Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Low Carb Freestyle Weekly, 10/28

Gooooooood morning ladies! Do you mind if I start another thread for the week? I am ready to LOSE WEIGHT this week! How about everybody else!?
Old 10-28-2002, 09:18 AM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hi Jennifer!

I am up 2 lbs this week so I am definitely motivated to lose it!
Old 10-28-2002, 10:22 AM   #3  

Hi Ladies,
I am also willing to lose 2 pounds this week, tell me how do you do it? how do you stay motivated?

Psych
Old 10-28-2002, 11:46 AM   #4  

Good Morning Everyone,
What a great day I'm having. I got up and stepped on the scale and I've lost 2 more lbs. I'm now down 24 big ones! This time change has me all mixed up too, Aleka. By 830am, I'd put in a full day it seemed. I went to the Dr. today. We went over my blood work from last month. She said it was all great and that my cholesterol and triglycerides were really low. I asked what they were, but I've already forgotten. Guess, my memory is still not that great. I talked with her about getting a breast reduction and she set up an appointment with a plastic surgeon. She said they find a way to make the insurance pay for it, which is a big relief to me. I have wanted one for so long, but I didn't think I could afford it, so I never even looked into it. I want perky little puppies, not lap dogs.

Hello, Psych. I'm doing a low carb diet, like Atkins, but I modified it to fit my own life. I hate to count carbs, so I don't. I think it's tedious and makes me feel kind of anxious. So I eat according to his diet plan and don't worry how many sticks of celery I eat or cups of lettuce. I eat a lot of meat and cheese, and try to have a salad with lunch and supper with a vegetable of some sort. I eat good fat, but I don't eat a lot of it. My diet is satisfying and I never feel hunger. If I am, I eat. I exercise everyday. I started at 2 1/2 min. and I'm up to 40 min. a day. Everyday, I try to push myself to do a little more and try a little harder. My motivation comes from the way I feel and the way things are changing for me. I feel great, my energy is way up, my physical problems are getting better and I'm losing weight. I started out a size 26 and I'm now a size 24 and they are loose.

Hope everyone is having a good day too. Anne, how are you doing, I've been worried about you all weekend.

Talk to you later, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 10-28-2002 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:38 PM   #5  

Hi Ladies!

Jennifer, I am definitely motivated! I am getting closer and closer to where I was before the big pig out (the good news is it took me almost a year to gain 20+ lbs)! I lost another 2.2 in weigh-in on Saturday, so I feel sooo light

Mauvisroux, I know those nasty two lbs will just drop off, along with some of their buddies in no time.

Psych, welcome! I'm staying motivated by posting here with these great people and by going to WW meetings along with my low carbing. (they have low carb options, so I'm not rocking the boat there) My style is part Atkins and part a variety of the other low-carb writers. My latest of interest is one I learned about here, Schwarzbein, but I'm mostly reading, not doing hers.

Nikki, you are continuing to do so very well! Congrats on the loss! Let us know how the surgery interview goes. I'd love to have that done too. I'm pretty sure I'd have to pay, but it would be so worth it to be perky finally!!!

I have been reading about protien requirements. Anyone have a good source that they use to be sure they get enough in? Su
Old 10-28-2002, 05:28 PM   #6  

Hi All:

Nikkic congratulations! 24 pounds is alot of weight.
I am still experiencing problems. The stupid thing keeps
going to quit and then starts up again. I am disgusted.
This mid life transformation is not going to be fun. As a matter
of fact it really stinks.

My weight stayed the same this week but I don't mind. My
parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary
at the end of Novemeber. It will be a major challenge not to
eat all the goodies that our family members will be preparing.

I have to start to psyche myself up now. How did your weigh
in go at WW Aleka?

Take care,
Anne
Old 10-28-2002, 10:51 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Hi Anne! I am sorry you are still having trouble. I went through menopause for about 3 months when I was being medicated to shrink my fibroid tumor. I got cranky, sad, sweaty and dried out, and it didn't even shrink the tumor. And joy, I get to experience it again someday! When my mom was going through menopause she also had a tough time with periods. Her doctor put her on hormones to push her on through, and she felt like a million bucks. However, with all the hormone stuff in the news lately, it might not be as good of an idea. Her doctor took her off of her hormones last week and gave her a progesterone oil to rub on her butt twice a day! I dunno if it will work or not. Will update you!

Su, for extra protein, try protein shakes. I buy chocolate whey powder at the health food store and add some cottage cheese, cocoa and instant decaf coffee, whirl it up in the blender with some ice cubes and YUM, really good and about 30grams of protein with no sugar. You don't have to add cottage cheese, but you can't tell it is in there, and it helps thicken the shake. Be sure and read the nutritional info to see you are getting low carb powder.

Welcome, Psych! To stay motivated, I keep posting here. Getting to know others like me and watching their progress and struggles helps keep me moving. Nice to have you along!

Ok, that is all for tonite. I gotta pay some bills!

Have a nice night everybody!
Old 10-28-2002, 11:32 PM   #8  

Hi again,
I'm going to bed soon, man this has been the longest day. Anne, I take soy supplements. It is for womens health according to the bottle. I know I'm jumping the gun, but I figure soy can't hurt. Anyway, have you thought of trying it?

Su, I've never thought I wasn't getting enough protein. I have all protein meals sometimes and then I feel guilty and eat some celery. How much protein are we suppose to eat? I've really never even worried about it. It seems like I'm always eating some kind all day long. I'm glad I like meat.

Jennifer, did you get the gazelle? I was doing it this morning and DH said that I must like it because I feel like I'm running. I never thought of that, but I do. It's been years since I could run. My boobs were always so big, I just couldn't run without hurting myself.

Night everyone, sweet dreams, Nikki
Old 10-29-2002, 09:09 AM   #9  

Hello everyone!

I got my psyche psyched last night! I love shoes and I found some gorgeous leather designer sandals on sale last night for 80% off! Normally, I would have said "Hold on, those may not go with anything next summer." I decided they would go with my 'hot' or at least much 'hotter' body! So, I got red ones and black ones.... total was $15 dollars instead of the actual original price of $110. And I LOVE them!! Wheee!

I'm doing OK with the meals this week. I had a period of real fatigue for a couple of days. I think maybe I'm heading for a bad cycle this month. I am taking more B vitamins, and I'm hoping that will help. If not, I'll add something else in.

Jennifer, the protien shake sounds really good. I think I have some of the powder, and I like cottage cheese anyway. I have two long days a week where I don't get home until 10 or so, and these could save me!

Anne, congrats to your parents. Mine are just beyond 50. I think with the party and with menopause, you need to congratulate yourself for staying even for now. It is so easy to gain weight in the first charge of the hormones from your system!

Nikki, I like soy too. I think it really helped when I was going through some hot flashes. I'll have to see about some sites that may list daily needs. I'm like you... sometimes a few bits of cucumber are all I get with some protien meal. But I was trying to figure my needs based on a chart, and I got a bit worried. Since protien fills me up very quickly, I might not be getting enough. I'm thinking I might need to split my meals into smaller ones so that I can get enough. Breakfast is the one meal I can eat everything, so I've upped that meal. It seemed to help last week.

I'll talk to you ladies in a bit. Su
Old 10-29-2002, 10:47 AM   #10  

Angry Good morning,

I got weighed this morning...I'm down another lb. I was really surprised because with this cold I do not have the energy to exercise.

Jennifer, thank you for starting a new thread. The other one was getting rather long. I also had fibroid tumors, quite a lot of them actually, about 9 yrs. ago, but I had to have a hysterectomy. I'm currently taking the lowest dose Premarin available. The study is still on going in my "group", those just taking Premarin.

Welcome Psych, I stay motivated by the people on this thread, this is a great support group. I also attend WW meetings to keep me on the straight and narrow. The best motivation is starting to see results from your efforts. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Su, Congratulations on your weight loss!! Way to go on your sandals What a bargain!! I love a good bargain. I got my week 6, Right Mix, from WW today. I took the quiz and fell right in the middle, with the balanced eating. I still am going to go very easy on the carbs.

Nikki, Great job on your weight loss. Wow!!! 24 lb. gone. That's awesome That's also great you are doing so well on the Gazelle. You go girl! You must be happy that your bloodwork was good.

ANNE, congratulations to your parents on the 50th wedding anniv. My MIL & FIL are past 50 yrs. It's good that you stayed the same with all the celebrations.

I hope that you all have a great day. Aleka
Old 10-29-2002, 12:40 PM   #11  

Hi Everyone:

Wow, we are seeing some great weight losses here! You go girls!

Nikkic, I should try the soy I am not sure it is allowed on my program though. I have been under huge stress these last days
I have an 18 year old son that is really putting us through the paces not to mention my boss!

I am learning more about this perimenopause process as I read.
Do you know it can be another 5-7 years or more of this meno
fast forward thing? Anyways....this is all news to me. I thought the cycles were suppose to get shorter and further apart
and it ain't necessarily so!!!

