Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 AM   #16  

Good morning,
Aleka, that is a powerful poem and all so true. I think I'll send a copy to our nursing homes in town. Thanks for passing it on.

I'm not sore today. I still need to go work out, but I slept in. I had some crazy dreams at the end and I feel like I didn't sleep at all last night.
Do you post over at HSN? I use to, but there are some crazy (and very rude) people there, so I just read mostly now. Then there is the weekend troll and that person just ruins the boards on the weekend.
The closest shelter we have is 30 miles away. They are trying to get the money together for one here, but that's been going on for years.

Anne, I haven't been to the BF boards for awhile, I'll have to check out Sherri's picture. Hopefully, things go well at the office today. You must have a knot in your stomach all the time. I feel for you.

Well, got to finish my coffee and start to exercise. Have a good day, Nikki
Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 AM   #17  

Smile

nikki, I used to post over on HSN occasionally, but under a different name. I don't post anymore unless there is a poll that appeals to me. Otherwise I just lurk, especially on the weekends when the trolls are active. I am going to print out that poem for myself, keep it in my pocketbook, then whip it out whenever I find myself getting impatient with an elderly person in a supermarket or store. I have a funny feeling I'll be taking it out a lot.

ANNE, hope that your sons have a nice visit with you today at work. It's nice that they take an interest in your work.

Aleka
Old 03-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #18  

Anne,
I went over to the BF site and Sherri sure does look a lot different and younger. I see Jayaredee is posting over there now. I'm sure it's the same one that use to post here, who else would come up with that name? Besides, he talks about being a former SS'er. Funny how you can go all over the web and it's still a small world.

Aleka, it's hard for some people to step outside of themselves and walk in some one elses shoes for awhile. This poem sure does open a persons eyes to that, doesn't it?

Nikki
Old 03-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #19  

Goodmorning Ladies: I just read the posts under topic review, my something new for today. ladies !!!! Aleka that poem broke my heart. I printed a copy for me and sent it along to all my family members. My brother and DD HATE going to nursing home. Maybe it will be easier after they read the poem. My DD lives so close to the home but has a hard time going, DB practically drives by the door on his way home from work and goes once a week, didn't go this week couldn't face it. I wish I was closer. The dog idea met with stoney silence with DH. He can't talk about the dog (sound familiar Sugar)? I wish we could talk about her maybe it would make it easier on me. He isn't sleeping much, this is the man that when his head hits the pillow at night he is asleep. I will keep watching the sight and get DD to talk to him. She can usually get a lot more out of him than me. Also everyone but especially Aleka because of the machine shop, I have a favorite sweat shirt 90% cotton with a grease stain on it that stain removers hasn't budged any suggestions? Poor you Anne I can't fathom hating to go some were 5 days a week, it must be terrible. Friday's weather is going to be very spring like and the Mandarin sounds like a great way to unwind. I love chinese it is probably my favorite. I slept well again last night what a differance it makes in how you face the day. Along nap today Nikki? Well have to go DH wants to go out and I wanted to go to Laundromat to wash mats. Will be back later
Old 03-22-2004, 02:17 PM   #20  

Another question, I noticed that under the additional options there is attach files. There is a code jpg. That is beside my photo's beside their title. Does this mean I can post photo"s here?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #21  

Lynn,
I use something that I found at Walmart called Zout. It can be used on grease stains that you have washed a hundred times and can't get out. I pretreat with it for about 10 min and then wash like usual and it gets out all the grease stains I could never get out before. I have a terrible habit of dropping food on my boobs. When we go out, and I drop something there, DH says. "Well, now that we're past that, we can now relax." He knows how hard I try not to do drop my food off my spoon, but that area is like a food magnet
Another one, is to get a container of hand cleaner like they use in the garage or mechanic shops. My DH gets something called GoJo. It's a hand cleaner that dissolves grease, but it says on the container to use it on clothing to remove heavy grease stains, like motor oil or axle grease. I never really tried it on those things. You can buy this at Dollar General or anywhere they sell automotive supplies.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #22  

