Old 01-14-2004, 08:45 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Too Much Water

My sister has joined Atkins a couple days after I did. She really doesn't have weight to lose (but it's personal choice and she says she does). Anyway, she had started out losing 6 pounds, but for some reason has gained 3 back. She says she's going strictly by the book. She was told (by a person that does Atkins) that she's drinking too much water.

Is there such a thing as too much water? What other reason for the weight gain could there be (not that TOM-I already asked)?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Ive never heard of drinking too much water.....but if she is drinking alot of water and eating salty foods, that may be why she had gained back a few lbs.

Hope this helps
Robin
Old 01-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #3  
Head Princess

The only "too much water" I've ever heard of is drinking huge amounts of water in a very short amout of time. (Like 2 gallons in less than an hour) That will kill you.

But no, that's not the problem. Like Robin said, it could be salt.

Also remember, though, that the weight you lose in the first week in generally water weight. So it's completely plausible that this is just the fluctuation of water in her body. Once the body switches over into fat-burning mode (and this can take a couple of weeks) she'll see the real losses. But as with any mode of losing weight, the less you have to lose, the slower it tends to come off.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:48 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

Thanks. I'll ask if she's been eating more salt (she admits to eating tons of pork rinds. would that do it?) and let her know that it should start coming off again.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:54 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

yup, pork rinds would certainly do it (the salt on them, not the rinds themselves)
Old 01-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

I told her about the pork rinds and salt. She said she's going to cut back and see what happens. lol-my other sister switched to the South Beach Diet. I guess my mom started (I'm thinking Atkins but could be South Beach) but only told my one sister. Not sure why she wouldn't tell me (as I've got more lbs to lose than her we could have supported each other)--not sure if she thought I'd say something if she decided to drop it. Obviously she doesn't know me. Oh well! Their choice
Old 01-15-2004, 09:56 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Could be TOM is nearing for her ?
Old 01-15-2004, 01:39 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leens
Could be TOM is nearing for her ?
lol. nope already asked her that (politely of course-w/out trying to be nosy). rofl. None of my sisters need to lose weight (in my eyes) but they seem to think they need to shed 5-10 pounds (i'd kind of like to know WHERE they're hiding those pounds-maybe I can do the same. ) so they've either been on Atkins or South Beach. We'll see how long they stay on it.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #9  

Actually, you can drink too much water. I am an RN and worked on a psychiatric ward for many years. The patients would drink lots of water to flush out their meds, it's called water intoxication. This also leads to an imbalance in electrolytes. Read this article, it will give you some idea of what too much is and who is more suseptible to water intoxication.
http://blueprint.bluecrossmn.com/topic/topic100587242
Anything can be taken to extremes and the old saying, all things in moderation, is a good thing to keep in mind.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

The desired fluid intake is actually 1/2 oz per lb of weight. and then adjust up a bit as depending on your activity and sweat level and exercise. I kow some that drink 5-6 liters a day that is carring it too far. I guess they love to pee!! that actually comes to about 1 1/2 gals of water daily!!

Such as if you weigh 200 then drink 100 oz of fluid. rember 1 gal is 120 oz!

and if you weigh 300 then it is 150oz
Old 01-16-2004, 07:30 AM   #11  

Good point, Susan.

Lady Adnerb, I wasn't trying to imply that your sister had developed water intox. It's difficult to drink that much water and it takes a period of time to get to the point that your electrolytes are unbalanced. Some people think it's ok to drink unlimited amounts of water, and it's not. I just wanted to make everyone aware of that. You can get too much of a good thing.

What I bet happened with your sister is, she was eating more carbs than she realized. It's important to journal your eating. That way if you have a weight gain, you can go back and see if you had too many carbs. The labels on packages aren't always accurate. It's better to use a carb counter.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #12  
Baby Steps

nikkic-I hadn't thought you meant anything by talking about water intox. I knew you were just trying to help and inform I don't know how ANYONE can drink water and NOT have to pee alot! I'm always hoping I'm never away from a bathroom for very long! lol
Old 01-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #13  

Thanks LA, I was thinking about it during the night and thought that maybe I could be misunderstood and didn't want you to panic or take it wrong. You know what it's like trying to communicate on the computer, it's so easy for me to come across the complete opposite of what I intended. Good luck to you and your sis!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #14  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Nikkic I know the feeling many times i said things then took it too much to heart worring about if I said it right. i also was giving just a guideline for the water consumption. I too am a nurse and know of some instances of water intoxacation (no personal experience) But many people feel it is real easy to become water intoxicated. I just wanted to add that for a clarification.

I can not understand how people can think that drinking that much 2-3+ gallons is actually good as it should flush out the nutrients out of the body.

But anyways the point we are trying to make is just to make sure you do drink enough as your body does have to flush out the toxins of the fat burning. And it is important for the metabolism.