Diet is great. Hopefully soon I will see another loss. You guys are
all doing great!!

Jennifer, I would love to hear about the oil and if it helps your
mom. I don't have any other symptoms except meno fast forward
no hot flashes or any thing like that yet.

Anne.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #12  

Hi everyone,

Anne, I'm sure Suzanne S. says that soy is funky, unless your a strict vegetarian. I think it is a protein/carbo mix. But, I don't eat soy, I take a soy extract. I was having aweful night sweats and this has helped me a lot. I have not noticed any change in my weight lose since I started to take it. You might consider it, I really don't think it will have any affect on your woe. Are you taking extra iron? I know what a difficult time having teens can be. I'm so glad my kids are older. My youngest daughter moved out when she was 17. She had already graduated early, had a job and saved up to move out. We had an argument over the washing machine and out the door she went. It was really hard, but she grew up pretty fast after that and is ok. You must be really stressed with your hormones all mixed up and everything else that is going on.

Su, loved the shoe story. I have such a hard time finding shoes to fit me. I have lovely size 11 WIDE feet. I hate to go looking for them. I know those sales guys must think I'm an amazon. I sometimes buy mens shoes, just to get something to fit. And I love the bargain you got too. When I find a good one, I'll buy 10 things. DH is always amazed at how much I'll buy of something on sale, but I figure I'll use it eventually. Are you sure the fatigue wasn't due to some sugar that might have crept in without your realizing it? I can hardly believe how many things sugar is in. I will always be grateful to Suzanne Somers for forcing me to read labels and see that they put sugar into everything. I've seen now where there is a company putting sugar in milk to get kids to drink more of it. They say it's healthy, oh come on. They do that to sell more of their product. Vitamin B is also a great idea. I take so many supplements, I couldn't begin to name them all. DH says I have invested enough in them to buy a new rear end for his truck.

Aleka, I hope your cold is getting better. Are you having as rotten weather as we are? It is cold, wet and gray here. Just right for colds and flu. Seems like everyone I talk to is sick right now. Hope your drinking plenty of fluids and resting as much as you can. Good going on the weight loss.

How are you Psych? Are you following an eating plan and if so, which one?

I bought the firm video tapes and the accompanying steps. I rearranged my exercise room so I can do it in there. Threw out the old cardioglide that I've used for a clothing rack for the last 5 years. I have always hated that thing. I've decided the only kind of exercise I will do routinely is exercise that I really enjoy. I don't have time in my life to do something that I hate. I've talked to some other people on the web about the firm. It seems like there is a very dedicated following. They call themselves firm believers. They all seem to swear by it. It sure looks hard, but I'm ready for a new challenge.

Got to go turn up the furnace, it is freezing in here. Later, Nikki
Old 10-30-2002, 02:51 PM   #13  

Hi All!

A brief dash in to tell you I figured out the fatigue issue!! I had an earlier blood pressure reading of +150/+90 which had really worried me, esp as it didn't go down with rest. Today I had a reading of 133/ 77 after running all over the place!!! Whoopee! I am soooo excited I didn't have to do meds to get it to start down. I know I can do better, but to change this much in about one month is tremendous. Su
Old 10-30-2002, 05:16 PM   #14  

Hi Everyone!

Great news about your blood pressure Su!! I bet you are happy.

I will be going out on Thursday night with one of my 12 year old
sons while he goes trick or treating. No goodies for me this
year

Sadly in the last few years Halloween is pretty dangerous at
times in Toronto. A couple of years ago one of my sons got
held up at knife point for his candy if you can beleive it. Mind you he was 16 at the time! Ever since then I haven't really been
crazy about Halloween.

Hope everyone is fine.

Anne.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:22 PM   #15  

Red face Good evening,

Su, that's great news about your blood pressure. I'm sure you are very excited.

ANNE, what a horrible and frightening experience for your DS. I can't get over him being held up to get his candy!! Stay safe tomorrow night.

nikki, our weather really isn't all that bad. It's sunny and in the 40's. The weather people were telling us we were either going to get rain or snow, and whatever was coming, it was going to be BIG! They've changed their minds. Now they say it will stay mostly out to sea. It can change 40 times by Sat. It was so nice today I went for a little walk. I haven't had the energy to exercise, but I am starting to feel better (thank you for asking) and want to get back into the swing of things. Good for you starting a new exercise routine. Good luck with it.

A HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO YOU ALL!!!

Aleka