Old 07-11-2003, 08:27 PM   #46  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Ruth, on other boards within this forum there are threads that are 7 and 8 pages long, sometimes more. And people do sort of keep up with each other in single threads (for instance, on the "Buddy Up" or "Support" forum you might see "Middle Aged Moms #29) with 8 pages of posts. Is that not allowed in the Low Carb area?

I'm really happy to keep up with the same smallish groups of ladies who are in the same kind of starting out area I'm in. Not that I don't want to "meet" others - I certainly do, but when a few people kind of click, is that discouraged? Esp as these people have posted fairly often and been really supportive so far (thanks girls!).

Just trying to sort it out. I've been posting in other areas of the site for ages and I've never found mods asking that threads be kept short or people not group together. Wouldn't want to step on any toes, but it seems there maybe different rules in the "low carb" area or at the very least, a different vibe?

Lamby, I HOPE the Splenda thing was my hold up. Hope you figure out yours - or maybe the scale will just starting moving again. You never know! And hey, if you can tell you're getting smaller then you must be doing SOMETHING right And I agree, weekends are hard but LAST weekend I just kept telling myself that I didn't want to let myself take two days and undo a whole WEEK of hard work! I'm sending you stay-strong vibes!
Old 07-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #47  

Thanks for the advice on the cheese Lamby. I loooooove cheese too! Thought I had a free ticket but maybe not. Nicole, I have checked out the Atkins site, It is really great! I am on there every day looking at something or other. Have you girls looked at all the before and after’s on that site? It’s pretty encouraging!

Well here I am sitting in my black one piece bathing suit. I look like a barrel with legs! We just bought this new house with a pool and I am hardly ever in it, because I am so embarrassed about my weight. My husband has allot of friends that like to Pop in on us! I don’t want to be caught in the pool in my bathing suit. Eeks! I can’t wait till I can look better in my bathing suit, and clothes. It was so hot today and I wore pants because yet again, my weight. Man, I have to loose this weight!

feffyy

Heaviest (267 pounds)
Current (264 pounds)
Goal (137 pounds)
Lightest (145 pounds)

Last edited by feffyy; 07-12-2003 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #48  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whew! Didn't mean to step on any toes!

As I read every post, I'd prefer shorter threads but I can survive. Nothing is discouraged in here except criticism of others.

My point was that by not reading and asking questions elsewhere you might miss some info. This Forum is specific to Low Carb diets rather than a general Buddy Up or Support and we get lots of new folks every week. I wouldn't want them to restrict themselves to only one thread of the Forum.

Something to think about.

I'll shut up now.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #49  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Thanks for the tip. Just wanted to make sure we weren't unknowingly violating some community standards.

And I'm still checking out other threads all the time. A lot of my questions have already been addressed.

Thanks again!

feffyy, hadn't checked out the before and afters - but I will. I could use some encouragment right now. As for that pool - girl, you need to teach people to call before they come over (ok, maybe I'm the only anti-social one who has to have warning). A pool is a GREAT place to get exercise (hint, hint) but not if you have to worry about someone busting in on ya!
Old 07-12-2003, 11:15 AM   #50  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default THE MORE INFO THE BETTER!!!

...that's my motto. I LOVE this board, and have been a faithful reader...but I also visit other boards which have many more threads dedicated to low carb and specifically Atkins.

For those that are interested you may wish to visit:

www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com

or

www.lowcarber.org (and click on the blue bar on top, in the right corner where is says "support forum).

Both these sites also have some good recipes and ideas and I have been "collecting" them for future use!

Have fun!

Froufy
Old 07-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #51  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Thanks for the info! I'm always trying to find more sources!
Old 07-12-2003, 01:30 PM   #52  

Smile Down 7 pounds so far!!!

WOW, got on the scale this morning and it says I am down 7 pounds now! Cool! (this is my 4th day)

Hope it stays this way! I am sure I will be hitting a stall soon too.

Hey great advice on exercising in the pool Nicole, I will try to get out there early enough in the morning that I don’t have to worry about pop-inns! I am also wanting to get a tread mill. We moved here from an apartment complex that had a work out room, and I was there 5 days a week on the tread mill. This was last year of corse and have since gained the weight back. I know if I get one I would use it!

Thanks for the links Froufy I will have to check them out!

Hope everyone has a great day!

feffyy

Heaviest (267 pounds)
Current (260 pounds)
Goal (137 pounds)
Lightest (145 pounds)
Old 07-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #53  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Yay feffy! Congratulations!

We have very similar numbers - I was 268 when I started Atkins (I was 285 at my heaviest) and I'm now 260.

Again, congrats. Nothing like a big woosh to keep you motivated!
Old 07-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #54  
Slimwithin

Hi all. Just jumping in here to say hello.
I can't believe how many of you are hooked on soft drinks. I can honestly say that of all my many sins, that at least, is not one of them. I don't like the way the bubbles go up the back of my nose. I've also found that they make me thirstier.

