Old 09-01-2003, 08:50 AM   #1  

Angry Happy To Have Found This Forum!! (Newbie)

Hello All, I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to have found this forum for Low Carbers. After reading many post here and checking out other forums on different websites I thought that this to be the best. You all seem like a great group of people to share my Low Carb Journey with...

Currently, I am on the Atkins diet for the second time. I tried it a few years ago and had lost 17 pounds but I wasn't focused enough to stick with it. Like many others I have tried every weightloss plan there is I believe. Some were successful but I couldn't continue because the cost became too expensive. My last attempt was with weight watchers back in May of this year but I found that I stayed hungry and couldn't deal with the cravings. There again more money spent. So, since I was tired of giving my money away and not succeding I decided to give Atkins another try simply because I know it works and I don't have to pay anyone else.

On August 8, 2003 I began Atkins and to date have lost 8 pounds.
Would you believe that on my first day back on the plan that my sister who is pregnant orders a pepperoni pizza. Let me tell you it was a struggle but I refused. I am so proud of myself because I have not cheated once since I started. At work, I've refused everything from ice cream which I love and birthday cake. My focus seems to be intact this time because I plan to be the healthiest and sexiest middle aged woman I can possible be.

The only problem that I am having is I think I am stalling a little. Not sure as to whether or not I am eating too much protien or not getting enough fiber. I'm kinda trying to figure out what works best for me. Water has not been a problem. Drinking at least 100oz daily but I seem to have been stuck for the last week.
I would love to get some pointers from you all about how to handle these stalls..

Sorry my post is so long! Just wanted to let you in on where I am currently in my Low Carb Journey.

Wish Me Luck!!
Ldyluvly1358
Old 09-01-2003, 08:59 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to 3 fat chicks. you will find great support and friends.
-L
Old 09-01-2003, 09:13 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

gtood morning!!! and welcome lady.. and a big wave to l144!!! [i'm in instant reply mode otherwise i'd use smilies!]

these ladies are very very smart. and we're glad you're here.

how about posting a day or two of menus and let's see what's going on with you.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:04 AM   #4  

Thanks L144S & JiffyPop for the warm welcome! I need all of the help I can get. My goal this month is to exercise at least 4 times a week.

JiffyPop sometimes for Breakfast I will drink an Atkins Shake or I will have 2 eggs mostly boiled and a few strips of bacon. For Lunch when I'm at work I will have baked chicken with a salad made of romaine lettuce and cucumbers with a dressing that has
1 or less grams of carbs. I am getting into the habit of reading labels and looking out for hidden carbs. For dinner, I may have chicken, beef or pork chops with chopped broccoli or another salad. If I feel like I need something sweet I will grab a sugar free jello. But last week instead of sugar free jello I ate machodamia nuts for a snack. Another day I ate a couple of cheese sticks for a snack. Oh yes, I can't forget sometime on my salad I will put slivered or sliced almonds on my salads for added crunch. I really need to make my meals a little more exciting... Any suggestions.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Ldyluvly welcome, I too thought this was the most amazing group of people and wanted to find support here. It has helped beyond my wildest dreams (and they even listen when I get b**chy!)

So my first question whould be, are you still on induction?
If you are, nuts may not be so good and can slow some people down.

The bars, shakes, and convienence low carb stuff has stalled countless people here and once they stopped eating them, their weightloss started back up again.

Cheese can slow some people down if you're sensitive to it (i.e. me ) And in induction the limit is 4oz, which is 1/2 a cup, I believe.

Another helpful hint is to track your meals on http://www.fitday.com to ensure your 65F/5C/30P ratios are right. It takes awhile to enter in the custom foods (adjusting carb counts to net carbs) but it is soo worth it. It may be as simple as not getting enough fat in your diet. So put a few days into fitday and see what your ratios are. If they are too far off the recommended then that may be it. This website (ty froufy) saved me, I was way too far off the ratios and my weightloss stalled until I sorted it out, now not a problem at all.

And I sure hear you about spicing up your meals, there are great ideas in this forum under the recipe section and the atkins website does too, listed by which phase of Atkins you're in so it takes the guess work out of it.

Oh the long winded posts, I fear I may be known for them as well, at least I have company! Also, we have a weekly food log thread to post our menus in and we could look at them and let you know if we see anything as Jiff said.

Good luck, it is possible!

Tummy
Old 09-01-2003, 01:37 PM   #6  

Tummy Girl, You are absolutely right! Thanks for the tips. I just went to FitDay. What an awesome site. I registered and set my profile up. Once I put in what I had eaten aleady today and what I plan to eat later I can very well see where I have consumed to many carbs in the past week. My next step is to carefully plan my meals and snacks for the rest of the week. Who would have ever thought that a simple spice like garlic powder would have so many carbs.... I love garlic. Maybe I will check out the low carb recipe forum today.

Thanks Again!