Maintainer Introductions our stories and photos

Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #1  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Default New maintainer

Howdy--I've posted in the Living Maintenance forum a few times, but I have now officially earned my place here. As of today, I have lost 115 pounds and have reached my goal of 145.

I plan to make a longer post with photos in the main Goal thread later today, but briefly: I'm 49 years old with PCOS. I've always been chubby. The lowest weight I ever had since childhood was 134 at the age of 18, but I had terrible eating habits so I started gaining again almost immediately.

I was in the US military from 1982 to 1986. I had thought that it would be good incentive to keep the weight off, but it turned out that the weight limit (about 147 or 148) was a constant source of stress that led me to flirt with disordered eating. When I got out of the military, I was so happy not to have a weight limit anymore that I gained 70 pounds in about a year!

In 1989, I dieted from 225 to 173, but it didn't take me long to gain that back with interest. I yo-yo dieted my way up to 260 by the end of 2008.

On December 29, 2008, against all logic and experience, I decided that I Was Ready. I took my knowledge and experience about what worked and didn't work for me and started calorie counting. I lost 77 pounds last year and 38 this year. The weird thing has been how stressful and traumatic it *hasn't* been for me to lose weight this time. I understand that maintenance has its own set of challenges, but I think I'm ready. I have already found the information and role models in this forum to be invaluable.

See you around!
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #2  
Meg

Welcome Oboe! What a great and inspirational story! And how cool that you're going to start your 50s in such wonderful shape!

Please keep posting -- we're all looking forward to getting to know you better. And the more, the merrier on this maintenance path!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #3  
Workin' It

Hi Oboe! Welcome!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248/116/116

Height: 5.6'

Default me too

Your history sounds so much like mine. I struggled for so many years back and forth with my weight. Losing and gaining again. Thats why I'm so afraid to eat normal food again. BTW, I'm in my mid 50's and was happy to see others close to my age. Good luck to you.
lulubella is offline   Reply With Quote