Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/198/140

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs down Feeling like quitting

Week 4 is almost done and there is no change- stuck at 18lbs for the month. This is very very challenging for me- I feel like I don't live a normal life as it is- staying away from lunchens eyc. and only the 1st 2 weeks showed any significant weight loss. Week one 10lbs, week 2 5lbs, week 3 2lbs and week 4 0. I am 100% on program, yet nothing else is happening! I have cried a lot over this- as I am working so hard, without any returns. I am just so depressed about the whole thing.
amazingplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #2  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

Height: 5'3"

18lbs in one month!! WHOAAAAAAAA!!! I'm really sorry for the way you're feeling. You need to reflect on the positive and stop letting the negative get you down. 18lbs in a month is a heck of an accomplishment!
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hold on a second... you've lost 18 lbs in one month! That's phenomenal!

A few things. The first week, it is very common to see a huge drop as our body loses water weight. The next few weeks our body adjusts to our program and new way of eating, so often the rate slows down a bit, but then we start to see an average of 1 - 2lbs per week from then on. One week of a 0lb weight loss signifies nothing. Who knows what will happen next week? Weight loss is not linear. You could lose .2 one week and 4.2 the following. You might even gain a pound or two and then drop that the next. This is the way weight loss goes. It's all part of the process. You are seeing returns. But, you have to be realistic about them. Acknowledge them! You've lost 18 lbs that you've worked hard to lose.

The fact that it seems you're feeling deprived, however, is a different issue. You have to ask yourself. Are you happy with your program? Is it something you can do for a long-term commitment? If not, then something needs to change.

Commit to one more week. Be mindful of how this program affects your life, and if it's something you can see doing for a very long time.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #4  
Downsizing Dee!

Well said Faerie! I completely agree - 18 pounds is fantastic! When I first started losing I lost about 20 pounds the first month and then only 8 the second month. It certainly does start to even out. There were weeks when I would gain 2 pounds and then the next week I would lose 5. The thing is, you have to stick with it to learn the fluctuations. Please don't throw in the towel, you're doing sooo great!
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

18lbs is incredible in one month!! Its taken me a year to lose 30lbs!!! Have you tried taking your measurements also? For those weeks the scales dont move, Im sure you will be losing inches also!! Dont give up, youve done so so so well!!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Hang in there Jana! You've done so well and worked so hard, it would be a shame to give up now! They do say that you can lose up to 20 pounds in the first month. You are only two pounds away and are probably way above the average weight loss.

Have you been working out? They say not to work out more than 45 min while on 5&1. If you're working out longer than that, it could stall your weight loss.

ALSO, are you measuring everything? I wasn't...I didn't lose anything for almost a whole week so I read some of the forums and one of the tips they gave was to actually measure out your food after you've cooked it. I had been measuring before, not realizing that the weights for the L&G were for cooked food. I started measuring after and realized I wasn't getting nearly enough of my Lean OR Green! I dropped almost three pounds in two days after that! Think about this...a Quarter Pounder hamburger patty at McDonald's is pretty darn big right? Well, that weight is measured before cooking, the patty is probably only actually around 3oz. or less after it's cooked. The lean amount for 85% lean hamburger is 5oz! That's almost TWO cooked quarter pound hamburger patties! Eyeballing the amounts definitely can be way off.

Also, if you're feeling deprived, find ways of making your favorite dishes for L&G. I LOVE spaghetti...I mean LOVE it. I found a way to make it with shiritaki noodles, ground beef, and homemade tomato sauce. Check out the recipe forums and sites out there too. You may find some great dishes you can make with the MF meals that will help you feel less deprived.

I'm also feeling the pain of not eating lunch with my friends anymore. Most restaurant chicken salads are actually pretty good for L&G if you have them leave off all the bad stuff. Even McDonald's salads aren't too bad. So, I've decided once a week I'm going have my L&G at lunch so I can eat out with my work buddies. Perhaps that's an option for you?

Stick it out another week. If you still aren't losing anything, contact Medifast Nutrition Support. They will probably have some answers for you and give you some pointers on how to get back on track.

Last edited by LiLi Gettin Thin; 04-17-2008 at 10:22 AM.
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

Don't give up! 18lbs in one month is incredible! Even if things have slowed down for now you are still 18lbs lighter than when you started right?

I totally agree with Faerie though, you might want to reevaluate your plan to see if there are some changes you can make that will make you happier with your menus. It makes dealing with scale fluctuations a lot easier if you are relaxed and happy with your meals - not dreading having to eat something you don't like just because it's on your meal plan. Take it from me, my plan doesn't even remotely resemble what it started out as in January

4 weeks is a scary time - seems like it's been FOR-EVERRR right? IMO, the hardest part of this whole journey is learning patience. I think a lot of us start out with grand plans and set goals that aren't terribly realistic. Then our bodies play tricks on us by making us think we can lose 18lbs (or even 10) every month. And we want that instant gratification - we want to wake up after a few weeks looking like we belong in a bowflex infomercial. Sadly, just doesn't happen that way. So take a deep breath, relax, and hang in there You can do this! We're here to help.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

18 pounds is fantastic. That is more than the average dieter loses in one month. You have made a great start.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #9  
Operator265

Please, please don't quit. Along with what everyone else has said I just wanted to add that it is a GOOD THINGfor your weight to stabilize for a while so that your body can reset it's scale. If your body doesn't get used to believing it is supposed to be lighter, when you are done you will shot right back up. You definitely don't want that.

Please keep your heart strong and believing in yourself. This to shall soon pass.

Last edited by Operator265; 04-18-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/198/140

Height: 5'7"

You guys are sooo wonderful! I am so thankful to have you guys. You all have said some things that really hit home for me- 1) I am 18lbs lighter... I haven't been that in years and years. 2) I need to measure my after cooked weight because I am betting I am not even getting close to the right amount, and 3) I have very unrealistic expectations- I have read all the medifast "success" stories and information and they lost HUGE numbers in what seems like no time at all. I am trying to focus on the positive
amazingplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #11  
Gettin' Veggie With It!

S/C/G: 02/16/11 196/184/125

Height: 5'8"

Jana,

When I first began MF I lost around the same amount of weight my first month. One thing that really put it in perspective for me was my family. My husband told me that I had lost a whole turkey! My kids walked around the grocery store with me and showed me how many pounds of butter I had lost, how many block of cheese, bags of sugar, etc. I cracked up. It really was funny, but even more so it was very enlightening and encouraging. Don't give up. Keep reminding yourself you have made wonderful progress and even if you only continue to lose a few pounds at a time, it is still a loss and you are not only losing weight but gaining your health. Keep up the good work!

Jen
abovethedin is offline   Reply With Quote