Yep those boobs get in the way don't they!!!!!!! I have seen that stuff I will get some the next time we go to Barrie. I will check the dollar store here for mechanic's soap, thanks for the suggestions
Old 03-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #23  

lynn, do you have oxyclean in Canada? They have a bottle of stain removal in a spray bottle. I also use believe it or not, Dawn dish detergent. I squirt some of that on a stain then use a small bristle brush, something that you would use to clean the dirt off your hands, then throw it in the washing machine with the rest of the laundry. Sometimes I use both Dawn and the Oxyclean and it works. I tend to get stains where nikki gets her's too. Yes, you can post pictures here. I have tried it a number of times but haven't had any luck. It always said the picture was too large. The one I did manage to post was a little bigger than a postage stamp. This was a few years ago before the site was upgraded. I haven't tried lately.

Have a good evening everyone.
Aleka
Old 03-23-2004, 04:10 AM   #24  

Good Morning All:

Aleka, we do have oxi clean and I wouldn't be with it The spray has
just come on the market too and they can't keep it on the shelves. That
guy Billy is on our shopping channel a few times a year with great deals
though you can get oxi clean powder in most of our grocery stores.
That was a lovely poem. I found it very touching indeed.

Nikki, Jayaredee, boy thats a name from the past!! Remember all that I agree with though, Sherry looks great. I was really
impressed.

Well Lynn our weather is suppose to improve today. I can't wait until
Wednesday when I can get out of my winter coat. Its looking pretty
sad right about now

We are having a garage sale at work today. I wish I could take advantage
of some of the office furniture but I don't know how I would get it home
To jump in a cab would cost 40.00 at least so any deal you get might not be
great. I should look at computer pieces like a new mouse, keyboard etc.
they are easy to manage and I find our mouses are always breaking. The
boys are very heavy handed with them!!!!

Hi Sugar, hope all is well with you.

Have a great day.

Anne.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:39 AM   #25  

Anne just looked at the time of your posting and last night wasn't a great night was it? The weather has sucked big time lately. Right now it is half rain and half snow. A lot of my friends first computers came from office sales. If you know someone it can make it a lot cheaper. How did the boys visit go? Did show up when they were there? Last night was the first time since we left the trailer at the end of September that my computer was sooooo slow in the evening. I was looking for a site and the commands took forever. When I went to print it took forever than said I had to have a printer to print!!!!! I gave up and shut down. That used to happen in the evening at the trailer when the kids overloaded the system downloading music. Next fall I will go to cable here for my internet hook-up. What are every body's Easter plans. What do you cook?? I will probably do a turkey dinner at step-fathers, He has the dog that can't be left alone. I wanted to do a dinner at DB's but he wants to go to friends who have a big party. It is so big we all were invited but my kids don't want to go and my mother will be to confused in that setting. DIL's family in Michigan have a big dinner also I have told them if they think the baby would be ok on the long trip go there, as usual my plans will change with my step-fathers whim's. At xmas my mother was very upset when we had to take her back to nursing home, it was one of the worst time of my life it was heart breaking, so we can't take her to her house. With the the wheelchair and steps at the kids houses, their houses are out so that left my brothers (he lives in a condo). She couldn't handle the trip up here in the car. Another option is taking her out for lunch to a restaurant. We can also rent a room at the nursing home fully equiped and take a dinner there. I think a lunch out and a visit from everyone will be the best option but time will tell. I am going to try to post a photo today. On one of the other forums a lady has a flashing photo that must be her and her 2 kids. These machines never fail to amaze me You are all my witness's next fall I am going to take a computer coarse. There is so much to learn. I have also promised myself that I am going to join curves next winter. Did anyone see 20/20 last night. A program on the 10 biggest myth's? Low carb food was if I remember #9. Basically said what we have been posting for the last few months, if you forget calories it is no good, and the packaged food is 3x as expensive as regular (they used the peanut butter as an example). Well off to email kids and get a will be back later. Oh yes thanks for the advice will be attacking my shirt later.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 AM   #26  

