Old 01-07-2003, 02:53 PM   #1  

Default New to this

Hi everyone, just started a low carb diet. Can anyone tell me where I can get the ketostix strips? Also for the atkins diet can anyone tell me some of the portions I can eat, such as how many eggs in a day or chese ect... any infomation would be great. Thanks so much.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:02 PM   #2  

Hi keltra,
Firstly, you can get the ketostix at any drug store. Normally, they are behind the counter and you have to ask the pharmacist for them, even though they are not prescription. I think my container of 50 was about $15.

Secondly, the BEAUTY (in my mind) with Atkins is that you don't have to worry about portion control. You can eat as much as you want as long as it contains no carbs. It might sound as if you'd go out of control, but you will find it very hard to overeat once you've given up carbs for a couple of days. The portions of protein that will satisfy you will be between 4-6 oz. and if you pair them with a veggie, you'll feel full and satisfied for a while.

I wouldn't recommend you monitor the quantity of food you eat AT ALL for the first couple of days. The first couple of days should be devoted to getting off carbs, IMHO. Eat as many pork rinds, hard boiled eggs, etc. as you want. I know Atkins says that you should not go above 4 oz. of cheese, but that is because cheese contains carbs (a small amount). Still - 4 oz of cheese is a lot, when you add it to the eggs, meat, chicken, fish and veggies you can eat in a day.

Check out our food logs, they are really informative. Keep us posted on your progress, and welcome!!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #3  

Where do I find the food logs? I feel lost. Thanks Tilly for the advice!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:36 PM   #4  

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of the board soon enough. The food logs are usually on the first page of postings. Today they say "January Challenge Food Logs, Week of January 6". Most recently they have either been started by RobinH or me. It really helps to post on them!!

Also, have you been to the Atkins website? It has a wealth of information and also an FAQ section, plus guidelines on how to do induction, and ongoing weight loss. Check it out at www.atkinscenter.com.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:53 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to the 3FC site and the Low Carb Forum! You'll like it here and have fun as you get and give support.

And we do have a frequently asked question section in this Forum too. Some of your questions could be already answered there.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:37 PM   #6  
Slimwithin

Welcome Keltra. May I suggest that you get the book and read it from cover to cover? That's what most of us here have done. In fact, I've read the DietRevolution so many times that it's getting very ragged around the edges. It's just that it really helps to understand the background and the principles behind the low carb diet. There are also other things you should be doing besides just eliminating most carbohydrates and you'll find out about them in the Atkins books.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:49 PM   #7  

Angry Hi Keltra

If I may suggest you try using www.fitday.com that way you can see exactly what your consuming it takes all the guess work out of it. I bought my keto sticks at the health food store for 9.99 and my health food store has great low carb food you can use after induction. I cant tell you and sure fire way to make it work but I try my hardest to stay away from fake sweets but do endulge in some fake bread or Pastila (lc pasta)
Old 01-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #8  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I eat 4 + eggs a day it depends on how hungry I am. and how long it will be till my next meal. eat till you are full. and make sure you are eating enough too.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:28 PM   #9  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

yup.......what they said!!

Welcome Kelltra......you've found a great place for support!!