As for slow or non-existent weight loss after the first few days, I really don't think it makes much difference if you have a lot or a little bit to lose. I think it has to do with age, medication and general metabolism. When I was in my early 30s (I'm 60 now), I went on Atkins for the first time and lost almost 100 lb in just a few months eating lots of bacon, whipped cream, nuts, cheese. It was incredible and, for the first time in my life, I felt like I had a normal person's appetite. It also cured my wild mood swings and constant heartburn. Back in those days, there was a real backlash against low carb diets though, and I let myself get talked out of sticking with the plan. Back came all the weight, plus a whole bunch more. Now, many years and pounds later, I find it difficult to lose weight no matter what diet I try. It doesn't help to be on medications for various ailments either. So, to all you younger chicks, I implore you. Stick with the low carb plan. Don't let anybody talk you out of it and don't go back to your old ways of eating once you lose your weight. It really IS much harder to lose the older you get.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:41 PM   #55  

Thanks for the advice LindaBC! Actually a few days ago I was thinking of going off of Atkins. I was looking around the success pages and stumbled apon one that was really bagging the whole low carb thing. They almost had even me talked out of it, saying that it was unhealthy etc. I feel better since doing this diet then I have in along time so I think I will keep going for now, until I feel differently.

Nicole, wow, our #’s are about the same! It’s great to know I am not alone in this journey!

feffyy
Heaviest (267 pounds)
Current (260 pounds)
Goal (137 pounds)
Lightest (145 pounds)
Old 07-12-2003, 08:43 PM   #56  

Hey all, I have been doing atkins for 1 week. I started at 176 and am down to 169.

It has been really helpful to read this thread - I have one question, though...

A lot of you are saying that you had problems with heartburn BEFORE the diet. I have never had this problem, but it has been getting worse with each day of this nutritional approach. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Maybe my body can't take all the protein?

Anyway, great job all - keep up the good work.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:03 PM   #57  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Linda - I've cut back on the Diet Coke, that has to count for something And I hear you about the age thing - when I was in my teens and early 20s it was like the weight just fell off when I THOUGHT about losing weight. It's a much bigger battle now and I'm only 30.

Feffy - don't let anyone talk you out of what you know is right for you. Now if for some reason you should find that it's not working - and I don't really think you can tell in just a few days time - then you can re-think the whole thing. MOST PEOPLE JUDGE LOW CARB DIETS BY ATKINS INDUCTION and that's where they get their negative impressions. They also seem to think it's an all you can eat festival of fat for the rest of your life and WE know that's not the case Right? Right!

Bailey - congratulations on the weight you've already lost. I don't really have any advice on the heartburn but I can tell you what causes it for me - eating until I'm over-full, eating late at night, eating when I'm not hungry, onions, tomatos, garlic, etc late at night. Honestly, over-eating and eating when I'm not hungry seem to be the biggest issues - do you find maybe you're eating "just because" or possibly eating something you didn't eat before?

If I were you, and if you haven't alread, I would post this question in it's own thread. Chances are if you've had this problem then someone else has too. Hope you find a solution because I know how miserable it is. I am SO HAPPY to be heartburn/indigestion free! It is SUCH a relief! Hope someone has the answer for you.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:57 PM   #58  

Thanks Nicole!

The thing is I have been forcing myself to eat. Problem is, if I didn't I wouldn't really eat at all.

Today, for example, I had 2 eggs with a little cream cheese for breakfast, a slice of havarti for a snack. For lunch I made a salad, but could only get down 3 bites. The heartburn just built all day, plus I had massive abdominal cramps. Maybe its my appendix?? LOL I think it is the change in diet.

I finally had 3 bites of cereal with half-n-half and water to see if that might "get something going". I could not think of eating anything that was more acidic than basic. It is now 10 pm and I am still not at all hungry. Still having heartburn and cramps and the thought of any food, but especially meat or veggies, makes me gag.

I will post this question as its own thread to see what others have to say. Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2003, 02:36 AM   #59  
Bad Mamma Jamma

This does not sound good. In fact, this almost doesn't sound food related - are you possibly sick? In all honesty, if I were you I would either see a doctor or let go of this way of eating and go back to "normal" for a few days and see what happens. You've probably already posted this but - how long have you been doing this? Have you had these symptoms essentially since you started? Have you been careful to get in enough fiber? Not to get too personal, but if you've had a problem er..."getting something going" (to quote you) you may just need a few fiber-filled days to get back to normal. I'm sure alot of people find this way of eating quite...um, well - binding.

I feel awful for you. You must be miserable. I'd take a few days off and if you're not better then see a doctor.

Feel better! And keep asking this question in various forums, perhaps someone else will have something more informative (I hope!).
Old 07-13-2003, 05:30 PM   #60  

Thanks again Nicole!

I have been doing this since the fourth. I have had a lot of burping and a little heartburn the whole time, but the whole stomach thing just came out of nowhere on day eight. Well, not really out of nowhere - on day 7 I had NO veggies.

I can't say I was constipated, as I was quite regular on friday. But I finally broke down late last night and got phillips and gas-x and feel much better.

I am thinking I am going to try a few more days with all of my veggies and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice!