Old 08-04-2001, 12:24 PM   #1  

Wink help from anyone

Hello everyone........

I am new to this website, as well as low carb. I started the Atkins diet on 7/30/01.......5 days ago. I have done exceedingly well following the diet and I'm sure I have not exceeded 10 gms. of carbs most days, yet the scale has hardly budged. I'm going to stick out the 14 day induction period to see what happens. I'm sure I need to exercise more than I am, which I plan to increase. I am feeling really frustrated though, as I had invisioned that I would have lost more weight by now. I realize this is a short period of time, but after reading Dr. Atkin's book, it seemed the pounds would melt faster. My appetite has already decreased a fair amount, so I have not been eating breakfast. Is this a problem? Dr. Atkins said not to eat if you're not hungry, so I'm assuming that this is all right. I feel like I'm drinking a reasonable amount of water. Please help with any tips you might have or any words of encouragement. It is upsetting to watch the scale not move........thank you!!
Old 08-04-2001, 04:21 PM   #2  

Exclamation to much clogging foods

Hi,
I'm new to the board as well so welcome! I know a 2 friends that have tried the diet. Neither of them have succeded I have never tried it myself though. A diet I know that works great and is really easy is just to cut out bread and sugars. I did it for 2 weeks and lost 10 pounds without excersize. Ive been really stressed and busy and got off the diet ad went back to my horrible habits but I'm starting it again today! Maybe by the time you read this the atkins will have started working for you! If not and youre interesting in what I'm doing let me know and I can tell you more about it!
untill then
GOODLUCK!
Old 08-05-2001, 07:26 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi there, you two. Lots of free advice on this forum.
Atkins does work but is not for everyone. Several people on this board have lost many pounds.

The fast weight loss at first is true for some people - this diet is a diuretic and water disappears fast for some people. I was on it years ago and lost about 40 pounds but it does not work that way for me now (I'm 62). So age is a factor. Amount of weight you need to lose is also part of the equation - faster loss if you have a large amount to lose - think percentages.

Pooky2, you should be eating 20 carbs on induction and also drinking a LOT of water. Divide your current weight by 2 and that will be the minimum number of ounces. Five days on Induction frequently does not show a loss - give it the full two weeks before you get discouraged.

Fiongalla, sounds like you have found the solution for you. I cut carbs too but have not been very "good" the past month or so. Keep on posting and let us know how things go.

I hope you two will join the rest of us in the daily where we share some of the non-diet events in our lives.

See you lighter.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:02 PM   #4  
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!

I am on Atkins. I am not an expert by anymeans...but allow me to share some information since you asked for help.

I am 43 and have been fighting a weight problem for 1/2 of my life. I have been on many differenct diets and had my share of failures and successes. ATKINS IS WORKING FOR ME.

From what I see from your post.......(and again, I am sharing my opinion, I am not an expert....) you need to change a few things to get the success you crave.

First of all...YOU MUST EAT BREAKFAST! I eat 2 scambled egg and 3 slices of bacon along with 2 cups of decaf coffee or decaf tea every morning. (Regardless of if I am hungry or not...I know my body needs fuel.)

Also, I drink TONS of water. I have had no liquids of any type except for what I mentioned above and some water with a little lemon. You gotta flush the FAT out!!!

YOU MUST EXERCISE. There can be no excuses. I am walking 3 miles a day...rain...or 95 degrees outside...I move my butt everyday!!!

You need to eat nearly 20 grams of carbs as ruth suggested. They are easy to get with good veggies and other sensible choices.

For lunch I have a salad with protein such as: cheese, tuna, steak, bacon, hard boiled eggs, etc. (The same goes for diner.) When I want a snack I grab cut up green peppers, celery, cheese squares, a few olives, a 1/4 cup if peanuts, etc. Have snacks ready in case of munchy attacks!

Most important....you will see inches lost at times when the scale will not budge. I know. I will share with you exactly how I have done in the weeks I have been on the program. 5 days is not giving yourself a chance yet. I have been on the program 7 weeks and have lost 21 pounds. My dad lost 20 in 6 weeks and my sister 12 in 3 weeks. (They seems to have lost alot fast because both are "social drinkers" and think cutting out the beer/wine made a big difference right away...I agree)

Anyway: I have lost 21 in about 8 weeks. I am 5'9" and a size 20. I need to lose about 80 more pounds to get to goal. For 3 weeks in a row I lost only 1 pound and felt discouraged, but held the one pound weights I carry in my hand when I walk and realized just how heavy a pound is. This week, it jumped to 3 pounds! You have to give your body a chance. It will not happen over night, but it will happen.

