Old 09-08-2001, 05:10 PM   #1  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Default September S-u-c-c-e-s-s Challenge

I know that Sept is already started but I felt that this is needed immediately and I cannot wait till next month to start. The colder weather is coming soon and we need to get back on tract.

S-simply
U-using
C-carb
C-control
E-every
S-single
S-serving

Due to the overwhelming response to the challenges lately it is time to bring it one step further, to post a challenge that really challenges us. Simple but through. It is to combine our diet, exercise, and most important our self. You are invited to do any of it or all of it.

GOALS
First lets examine our goals. Many post our goals frequently Goals are important as they are our dreams, and dreams provide us with a sense of who we are and who we want to be. Without dreams we do not have a sense of direction, not the determination of how to get there.

To achieve our dreams we need to work, and make changes in our life. Lets make the needed changes to achieve our goals. Lets make those dreams come true.

Dare to dream and join in the SUCCESS CHALLENGE.

We are in for a rocky trip. It will not be easy, we will need each other for the support, and to help pick us up when we start to fall, but we are a team.

DIET

First and foremost is our diet. We all are on different diets so I will have to be brief on this, Go back and reread your book, which will help familiarize yourself with your diets particulars. You need to follow your plan, as your body requires. The appropriate amount of protein, and the amount of carbs. They are the plan for a reason and they work. Lets not tweak our program. For the rest of the month follow your plan to the letter. If you have not lost weight for a while then you are probably not following it exactly. Journal and fine out where you are going wrong, use diet logs such as www.dietwatch.com or www.fitday.com. Go back to the beginning of your diet and restart induction, or intervention.

Those doing CAD?CALP check your reward meal are you stuffing your face with bad carbs?? Bad fats??? Are you balancing your reward meal? Are you within your hour? Are your other meals properly balanced?

Atkins and PP Are you following your carb limit or are you guestimating Start counting to be sure you are OP and not going over.

We follow low carb for a reason. Our body’s response to the insulin that is released. Let us get control of that back. JOURNAL!! Check your daily calories. They should be between 1200 and 1800 cals depending on your body size. Stay within those limits. Even if you are low carbing. You cannot lose weight if you are not taking in fewer calories that you are burning. If you are high then check the areas that you are taking in too many calories and reduce them. Are you eating lots of nuts? Cheese? What can you substitute? You will find that this will best your weight loss.

If you fall off plan then do not wait till the nest day get back on the next meals. Do damage control immediately. Get back OP right away it is easier than waiting for the next day.

WATER

Water during at least 1 oz. for every 2 lbs. So if you weigh 200 you should drink 100 oz daily and 250= 125 oz daily

Follow this for the rest of the month and that should get you back OP immediatly and start back on the weight loss trail. And soon you will be that much closer to your goal.

EXERCISE

The crux of all shape up programs. If you increase your activities just a little bit then you can lose weight, your metabolism increases, your energy levels, your skin tone improves. It does take over 6 weeks to create a new habit, so be diligent. We want to make good changes in our lifestyle.

So let us challenge our selves to exercise 5 days a week. Increase your activity. Walk, lift soup cans, go up and down the stairs, stand and sit from your chair. I do not care what it is along as you increase your activity level to more than you are doing now. For those newly beginning an exercise program, do NOT OVER do it. That leads to strain and burnout. Start slow and increase by 5 min weekly. Start with 5 min or 10 or where every you are. The point is to exercise.

DO NOT judge your self by what others are doing, this is your challenge and you are challenging yourself. Do what your body recommends,

For those already doings some exercise program. Push your self to the limits and then push harder, that is what will build muscle and get the fat burning machine reved up. Now go out and exercise.

SELF PAMPERING

Oh yes this is part of our challenge. And the most important part. We are a whole person not a piece of fat than needs to be reduced. We need to care and love our selves. The challenge is simple but needed. Everyday in your journal calendar or even on scrap paper write one thing positive about your self. And at the end of the month go back and read all the things. It can be small things like I did not snack today or I did not cry, I did not cringe when I looked in the mirror, to I really tried hard when I exercises, I looked great in the outfit that I tried on in the store (and use that as your reward for the wonderful weight loss that you have done for the month). Yes I did say reward. You at the end of the month will reward your self for the hard work that you have done. You will get something that you have always wanted. New shoes, fingernails, hair color, haircut, nightie :blush: anything that you can think of to reward you for all your hard work. (Not food though)

That is enough for this Challenge. We hope that you have a great time with it, and like we said you can do any or all of it.

Come on, Girls, let's get out there and fight this fat!

Janice and Sue

We succeed not because we are perfect but because we persevere.

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 09-08-2001 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2001, 05:33 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Wow! Stand Back! Chicks on the Warpath!j

Looks great to me!
I am in the Halloween Challenge and the Christmas Challenge but this shorter term one will motivate me more.
I particularly like the exercise part about not comparing yourself to others. I have been feeling a bit poorly lately and kicking my butt that I don't walk as much as my sister (5'3" and 150 pounds).
Gonna stop doing that!
209 this morning
206/5 September 30
Am posting the SUCCESS theme on my fridge.
Old 09-08-2001, 05:56 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

Ruth this is to help us get to the goals of our Halloween and Christmas goals. (did we post a Christmas challenge???)
Old 09-08-2001, 08:35 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Nope. We (LC Chickies) just have a Hallowe'en and September challenge. The Christmas one is for another Board.
(Forgive me but I do post elsewhere! LOL!)
Old 09-08-2001, 10:22 PM   #5  
Slimwithin

Wow, you really put your all into that challenge, Nasus. Much appreciated and has given me even more inspiration. My biggest problem isn't staying OP, it's moving my big butt off the chair. This will really help me.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:13 AM   #6  

I have to say this is truly inspirational. I think this is all great, accountability is the one thing we all need. My dh keeps me in line and I keep him in line. Thanks for all the reminders!
Old 09-09-2001, 10:06 AM   #7  

Wow, Janice and Sue! You guys are amazing!

Thank you so much for your hard work! I wonder who came up with the S-U-C-C-E-S-S cheer? Janice, was that you? Your WELCOME one was great- don't loose it!

Sue, a great idea, thanks again to both of you!

Our Angels!

dottie
Old 09-09-2001, 02:35 PM   #8  

Default COUNT ME IN

VERY WELL WRITTEN GALS

I am printing it out and posting it in kitchen.....what an Inspiration and motivation to continue onward with our lowcarb lifestyle....

count me in for sept. every day on program is another day toward our goal.....
Old 09-09-2001, 05:12 PM   #9  
Senior Chicky

Smile IS EVERYBODY READY ????

CAUSE WE WILL HAVE REAL SUCCESS STORIES HERE !!!

Thanks Sue for posting this and for all the work you've done! As much as I would love to take credit for the S-U-C-C-E-S-S meaning, that full glory goes to Sue! (Gee, maybe I'm rubbing off on her! lol)

Sue and I have been doing a bit of brainstorming "behind the scenes". Everyone seems so pumped up for the Halloween Challenge, the Excercise Challenge, Water Goals that we thought it would be great the find a way to pull all of those challenges together for short term S-U-C-C-E-S-S with our longer term goal in sight.

And we all are going to be S-U-C-C-E-S-S ful !!!!!

We should definately reward ourselves for our accomplishments. But it does not have to be with food. Why not put a dollar in a jar for every OP day and treat yourself to a pedicure or a new (and smaller size) blouse that you've been wanting? A dollar a day! Aren't you worth that? I KNOW I AM !! By being OP you would save that much from not buying that soda, or Subway!

WE ARE IMPORTANT AND MUST REMEMBER THAT !!!

We are caretakers to others, our husbands, children, parents, friends, jobs and much too often lose sight of OUR importance. And what happens? We have a tendency to lose sight our OUR goals and desires. Enter frustration and stress eating.

LET'S TAKE CONTROL AND WE WILL BE S-U-C-C-E-S-S ful

MY GOAL

Honesty about my weight issues. Physical and emotional. Yes, I want to lose weight. But more importantly, to feel good about myself again. I may never be a size 8 again and that is okay. I want to look in the mirror and say, "Hey, not too bad". I want to have a bounce in my step and not hide when the camera comes out. I know that my husband loves me but I want to feel that he is proud to be seen with me. I've never admitted that before.
That is my goal, my dream. Whether it be 10 or 20 lbs gone forever....I want to feel good.

DIET OR WOE

Understand my program and have it work for me. In other words, stop working IT! Be aware that Happy Meals must still include balance! I can't have two helpings of rice and no protein! I know without a doubt what I am doing wrong...IT IS UP TO ME TO FIX IT. If I am to be S-U-C-C-E-S-S ful, I HAVE TO CORRECT MY PROBLEMS.

WATER

I am fortunate that I have no problem drinking water. This is something I had to start many years ago during pregnancy. BUT, to help me monitor it I'm going to use Ruth's deal. For every glass of water I drink, I'm putting a penney in a cup. At the end of the day, it'll speak for itself if I've been S-U-C-C-E-S-S ful in reaching my goal!

