Old 04-15-2003, 01:06 AM   #1  

Unhappy Challenges of Low-Carbing in Tokyo!

Hello everyone,

Today is my 6th day on induction. Over the weekend I was out and it was terribly difficult to find food with no/low-carb at the millions of restaurant in Tokyo. I ended up eating heaps of "sashimi" - raw fish! I think I ate enough raw fish of all sorts to last me a year!

I also found another Japanese dish that is low in carb. It`s called "yakitori"- charcoal grilled chicken. And they do all parts of the chicken. It`s very yummy. All they do is sprinkle enough amount of salt and grill it until it is crispy but not burnt.

By the way, my weighing scale broke on Sunday night!!! Haven`t had time to replace it..so, am not too sure how much weight I`ve lost but certainly my clothes do not feel snug anymore. I have definitely lost at least 1/2 inch. It`s almost unbelievable especially with the amount of food (rather..fat!!) that I`ve been eating !!!

One quick question, when you`re low-carbing, does the "don`t eat too late at night" apply? I used to restrict myself to no meals after 7 or 8 PM..but do I need to now?

Also, how about pumpkins? are they allowed. I am getting conflicting info on the carb amount. If it is allowed, then I ahve this amazing Japanese pumpkin salad recipe to share with you!

Hope everyone is well!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:01 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Peko

Sounds like your doing great!!

I checked the pumpkin and 1 cup of raw pumpkin cubed, is 8 carbs. So I dont see why you cant have it on Atkins.

Dont forget to eat your veggies

Robin
Old 04-16-2003, 06:52 PM   #3  

Default hi Peko!

I will be in Japan for a week in late June, and also for three months later this year for fieldwork. I'd love to hear how you go low-carbing in Tokyo! The other times I've been there I have been happily chowing down on all the rice and noodles, but I'll have to be creative from now on. Let me know your tips!

Michelle.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:48 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

How is it going??? Are you still hanging in there??? Stick to the vegies and meat!! light on the sauses.