Old 10-17-2003, 12:53 PM   #1  

Default It's not fat!

I posted this somewhere in another thread, but I just want to bump this....

I keep noticing that everyone keeps saying just because they ate carbs that their weight shot back up. It's not fat. You cannot gain 3-5 lbs of fat in a few days. Just to let you girls know that each gram of carbohydrate holds 4 molecules of water in your system. And, when you ingest a carb, whether it be simple or complex most of it goes to your muscle fibers. The weight gain that you see is simply glycogen and water that's all! It come right back off when you restrict your carbs again. Here is a tip, (not that you should always cheat on your diet), but when you DO cheat, do moderate intensity cardio to help kick yourself back into ketosis quicker, and high intensity cardio gets rid of the gylcogen in your muscles. Also, stay away from fuctose when you DO decide that you are going to cheat, this goes straight to your liver, and makes it harder to get back into ketosis.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #2  
Slimwithin

Wow! The stuff I learn from this site is incredible! Thanks for the info, Determined.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the help! Just got back from dinner with hubby. Going to walk now (fast).
Old 10-18-2003, 07:51 PM   #4  
Senior Chicky

Thumbs down Wow!

Thank you so much for the terrific info D-G! This site always amazes me with the great support and info offered! (not to mention friendship-lol)

J
Old 10-18-2003, 09:19 PM   #5  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

That's very true! If you think about it a pound is actually 3500 calories...much more than most would normally consume in a day.

If you have gained a couple of pounds overnight, unless you have ACTUALLY CONSUMED an additional 7000 calories (which is highly unlikely)...the culprit is likely water retention and should disappear eventually.

Froufy
Old 10-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #6  

Good to hear. Don't know if it makes a gain any less discouraging, but good to hear.

Jen
Old 10-21-2003, 12:30 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Thank you so much for the info! I love all the great stuff I learn here!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #8  

Default Re: It's not fat!

Quote:
Originally posted by DETERMINED GIRL
I posted this somewhere in another thread, but I just want to bump this....

I keep noticing that everyone keeps saying just because they ate carbs that their weight shot back up. It's not fat. You cannot gain 3-5 lbs of fat in a few days. Just to let you girls know that each gram of carbohydrate holds 4 molecules of water in your system. And, when you ingest a carb, whether it be simple or complex most of it goes to your muscle fibers. The weight gain that you see is simply glycogen and water that's all! It come right back off when you restrict your carbs again. Here is a tip, (not that you should always cheat on your diet), but when you DO cheat, do moderate intensity cardio to help kick yourself back into ketosis quicker, and high intensity cardio gets rid of the gylcogen in your muscles. Also, stay away from fructose when you DO decide that you are going to cheat, this goes straight to your liver, and makes it harder to get back into ketosis.

I would have thought that it was more liver glucose, but no matter. When going back on, ten minutes or so of extreme exertion--stationary bike with the tension on hard, pump as fast as you can- ought to drive you into a hypoglycemic state, and do the trick.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:14 PM   #9  

Default Re: Re: It's not fat!

Quote:
Originally posted by rover1
I would have thought that it was more liver glucose, but no matter. When going back on, ten minutes or so of extreme exertion--stationary bike with the tension on hard, pump as fast as you can- ought to drive you into a hypoglycemic state, and do the trick.

Yes, you basically have to rid your liver of all it's glucose before your body will enter ketosis. But when a person weight trains and works out 5-6 days a week in ketosis, the carbs that you do ingest end up having the duty of replenishing the muscle as much as it can.