EXERCISE

This is a tuff one for me! I have a gym membership and three exercise tapes! Why am I NOT DOING IT CONSISTENTLY? I know that exercise helps to burn those calores, so, I will find a way to remove the obstacles that offer me excuses NOT to do at least 15 minutes a day!

SELF PAMPERING

Believe it or not, this is another tuffy for me. I never feel that I am worthy of anything EXTRA in my life. I always tell myself that God has Blessed me with healthy children and a hard working husband that my tendency is to always reward them. I'M GOING TO CHANGE THAT !!! Yes, I do manicures, WHY? Cause DH likes it!! SO, I am going to reward myself with something that I WANT !! BECAUSE I AM WORTH IT!!

One of the greatest things that I think Sue posted was this statement....

DO NOT JUDGE YOURSELF BY WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING. THIS IS YOUR CHALLENGE AND YOU ARE CHALLENGING YOURSELF. DO WHAT YOUR BODY RECOMMENDS. I don't want any of us to get discouraged that we are not accomplishing what others may be. Because OUR DAY WILL COME! We are here to encourage and applaud each other forward towards our S-U-C-C-E-S-S !!

So, what are YOUR goals ?

WE ARE GOING TO A BE S-U-C-C-E-S-S !!
Old 09-09-2001, 07:47 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

Default WHOOO HOOOO

Janice I could not have said it better with posting your goals for the challenge. Wonderful!!!

C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E Goals

To get to a size 14. That is a biggie for me andy my self image. I have this gut that i am afraid to wear a bathing suit, my pants do not fit around it, it bulges out and I am very ashamed to undress with it. my goal is to reduce that so I can feel more comfortable with my self. I have come a long way with comfortable with my self but still have many unresolved problems and that is my goal to work my self to that goal. MY DREAM. I too want to have my husband proud to be with me and proud to have me by his side!

DIET NEXT!!!

I am good at tweaking my progam saying i exercised really good so i can have a few more carbs than i am supposed to. and that is why i have not been as successful as i should be. i also do not journal my foods. so i really do not know what my carb count really is I will start to do that this week! I also have the tendancy to eat more fat than i should raising my cal count to high for my body so i stall easy. i will be watching that with the food counts.

WATER

I am good at the water except on the weekends. so i will watch that. i will do the penny thing and see if that helps.

EXERCISE

As many know that i have been using a trainer for the last month and half. I will say that i finally am at the point that i really want to exercise. i just need to push harder when i am alone. I will do that. I also signed up for bellydancing clas startin tomorow night. so that should help with the tummy hanging low!!!

Pampering OH DEAR!!

I had to add that one in but I am so bad with that. I am especially bad now so i can not afford to spend anythin on my self till i find a new job. so i will have to do the one thing i hate most, pat my self on the back and start writing good things about my self and my accomplishments. UGH i would rather go out and buy a new outfit. so that is my personal challenge.

And yes Janice you did help the inspiration and determination is what got this going. (I have to give credit though for the basis of the detailed chalenge to boot camp at PP board.) and the S-U-C-C-E-S-S was from a friend I am ot that creative. So do not give me more credit than i deserve.

This is to help us get to goal. I know we can and it will be a long road with may stumbles, we can and will do it. we are here for eachother. and like stated do what ever part of the challenge that you can and feel that you are up to. I will start a weekly progress report or should it be daily like

SEPT10 C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E

OR

SEPT 10-16 C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E

This way we can post our progress to goal and write daily exercise and foods and water so we can combine the threads in one. What do you think? I will not get to the boards till late tomorow so if some one can start the thread in what ever way they feel proper. thanks.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:08 PM   #11  

COUNT ME IN TOO!

MY GOAL

To be proud of myself and to have my family proud of me. To love myself, and not to hate myself when I am weak. I want the energy to be a great mom, wife, housekeeper, athlete, gardener, crafter, friend, neighbor, and daughter. I want to walk by a mirror and look at myself and not cover my eyes or look away. I want to be healthy and active. Most of all fate brought me my lovely gifts from God (my Don and Darren) a little later in life than I would have preferred (I was 35 when I had Don, my first). I would love to be there for them when they are getting married and starting families, I want to enjoy being a grandmother.

MY DIET

I will stick to my WOE without tweaking. I feel my past failures have been due to too much tweaking. I will avoid diet colas, only using them in the evening if at all. I find that a diet coke at lunch may trigger evening carb cravings. I will watch my calories. I will reread my Atkins book. I will continue to drink at least 120 oz of water. I will not give up my coffee and cream unless I am faced with a stall. I must have one vise in my life!

