The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 01-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #16  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Haha I liked that too! My favorite though (from the book) is Progress not Perfection.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by helwa588 View Post
personally i think the book's main aim is to push the vegan lifestyle
The authors have been very upfront about promotion of the vegan lifestyle being the main aim of the book.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I don't agree with the book because it goes on and on about how terrible processed products are, but tons of their recommended menu items are full of processed junk (ie. veggie burgers, fake chicken). Also, there is insufficient protein and just a general lack of balance in the menus as well.

For example, "a sh&&&load of cantelope" is not a balanced breakfast. If you want to eat a balanced vegan breakfast, you should be eating a whole grain bread or cracker, naturally ground chickpea hummus and perhaps an avocado (carb/protein/healthy fat).

I love the list of organic foods in the back though It's not an ultimate solution, I think the menu is seriously flawed. Yes you will be SKINNY but you will not exactly be nourished.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

sacha,

I think they were trying to mix the ideas of eating raw foods (fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch) with foods that are familiar. I haven't read the book but I heard the cookbook they have is full of fake meats, cheeses, etc. I think fake meats and stuff are fine occasionally but telling people to become junk food vegans straight from the start, probably isn't the right approach.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #20  
too much of a good thing!

S/C/G: 209/ACK/less than200 initially

Height: 5' 5"

I borrowed this book from the library recently. I wasn't too impressed, the book camp stuff doesn't really cut it for me; I end up resenting the skinny you-know-whos. Maybe my lifelong prejudice against rail-thin models kicked in, but they seemed a bit too smug and uncaring about the issues that some of us are up against. I thought the potty-mouth bit was unnecessary too. Don't we have enough words in the English language to get our point across without resorting to the overworked f-word that really should be put out to pasture? The vegan thing bugged me too, made me feel like these chicks really had An Agenda. The animal cruelty issues distress me, but I don't think everyone needs to go vegetarian or vegan in response; compassion in agriculture and farming is what is needed, but that's a whole 'nother rant. I don't think I would like the authors if I met them IRL, and I prefer books by authors I feel more empathy with on some level or other, even if our choices and preferences in life are very different.

PS But the "soda is liquid Satan" is a good line, I have to admit!
catsnhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #21  
Progress not perfection

For me, never thinking I possibly could be vegan-- knowing there was so many substitutes for the things I thought I loved was what made me know, I could do this. I can be vegan it's not that big of a step, I think they realized in peoples head going vegan seems so drastic but really it isn't so they want to show you the fun things first, then once you are comfortably vegan you can start learning more foods and about your diet.

I personally have been vegan since the day I read this book, and I loved that they made it seem so easy (because it really is) now I once in awhile have something from the cook book, but usually foolow a very healthy vegan diet. (McDougall)
Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 265/242/135

Height: 5'7"

one of the claims the book makes is that you will look better.
i have done the vegan thing on and off and i do notice a difference in how i look. when im eating mostly fruits and vegetables i look healthier and younger. my skin looks more supple. when im eating junk, i look like a hag. lol.
ever notice that people who smoke and/or drink a lot look old before their time? im convinced what what you put inside you is going to show in your face.
i dont know that you would have to be vegan to see the difference, but increased fresh produce has an effect.
kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #23  
Progress not perfection

yes i totally see a difference in my appearence!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I read the link and while I had shunned the book from early reviews and threads, I have to say, as the kidney girl on this site, I totally agree with what she writes about soda doing to your bones. The part 2 that she didn't get into is that all the calcium leached from your bones gets dumped into your kidneys to be processed out of your body and if there's enough in there, you get a free gift of calcium-based kidney stones! So reading that right there gives me some fondness of the book and what else it has to say. Will have to check it out now.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #25  
*~Beautiful Hope~*

S/C/G: HW: ~200 SW: 170's/150's/115

Height: 5'6"

I am reading this book right now based on the feedback from this thread. Thanks for recommending it!
EsperanzaBella82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 191/183/139

Height: 5'5"

I so want to read this!
MiaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #27  
angelmom313

I have no desire to be a vegan...I saw the book at the bookstore and flipped through it and don't think I (personally) would waste my time on it.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #28  
sugar is the devil

There's a girl in my nursing class who swears by this book. She is a vegetarian and I am not.... although I think about reading it just to get some nutritional information out of it (and for the fun read). I have no intention of becoming veggie/vegan but, hey, reading it won't hurt me!

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 03-30-2009 at 07:48 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 196/190/140

Height: 5'9

Talking

I love this book.... but its more of a book that reveals whats going on in the food industry and the contamination we ingest all the time and why you should eat more naturally... like i know folks love those 100 calorie pack stuff.. but do you realize whats in it.. and what those ingredients can do to you years later...

and the title and vulgar language is just for you to pick up the book and be interested...lol
ishatorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #30  
sugar is the devil

Ohh.. I got tempted and went out and bought "Skinny *****". I've read half so far and I'm reading the rest at work tonight. I don't think I can give up my carnivorous/dairy eating ways, but I can listen to the other stuff. I personally like the style of writing as it catches my attention. It can be insulting to people who do not use inappropriate language... but since I use that language constantly , I don't mind it.

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 04-18-2009 at 07:09 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote