be afraid to say no thank you. I did plenty of times and I still have the same friends who now applaud my drive.
No alcohol no carbs if you want this program to work. Fill up on L&G before you leave. I did that a couple of times.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Richy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #3  
Medifast Dieter

S/C/G: 237/.../169

Height: 5'1"

I think you've got a great plan. You will just need to stick to it. When eating away from home, I try to stay as low carb as I can. I try to stay away from the alcohol, breads and sweets. You can't control every situation, but you definitely can plan ahead for such events. Eat before arriving. Take something you know that is ON PLAN.

I know you can do it. Stay strong and good luck - we're all in this together.
ginamay28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #4  

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you both for your great tips, Richy37 and ginamay28!

Yeah, the huge one for me will be no alcohol. I know it's like a double-whammy; it drops blood sugar, making you hungrier and then also your inhibitions are reduced. Booooo!

Wine and carbs are pretty much what got me to where I was at a top weight of 275 -- only 25 pounds away from 300!

I'm already starting to edge closer to 251, which I haven't seen since June 2013

Can't wait to get under 250 either It will be a real push to me that this is really an effective tool and any "cheating" will be just me hurting myself.

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #5  

Berk, Are they good friends? If so, they wouldn't think you a pain in the butt to ask about the menu or pack your own food. I was reading last night about some items you can make with MF food, oatmeal muffins, candy, etc. I normally just have my MF 'straight' with no razz-a-ma-tazz- however, if you make up 'legal' cool MF foods that you wouldn't normally make and pack it with you. It could make it more appealing. Eat it from the plates- not a ziplock bag and celebrate YOU! I can tell you. I am at 237 now. When you go into the doctor and they weigh you on that old clunky scale and the big notch is not 250-but 200...it is an amazing feeling. I know you've heard- Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels- I might challenge that at times- but maybe that will help you. It is so hard when you are surrounded by all the foods - stay strong- you will be happier for it. Hugs, Nat
adiosfatclothes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #6  

Thumbs up Celebration day!

Adios, they are good friends of my fiancé, but new to me, so I am a bit worried about offending them... but you're right, they should be cool with me doing this

Thank you for your tips too! Totally agree on the eat on real plates thing! It really does make a difference!

I just got under 250 this morning! YES! I have not weighed 248 since June 2013! AWESOME! Can't wait to go on that Segway tour soon, hahaha! If I keep going on like this, I could go in 1-2 weeks, ha!

Congratulations on your weight loss as well!

Yes, the 250 weight on the doctor's scale, ugh! I would like to officially say Goodbye to that today...

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 01-21-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #7  

Berk, Good Luck this weekend. Just say No. No...thank you!
adiosfatclothes is offline   Reply With Quote