Good morning,
Speaking of low carb food, I bought some new low carb frozen dinners last night. They are called Life Choice and have 12-17 carbs per meal. The thing that I liked was the calories were between 210 and 350 per meal. They cost 2.77 and Healthy Choice runs about the same, so thought I'd give them a go. The one I had last night actually reminded me of real food. It was chicken breasts in a mushroom sauce with green beans and red peppers. All tasted good and 210 calories.
I agree Lynn. I enjoy high protein and low carb eating. My biggest problem with it was, lack of self control. Dr. A says to eat until your full. I never really have had a sense of what that is. That's why I think counting calories is important for me. I think every diet will be ok for some people and not the best for all people.
Taking your mom back to the nursing home must have been really tough. I've had some experiences like that with my mom along time ago and it is really difficult.

Anne, I did my BF this morning. I hadn't done it in awhile and I couldn't believe how much better I felt after doing it. It really gets some good oxygen in your system. Hope you find lots of good buys at the sale. I use to love to go to garage sales. When we first moved here, I went all the time. It was really fun to get good deals on things. Now, I spend most of my time trying to get rid of stuff

Sugar, bet your going to have some nice weather. We are going to have one more day of 50's and then it will be in the upper 60's and low 70's after that, with a lot of rain, but it will be so nice to have some real nice warm temps.

Morning, Aleka. How's things in your part of the world?

Take care, Nikki
Old 03-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #27  

Just tried to upload a picture of my grandson at 24 hours old, hope it worked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blake.JPG (28.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-23-2004, 09:46 AM   #28  

I'm sooooooo happy. Sorry I could have picked a lighter photo. I only have 4 photos in computer at the moment. Another question you can click on image to make it larger is there a way to make the avater's larger to view?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #29  

Lynn,
He's just precious, so beautiful and sweet looking How old is he now?

I clicked on the picture and it was not too dark and was easier to see. I don't think there is anyway to make the avitar larger though, at least I don't know of any. Your doing great at learning all this new stuff, congratulations on your progress and on the wonderful little grandson
Old 03-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #30  

Wink

Hello everyone,

lynn, your grandson is soooo beautiful, oops, handsome. Congratulations! I didn't watch 20/20, but taped it. Thought it would be interesting to watch. We have high speed internet service and absolutely love it. Sometimes even that is slow, but not as bad as dial-up. Taking your Mom to a restaurant or having dinner in the nursing home both sound like good ideas. When DH's grandmother was in a nursing home, every holiday they ate at the nursing home in one of the recreation rooms. I know how hard it must have been for you bringing your mother back to the nursing home. This Easter, DH & I will be in FL and don't know what my IL's have planned. DH & I have planned to have a picnic at the beach and take Lacee with us, but don't want any hurt feelings if my MIL has something else in mind.

nikki, glad you liked those frozen dinners. Where did you get them, at your regular grocery store? I don't think I've ever seen that brand. I'll have to look for it in the grocery store. I know that Lean Cuisine has a low carb frozen dinner. I have read different ideas for feeling full. One is when you feel satisfied, and you don't want anymore food. You really have to be attuned to your body for the signals of hunger and fullness and it does take some practice.

ANNE, hope your sons' visit went well yesterday and didn't bother you. If you don't have a lap top, the sale at the hosp. would be a good place to get one. I remember Jayardee. I believe I saw a post by him in a site I went into once, but for the life of me can't remember the site, and was wondering if it was the same person. I remember seeing him on SS website when we all posted on it and all our posts went poof!

Sugar, how is everything going with you? Hope Rosalee and Lucienne are doing fine.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Aleka