EXERCISE

I will walk Monday through Friday with my co-workers for 30 minutes. I will exercise at the Y Monday’s at lunch, Wednesday’s when the boys are at tennis lessons, and Saturday morning with my neighbor.

ATTITUDE

This is my area of greatest downfall. I know that 90% of my success with LC is based on attitude. I need to keep focused on my WOE and try not to let life stress me out too much. I have let my health be effected by the stress I am having at work. I also stress out a lot about the condition of our home, yes I have 2 young boys, but my home is an embarrassment. I need to stick with a schedule and clean it more often. A combination of my work schedule, after school activities, and my laziness has created this problem. At this point I know I cannot quit work, and it is important to me to keep the boys active in things that they enjoy, the only item I have control of at this moment is my laziness.

If I can maintain a synergy between diet, exercise, and attitude, I know I can be a…

S-U-C-C-E-S-S !!!!!!!!

Thanks Susan and Janice, you are
'S

Thanks for starting a very motivational thread!

LUV you guys,

jenny
Old 09-10-2001, 01:23 PM   #12  
Big Loser

Default Here I go!

GOALS
My first goal is to feel better! TO sleep better! Not to be winded when I climb the stairs, or the hill from the mailbox. My first goal is to reach 200. I am 235 right now, I am 6'2" so this is not a stretch.

DIET

To stick with it and journal everything! To use the fitday.com calculator to calculate my carb intake. To eat more vegetables and keep my hands off the kids macaroni and cheese!

WATER

Water is an easy one for me, I love it & drink tons of it!!!

EXERCISE

I WILL exercise Monday thru Friday before work! I will walk 3 days per week and do strength training the other 2.

SELF PAMPERING

This is a tough one! I have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and I work full time. I never seem to have time for anything, let alone myself. I will make a concious effort to sit in my jacuzzi and read a book 3 nights a week.

Sleep

I do not get enough of this. I am going to go to bed earlier!

Thanks to you for posting this challenge! It really makes you think!
Old 09-11-2001, 06:26 AM   #13  
Work in Progress

Well, Sue and Janice I must say that I am intrigued. You both have done alot of work on this and should be commended and published!!!! This is cool .

I have found on my journey that while I am physically overweight. Most of my battle is mental. It has taken alot of soul searching and self introspection. which isn't always easy or pleasant. Stress? eat. Angry??? eat. Need to celebrate??? eat. Lonely??? eat. Depressed??? Eat. Anyway....

Goal: To work on maintaining a positive attitude. Avoid negativity. I work in a prison system as a counselor. This is a challenge every day. I used to cope by eating carbs. I need to nourish myself and replace teh positive attitude as it is depleted by my work.

Diet/ Woe

I need to avoid being complacent about my woe. To re-focus on being aware of carb values, portion control. Avoid . the trap of "Oh, just a little won't hurt" trap

Exercise

I am always amazed that when I read about people who have lost alot of weight, how much time they devote to maintaining this. I need to devote to myself a good amount of time getting the weight off. I would like to sit down and scheule and plan my 6 day a week routine. seeking balance and having it make sence

Self Pampering

I need to celebrate and recognize my making my first milestone last week. 25#+ gone. I need to celebrate that and be OK w/ it

Thank you Sue and Janice
Old 09-11-2001, 04:32 PM   #14  
gbo

I know what it is to say "just a bite or two won't hurt".......well it does. I have been playing that mind game since I was in my twenties and I am fourty seven now. My Mom alway's said you are just cheating yourself.... that didn't make much of an impression but it should have. I hate being deprived and that is what I felt. Everyone else can eat the things they like , it is so unfair. I love junk..... what I didn't realize was I loved junk more than I loved me. I am deprived... by my addiction to food. Deprive of the joy of going on a water slide, deprived of dressing the way I want to, deprived of feeling good about myself, deprived of doing and being the person I really am. Deprived of easy movement , deprived of life ........by my own actions and own attitudes. I want to be free to enjoy life to the fullest. To enjoy looking at myself in the mirror. To delight in being with others and feeling good about my self in a crowd. To take part in life not just to spend life observing others living life freely. It is the mind set you have to conquer. I will overcome the habits that took a full life away from me.
Old 09-11-2001, 05:07 PM   #15  
Trying to find my way.

gbo{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}} you certainly deserve one. we are here to help you achieve your dream. jump in and go for the gold!!!!!