Old 11-20-2002, 10:48 PM   #1  

Question new and confused member, help!

I started the Atkins diet a week and a half ago and was wondering how much weight loss to expect and how soon? I have about 25 pounds I'd like to drop, can this be done in under a year? I have never dieted before and am in my early thirties, quite smoking in June. I have only just started this diet but I am totally amazed at how great I feel. I never realized how poorly my body reacts to carbs. Can anyone advise me about what to expect within the next month on this diet, any tummy problems?
Please Help!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 11:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Tummy problems? Well, if you don't drink all your water and eat some leafy green veggies, you could have a slow down, if you know what I mean. Other than that, I have noticed a marked decrease in gas which is always a good thing! You begin to lose quickly on Atkins, that's a great reward. However, once you come out of induction it will slow down, maybe a pound or two a week. This is also good, gets you used to eating healthy for the long run to keep the weight off. Plus, you only need to lose 25, I need to lose 90. For some reason it seems the more you need to lose, the quicker the first few go. Hmmm, have I confused you more? Good luck with this way of eating, it's great!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:59 AM   #3  
Domestic Goddess

I only had the usualy tummy problems when I first started. I had sort of a queezie feeling that was...unpleasant. Now I dont have that problem.

You asked can you expect to lose 25 pounds in a years time. I think I'd be safe to say yea, that could be done. You might not see it come off quickly especially since you dont have alot to lose but it will come off if you follow the program

Congrats on quitting smoking. That's a great thing to do for yourself.

Please feel free to post and I am looking forward to getting to know you. You have definately taken the right step in getting help. This is one great place filled with some of the best people.

Blessings, ChrissyB
Old 11-21-2002, 11:08 AM   #4  

Hi Mouse,
I think you can definetly expect to lose 25 lbs. in a year. I had 22 lbs. to lose when I started, and I have already lost 12. (I haven't weighed this week yet, b/c I cheated a couple of times and don't want to get depressed. I am going to weigh next Monday). Have you weighed yourself yet? I definetly lost inches too. I started b/c none of my winter clothes fit me, and now I can wear them all comfortably. So this is good.

I also noticed a big decrease in gas. Let's put it this way, I rarely have it now. Also a big increase in energy, and my breasts did not swell before my period as they usually do. I need much less sleep and generally feel so much better. I tend to eat more veggies, but I love that I can put butter on them!!

Keep us posted on your progress...