Please read the SUPPORT threads on this low carb site. There are 3 of them since they kept getting so long. There is lots of good advice there and support gallore! We welcome new people to go on the weight loss journey with us.

I have never felt better than I have these past couple months. I can fit into clothes that have been shoved in the back of the closet for way too long. 21 pounds in not a ton, but again, inches are lost and you can not believe it! I also have not had any cravings which I am most thankful for. (Check out the type of tea I drink on the Suport 3 thread...it must help!)

Again, give yourself a chance and try to follow the tips I gave you. If you see that this program works for you after giving it a chance GREAT! If it does not work for you...don't give up on trying to lose weight...perhaps something else will do the trick......just keep trying.

I do not know how much you need to lose, but I personally think that if you follow a few simple "tweeks" in what you are doing now......the pounds wil start to melt off.

Please keep posting.........and come to the Support #3 thread (and read the others too!) where you will get the encouragement we all need.

I care....because I am there....we all are.

NOBODY WANTS TO BE FAT!

BEST OF LUCK!

Old 08-08-2001, 12:42 PM   #5  

Wink thanks everyone!

I certainly appreciate all your words and support. I've now been on Atkins almost 10 days.....sticking faithfully to the diet, and in fact have GAINED weight!! I will try your input....increase exercise, water and I'll begin eating breakfast again to see if this helps. I was just so psyched to start this diet as I felt it was sort of my last chance to lose weight without starving. Like many of you, I have been overweight all my life......I really have no memory of not being fat. I'm around 5'8" and need to lose around 120 lbs. I know this weight will not fall off overnight since it's taken awhile to get this way. I plan to stick with Atkins awhile longer to see if your suggestions help me. Gee, it is frustrating though, to stick with this and not ''feel/see'' results. Maybe? inches are coming off, although my clothes don't feel differently. Anyway, I'm not going to quit fighting the fight, but I may have to consider trying something different! Thanks again for your help all.

Robin
Old 08-08-2001, 12:52 PM   #6  

Pooky2!

Hi and welcome to the low carb board! You have gotten some excellent advice so far.

Would you consider posting some menus so that we could take a look at it and maybe give you more advice?

peach
Old 08-08-2001, 04:18 PM   #7  

Question Newbie

Hi all.
I've been browsing the 3FC site trying to decide where I fit in. Hopefully this will be my home.
I'm 5'5 size16-18 and 206. I've gained the last 15 lbs since I opened a business 3 mos. ago with my sister. The kicker is, our business is a fitness and wt. loss center for women. Yep, that's true.......all of the women have been losing and I'm so supportive and happy for them, but I keep getting fatter!!!
I learned sooo much during the training for our opening and I thought it all made perfect sense. I was to eat 6 small meals a day and cut wy down on carbs. (20 for the first 2 weeks and then 40 there-affter) Drink lots of water and eat only lean meats and fish. Sounded great. Started out great too. 5 lbs. first week. But then things got out of control and soon I was eating 6 meals a day WITH carbs!
Last week (and those 15 lbs later) I decided to do what I know and just cut out the junk food. I'm still having problems though. I'm just soo depressed. I don't even want to go into the club (although I have to) My sister has even lost weight! (And she really doesn't need to!! )
Please, someone help me........
Old 08-08-2001, 04:53 PM   #8  

Default Hey Mum2five!

Welcome!

Let me see if I got this right...You've got 5 kids and have opened up a new business where you take care of everyone else's needs, supporting them, encouraging and all that good stuff. They are
losing weight and you seem to be finding what they
have lost. Do I have that right?

WELL! MUM...come right in and sit down and put your feet up! Here! have a nice cool glass of water (although I am tempted to offer you something stronger!) Because...Mum...it is time to take care of YOU! You are worth it and we will help you whatever way we can. Sounds like a lot of
stress to me and this place is a great place to relieve that stress!!!! Make sure you post on the daily thread where we just sort of yack over the fence.

