Old 02-03-2003, 04:26 PM   #1  

Default ok ladies I'm ready to give up!

I'm sorry I just can't keep eating like this with no loss. I'm heading into my 4rht week of atkins, having lost just 3/4 of a pound in two weeks. The first weeek i lost 5 but that was weight I had gained over Christmas. I'm not eating anything I'm not suppose to. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that I'm getting around a 1000 cals a day. Can upping that by 200 really make a difference. I'm just not sure I'm a believer in that. But hey I'm up to being converted. Do you guys have proof of the necessity to eat above 1200 and why is 1200 so magical? Help me1 I'm only giving this one more week andhten I quit. I just can't keep on at this level of intensity without seeing a loss! I'm so worried. I just don't know what to do!

Last edited by Wishing; 02-03-2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:18 PM   #2  
Enjoying a new beginning

Oh Wishing...
how I wish I could reach out and give you a hug. I'm not a low carb expert and know several of the ladies here will be able to offer great program advice. But I do know about feeling overwhelmed and ready to give up. Since Feb of 2000, I have had 2 mastectomies and just last week found out that I now have lymphoma. Boy!! Did I feel overwhelmed..I allowed myself a day to rant and rave and had a quite a pathetic pity party. The next day I was determined to find joy in each day, let go of the past and let the people around me know how much they meant to me. Please don't think I'm trying to belittle your situation. I see the pain in your message and know you are distressed. I started doing the low carb thing to ease chemo side effects. I really felt better and what a bonus to be losing some weight ( 14 lbs so far). Is low carb for everyone?? Probably not..but I know there is a plan which will help you feel better. Perhaps you need to do a little more research..but please don't give up on yourself. Just your mere presence on this planet is a miracle!! Pleae be kind to yourself and know your are special...Lori
Old 02-03-2003, 05:25 PM   #3  

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I know things could be worse and my condolences to you. You must be one brave lady. I just need to keep plugging away. As far as feeling good this diet makes me feel very good! I have hypoglocemia so this really helps control my insulin. but I want to control my fat too. Ya know what Imean?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:30 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Wishing,

If you don't eat enough, your body thinks it is starving and will try to hold onto your fat. Also, the scale doesn't always tell the true story. Start measuring yourself! I can tell you in my first month of low carbing I've lost 14 inches that I have counted. The scale though doesn't say too much

Also, some exercise is important, not sure if you have started an exercise plan.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:51 PM   #5  
Slimwithin

I'm so sorry about your lymphoma, Grin. What are they doing to treat it?
Wishing, I know exactly how you feel. I lose at a snail's pace too...if at all. I do know that in my younger days (30s) I lost very quickly and easily on the Atkins plan. I ate a LOT of meat, cream, cheese, eggs, etc. I also increased my activity level ....which was easier for me to do in those days without too much pain. I believe the exercise made the difference even though all I did was bike ride for about 15 minutes a day. I'll have to start doing that again only on a stationary bike this time. I don't want to cause any semis to go careening off into the ditch at the sight of me wobbling down the road.
Try eating more. If you're not losing anyhow, what can it hurt? I haven't read any of your daily menus but you can easily have 4 slices of bacon and a couple of eggs in the morning. You can have several pieces of fried chicken or a couple of burger patties with salad for lunch. Don't be afraid of higher fat snacks such as sugar free jello with a big dollop of whipped cream. When your body starts to believe that it's going to be well fed, it will stop hanging on to the excess fat. (that's the theory anyhow and it worked for me all those many years ago).
Old 02-03-2003, 08:38 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

You gotta move it to loose it.

My most successful weeks were when I did my walking, and weight training. When I did nothing other than daily life. I stayed the same, or went up.

You can do this!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:15 PM   #7  

Talking

wishing - Post a few of your daily menus including what you drink, condiments, etc. I am the "queen" of making induction mistakes After one month, three weeks of goofs and medicatons I finally lost 5 pounds.

Ellie
Old 02-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #8  
CatGal

Default Please eat more!

I firmly believe that you are not eating enough. Figure out how many calories is will take to sustain the weight you want to be at the activity level that you are at right now. Then make sure you take in at least that many when you are excercising. If not, you can knock it down a bit but not by much! Check out this site:

http://www.westfloridahospital.com/HC_CalNeeded.asp

GinaMarie
Old 02-04-2003, 01:03 PM   #9  

Wishing you gotta eat more. 1000 cals on any kind of diet is way too low. Your body will hang onto any stored fat with that amount of calories. It's not even getting enough for basic body functions. Don't even count the calories for now, just the carbs. Also, if you are very insulin resistant it will take much longer for your body to let go of the fat (but it will build muscle during this time). Make sure you get lots of fat and protein at every meal/snack. And if this is helping your blood sugar levels don't abandon it completely...tweak it. Good luck.

Grin, I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through.You are a strong woman with an admirable attitude. Next time I feel sorry for myself I'll be thinking about you and and your strength!
Take care.
Jen
Old 02-04-2003, 09:08 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I agree with eat more. That is the biggest mistake of anybody that is over weight. no matter what diet they are on.

(soap box please)

This goes back to the cave man days when the women were left in the cave to care for the children while the men went off to gather food for the women and they were gone for weeks at a time. The MEN were able to eat regularly (there for not building this defence mechanism) and the women were left with many weeks left to eat very little and feed the children (including breast feed) so they had to learn to conserve the fat to keep energy to feed the kids. So the body goes in to what we term starvation mode. there is not enough to maintain the bodys BMI so it slows down the metabolism down to under the caloric intake.

This is even though now a days we do not have to go weeks with out food we have taught out bodies to go into the "starvation" mode every time we drop our calories. this is learned and every time we drop calories it learns to read the message faster and faster so it slows down ever time it things we are starving to get down. This is very evident when we can eat less than 800 calories (just a mere 200 more than you are eating) and still gain weight.

(stepping off soap box)

My DD is needing the computer so i can not find the sites now, but freeman porter has a wonderful site that you can find your minimum caloric intake just to maintain your bodies BMI. I know mine was about 1600 calories ad i weighed 170 at the time i had last checked (gained some since then)