Ask tons of questions Mum and post often. I think one of the best things that you can do is to post often because that keeps low carbing in your head and if it is in your head I think you do better. PLUS it gives us a chance to get to know you better.

hang in there Mum2five!

peach
Old 08-09-2001, 06:32 PM   #9  

Thanks Peach!
Your post brought tears to my eyes. (Not really much of a feat I guess since I just got back from the Dr. bawling my eyes out!)
I would post everyday, but I don't know what a "thread" is!! I almost didn't even find THIS place again! LOL
You know, I DO believe in a low carb way of eating and I believe this is the right place. Mentally and emotionally though, I've gotta be better. My Dr. put me on Wellbutrin today. (I've struggled with depression for years) He said craving carbs has been linked as a symptom of depression. He said it sometimes helps ease cravings too. I've NEVER been a fan of meds to lose wt. (Healthy eating and diet is the best/safest/longest lasting way) but if I can get something to just get me started...let me see some kind of accomplishment.....I think I can keep it going on my own.
BTW...I'm up to 208 now......UGH!
Please explain what you mean by "thread", I'd like to use this site (and you all! )
Thanks
Old 08-09-2001, 10:31 PM   #10  
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!

I posted here earlier about my being on Atkins (low carb eating.) I think is is the answer to your prayers...but you have to be ready. Please visit this site often and post.

Threads are when you start a subject.

Posts are when you reply to a subject.

Please visit us on Low Carb Support #4.

I want to give you one sentence of advice that speaks volumes about what may be keeping you from the success you DESERVE.....

JUST BECAUSE YOU PUT OTHERS FIRST....DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO PUT YOURSELF LAST!!!

Whatever you do ...do not give up! You know what to do to be successful,,,,,,,DO IT! We are all in the same boat and are here for you! Please do it for yourself! Every day wasted is another day of being FAT! DO IT, GIRL!!!
Old 08-10-2001, 05:20 PM   #11  

Smile Hey Mum!!!!

Good For YOU getting that prescription from your Doctor!!!!

You are well on your way and how smart of you to take control of your life instead of letting life ride over you. I think that there is a reason that Wellbutrin and low carb work very well together...I know it has to do with your seratonin levels but I don't know how to explain it. I will post a seperate thread calling on the "smart chicks" around here. Maybe Dottie or Giggles or even my sister Jiff will see it!

As far as the med route goes. Well Mum, I am currently on an appetite suppresant prescribed by my doctor. Although it does not do the work for me and is not a magic pill it has taken away the awful constant thoughts about food and I do not binge anymore...a big deal for me. So, you do what you need to do when you need to do it!

You start a new thread by hitting the start a new thread or new topic that is up in the right hand corner. So far you have been hitting the add a reply button. And that is ok too.

As far as tears in your eyes...wait till I start talking about baseball....that all just breaks 'em up around here and they want to pitch me right out of the park!

But seriously (gee...baseball is serious stuff RIGHT Debkay????) When I first came on here I was overwhelmed by the kindness that is found here and often puddled up too. This is a great place Mum...Welcome home!

peach
Old 08-10-2001, 09:29 PM   #12  

Talking Trying plan B

Hi all..........

Thougt I'd give a brief update on my next move. I have opted to stop the Atkins diet for now. My frustration level continued to grow each day as I would faithfully stick to the diet, yet not see the scale move at all!!!!!!!!!! I nearly completed the induction phase of the diet and when I weighed myself this a.m, I weighed exactly as I did nearly 2 weeks ago! I certainly didn't expect to lose mega pounds during this time, but I did expect the scale to move a bit towards to down side! Maybe? this diet isn't meant for me as it is for so many others. Sheesh, even my dad has lost 30 lbs. on Atkins. I must have some misfit body!

In addition, I have type 2 diabetes, and while my blood sugar levels were doing very well on Atkins, I found that they would significantly drop during the day.....several times during the day at times. This was a problem, as consuming anything to help bring my sugar levels back up (i.e. something w/ sugar) would throw this diet off. But, even when this did happen, I still stuck to the diet and would eat some cheese, which did seem to help me stop feeling shaky and funny a bit.

So, I think I'm going to dust off my copy of the diabetic diet I was given along time ago and see if this will help me shed pounds and keep my sugar levels from dropping. I was given a 1500 cal. diet, and while that doesn't look like much food on paper, I'm sort of concerned that it may? be too many calories to lose weight on. What do you think???? I have a dr's. appt. this next week and I will check w/ the doc to see what he thinks. If I don't move onto a new diet though, it won't take much for me to belly up and lose motivation.

Thanks Peach pit, 25, mum2five, Ruthxx and everyone else for your support. I plan to stay apart of this group if you'll let me, even if I have to ditch low carb!! Hope you all keep fighting the fight with me!!

Robin